Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can add this to the mess Valve and Bethesda created:
http://www.reddit.com/r/modpiracy/comments/33vn5g/if_you_purchased_a_mod_opt_for_a_refund_and_keep/

Pay for the mod, save the files and then ask and get the refund.
You can add this to the mess Valve and Bethesda created:
http://www.reddit.com/r/modpiracy/comments/33vn5g/if_you_purchased_a_mod_opt_for_a_refund_and_keep/

Pay for the mod, save the files and then ask and get the refund.

Well, duh. The mod files aren't DRMed. You can do the same thing with GOG games if you can convince them to give you a refund.

I suggest people not complain about this too much.

Uh, you do realize you get the refund in steam bucks, right?
As in not in real money?
Also, if you do it too often, Steam reserved the right to ban your Steam account.
The same account hopefully does not contain all of your >100 Steam games.

chotread

Educated
not that i care but

a hundred dollar bill attached to a string. literaly

Executr

Cipher
I really don't care what people do with their money, files and accounts.

I was just saying this is one more demonstration of the thought and care for implementation Valve has put to this clusterfuck. Hopefully this will bite them. Hard.

Gerrard

Arcane
Can we just stop calling what they sell on the workshop mods? When you're directly paying Bethesda, it's no different than all the shit DLC.

comment said:
Things people will pay for:
[ X ] unfinished 'early access'
[ X ] shitty mario figurines
[ X ] random digital hats
[ ] lovingly crafted mods

A pirate defending paid mods on a torrent site...
Care to explain how is he wrong though?

Oh wait, he's not.

The same people buying the 3 listed things there are currently buying mods on Steam, so he doesn't have much of a point.
Yeah, forgot to add "DLCs" in there.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
AHAHAHAHA
itsonngxkj.jpg

It begins.
For a second there I thought this was real...damn you to Oblivion! (pun intended)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The entitlement argument has increased with 1000% the last 12 hours. Every second forum post it seems like is using it on the Skyrim Steam forums. Mass shill army? Crazy people? Valve astroturfing?

Seerix

Arbiter
That's how much I'd sell my mods for. 25% is an absurd.

If Half-Life wiki is to be believed, Valve asked for 50% of profits in exchange for giving Garry access to entire source code of Source engine. So, yeah, totally like this paid workshop thing lol.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

If Half-Life wiki is to be believed, Valve asked for 50% of profits in exchange for giving Garry access to entire source code of Source engine. So, yeah, totally like this paid workshop thing lol.
Yeah, then modders cut should be even larger, since they have to do their wizardry without access to source code and support.

The entitlement argument has increased with 1000% the last 12 hours. Every second forum post it seems like is using it on the Skyrim Steam forums. Mass shill army? Crazy people? Valve astroturfing?
A lot of modders probably got angry that people try to dictate them to do with products of their time and work.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It doesn't help that Steam Workshop is a vastly inferior modding interface when compared to Nexus Mod Manager.
Doesn't change the fact that NMM completely pales in comparison to MO though.
Bottom-line is that Steam Workshop is only really designed with games like Dota and CS:GO in mind, where it only needs to handle shit like reskins, custom maps, and new items. Anything more complex than that causes it to shit the bed.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah, then modders cut should be even larger, since they have to do their wizardry without access to source code and support.
Well... even if he is giving Valve 50% of his profits for getting access to the source code I bet he is still paying additional 30% for selling GMod through Steam (I think that was the universally guessed amount) and that is pretty close to the 30/45/25 split Beth has come up with. Remember, you are not paying 75% to Valve, they only get their standard Steam cut and the rest is set by the IP holder, in this case our good friends Todd & co.

DraQ

Arcane
Hocking air, sunlight, or I guess Legos as someone mentioned earlier, aren't really the same as creating something and then trying to sell it. You've gone way too far extreme to set an example here.
Except that is the case here.

I don't have anything against mods being essentially 3rd party DLC being sold for money. However, there are many mods that aren't 3rd party DLCs. Many are 3rd party patches, many are dependencies for other mods that already exist and were built on assumption that their dependencies will remain free. Suddenly hiding those dependencies behind paywall is effectively yoinking the ground from underneath those other, often ambitious and worthwhile mods. Not to mention that free modding produces different, and advantageous structure of mods produced - for starters both total number of mods per game and height of dependency hierarchies is effectively limited only by the endurance of the program and user downloading them. In a world of small modding teams, having someone else do generic scripting library to plug into and someone else produce the assets is invaluable - every modder or small team having to reinvent the wheel over and over will leave very little resources left to actually produce anything worthwhile.

Not everything has to have a price tag or be owned by someone in particular to have value. Fractured modding scene will be poorer modding scene producing inferior mods.
The solution is either not allowing paid mods, or enforcing set of rules allowing only the mods that are already well separated from the community network to be sellable.
Now creating this sort of deep fractures in already thriving modding scene is nothing short of corporate vandalism - again, not everything has to have a price tag or be owned by someone in particular to have value.

And yes, you don't buy what you don't want to buy. That's pretty basic.
What's pretty basic is libertards' inability to grasp concern for continued existence of things you actually do want to buy or otherwise have access to.

Not only this kind of practices destroy the kind of community that could be producing worthwhile mods, they also form a very nasty precedent - making customers pay arbitrary, undisclosed amounts arbitrary number of times for usable product, with developers benefitting from this.
This creates a conflict of interest as you actually profit from releasing buggy, unfinished crap, as you get a cut from each patch and fix in arbitrary tall stacks sold by your modders. You no longer just save money by making your game shittier - you both save money and then earn more by making a worse product, at least in short term.

The decision of whether something is free or not rests with its owners. What if I think your car is free? Do I just fucking take your car?
Let's say you let people build a community based on free use of your car, you specify the conditions making it clear that they will be able to continue doing it indefinitely and set up measures for this arrangement to not break down due to for example you dying or leaving.
Then, with a whole community depending on your car to survive, based on the terms you dictated yourself, you decide that no, you decide to take your car away and dismantle the failsafes, because it's fucking your car and shit.
You know the solution to such problem? Shooting your face off and liberating your car.
It's that simple.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Now that I think about it; what happens when two paid mods are out, with one being dependent on the other to work? Is the creator of the original mod now also entitled to a cut from the new mod-maker since they're using content he technically created?

Torrasque01

Augur
Everyone should remember that this is what Blizzard wanted to do with Bnet 2.0 and paid SC2 maps and they delayed it and delayed it until it was forgotten. If even Acti-Blizz jews realize something is a bad idea and you go on ahead and do it you know you fucked up.

Last edited:

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Because it was unplayable with out mods.
It was?
I also added "at least to me"
SOC was horrible when it came out.
Those first pistol firefights have to be worse gunplay i have ever seen.
I felt that most of my bullets were disappearing in the middle of the air while i was shooting a bandit at almost point blank range. The AI was crap, with incredible inhuman awareness yet dumb enough to be easily exploitable.
The game only became decent after being heavily modded and even than it was nothing much to look at.
COP was the only good one of the series and it still isn't much with out something like Misery on top of it.

Seerix

Arbiter
So what? How do you figure that devs of Stalker who allowed all those problems you encountered deserve a "cut" from people who fixed them all? If anything, it's the IP holder who should be paying any modder who makes actual improvement to the game, like fixes serious issues that were somehow not resolved before release. And now it's possible that those fixes will be behind a paywall? That is a fucking freemium model in a non-free game with modders getting shit pay for a work that professional dev halfasses and gets paid a proper wage.

DraQ

Arcane
SOC was horrible when it came out.
Yeah, but then it got patched turning spawn rate down to a saner value.
Those first pistol firefights have to be worse gunplay i have ever seen.
I felt that most of my bullets were disappearing in the middle of the air while i was shooting a bandit at almost point blank range.
I quite enjoyed them, if only for the novelty of actually having to work with crappy equipment instead of state of the art military hardware and for the novelty of gunplay system.

It actually had quite a learning curve and once you mastered it you could achieve good effectiveness and accuracy - apparently you didn't.
:martini:
It's always a joy for me to clean out those first bandits whenever I replay SoC.

The AI was crap, with incredible inhuman awareness yet dumb enough to be easily exploitable.
Again, opposite impressions - AI was quite good, with imperfect enough awareness to be exploitable.
The only problem that needed to be solved by mods was that it seemed to get a tick of perfect awareness immediately after loading a game, which made stealth attempts ironman.
COP was the only good one of the series and it still isn't much with out something like Misery on top of it.
COP was the most polished and has best quest design/writing, but it was full easy mode most of the time and lacked truly scary locations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom