Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam for Linux may delete all your data. Valve shrugs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Honestly, it's kind of scary that an application millions of people use just outright deletes everything in its working directory, instead of keeping track of every file it creates and only deleting those. Really terrible practice, especially when it comes to deleting shit. Having shitty code elsewhere just affects the application itself, while this can potentially nuke a whole partition worth of user data.

Not joking, this is scary enough that it makes me want to get rid of Steam for Linux and never install it again.

Man up, you baby.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Man up, you baby.

What's wrong Metro, does it upset you so much that Gaben's software is so shitty? Maybe you should go inform the guy who lost all his data to steam's retarded behavior to "man up". Most malware I've seen in my life is less harmful than this, literally.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Steam, the saviour of PC gaming.

mIFkJ8X.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What's wrong Metro, does it upset you so much that Gaben's software is so shitty? Maybe you should go inform the guy who lost all his data to steam's retarded behavior to "man up". Most malware I've seen in my life is less harmful than this, literally.

He should man up. Also you have Blizz games installed on your system... probably as much malware on them as you get from Steam.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
He should man up. Also you have Blizz games installed on your system... probably as much malware on them as you get from Steam.

Not on my Linux installation, where I actually have important shit. Which is also where I've removed Steam from.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
quick question, not hating or anything, but why are you using linux?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
quick question, not hating or anything, but why are you using linux?

Did using Linux somehow become a controversial decision in need of immediate justification while I wasn't looking?

To answer your question, I'm a software engineer, and I find Windows a very clunky environment for software development, unless the entirety of your needs are covered by Visual Studio or Eclipse. Which they aren't, in my case.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Did using Linux somehow become a controversial decision in need of immediate justification while I wasn't looking?

To answer your question, I'm a software engineer, and I find Windows a very clunky environment for software development, unless the entirety of your needs are covered by Visual Studio or Eclipse. Which they aren't, in my case.

When you say you're a software engineer, do you mean that you code? Like typing code into a software and compiling it? I would love to understand how is that clunky or any different at all in linux. Again, no irony, im just curious.

Quick question. Not hating or anything. Why is your mom a whore?
:butthurt:

Siobhan

Arbiter
When you say you're a software engineer, do you mean that you code? Like typing code into a software and compiling it? I would love to understand how is that clunky or any different at all in linux. Again, no irony, im just curious.
Here's a few observations from a casual programmer:

Installation and setup is a lot more straight-forward under Linux, in particular for less mainstream languages like OCaml. The same goes for helper tools like pyflakes and exuberant ctags (does that one even support Windows 7?). Quite generally there's no centralized repository for installing software and keeping it up to date, so you have to gobble together a hundred different tools from various websites and install one after the other, clicking on many stupid OK buttons and picking installation folders. Windows lacks a decent command line by default, which is crucial for easy and efficient usage of version control tools like git. Windows is a lot harder to script for routine tasks. There are no decent tiling window managers, which are a lot more convenient if one mostly works with text. And Windows is a second-class citizen for editors like emacs and vim, so not everything may work as expected or you may have reduced functionality.

Overall, you can tweak Windows to get it to work fairly well and do what you want it to (e.g. by combining portable apps with setup scripts), but the whole process is a lot more convenient and hassle-free on Linux. And since configuration files are plain text it's easy to put them in a git repository and sync them between computers so you don't have to configure every single machine you work on (laptop, office, home, etc).

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The difference is not on the language level, those are mostly standardized anyway, but on the system level, i.e. the different ABI/API for threads, networking, drivers and so on. A notable difference is Windows C++ implementation, which is mostly, but not completely following the standard and is different in subtle ways.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, man the fuck up, who cares if a program deletes all your stuff? Man up! It's not like you can have important stuff anyway. Man up and don't let go of that gaben dick!

Bruticis

Is this a thread about Steam software being shit or Linux "people" being dealt divine retribution?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Most of it comes down to the fact that Linux is designed with a CLI in mind as the primary method of interaction, and any GUIs are built on top of that. Windows, as an OS designed for office productivity first, has it the other way around. Result is that accomplishing stuff using a CLI in Linux is very simple and efficient, while being a royal pain in the arse in Windows. As Siobhan pointed out, even installing stuff is much simpler and faster on Linux, as distributions tend to use centralized package managers for software.

There are also other reasons. If your software is meant to run on Linux to begin with (because it's a web application, for instance, and majority of web servers run Linux), then there's no reason to make life more complicated for yourself by developing on Windows. There's stuff that simply doesn't have a Windows version at all - even now, if you want to run Hadoop on Windows, you need to compile it from source yourself, while you can have a local cluster running using the Linux version in under a minute, with a few shell commands.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This atrocity lasted a whole three days?!?!? UNACCEPTABLE!

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Even after the fix, it's still a shitty practice to just outright delete everything in the current working directory while uninstalling software. Is it really so difficult to figure out which files your own application creates?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And people were really mad at me when I described steam as "assembled by incompetent morons" during the first few weeks of the Linux port.
This incident just proves my point irrefutably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom