Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam for Linux may delete all your data. Valve shrugs.

:Flash:

Arcane
All as in all that the current user has rights to delete.
If you manually move a steam directory, Steam will run a "reset" script that will execute rm -rf /* .
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671
This issue has been opened two days ago, and no official statement from Valve so far.

Valve seems to be intent on deleting files that were not created by Steam. The Windows Version deletes the folder it was installed in upon uninstall, meaning that if you accidentally installed it in C:\, your hard drive will be erased as well. They don't even care about fixing that bug, instead they put a warning on their website.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why on earth would you install Steam in your C:\ directory?

Wouldn't be surprised if plenty of applications do this and nobody ever found out.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Not in root, but if it's in your /home where most people's shit at, you're still pretty fucked yo.

potatojohn

Arcane
Well I'm glad to see that all those Valve billions are being used to hire the best and brightest programmers.

Turns out Half Life 3 is so late because they're writing it in node.js

Arcane
Why on earth would you install Steam in your root directory?

Wouldn't be surprised if plenty of applications do this and nobody ever found out.
You don't need to install it in your root directory. It doesn't matter where it's installed.
The script has a line that says
rm -rf "$STEAMROOT/"*
And STEAMROOT can evaluate to nothing, if you moved one of your steam folders, leaving rm -rf /*
Their only reaction so far has been to take down the page where you could look at the actual code. I saw it earlier today, and the coder had even commented that line with a # scary!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't need to install it in your root directory. It doesn't matter where it's installed.
The script has a line that says
rm -rf "$STEAMROOT/"*
And STEAMROOT can evaluate to nothing, if you moved one of your steam folders, leaving rm -rf /*
Their only reaction so far has been to take down the page where you could look at the actual code. I saw it earlier today, and the coder had even commented that line with a # scary!

I was talking about the Windows version

Arcane
I was talking about the Windows version
I wouldn't call C:\ root, though. And that was just an example.
It has happened to me that I accidentally installed software into folders that had other data and subfolders, and I used the uninstaller to cleanly uninstall the software, because that's what the uninstaller is supposed to do. I might think twice about that now.
But the Linux bug is much worse, as it will wipe all your drives.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Hahahaha, holy shit.
This dude needs to request plane tickets from Gaben. Demand justice for that 3TB external drive!

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This issue has been opened two days ago, and no official statement from Valve so far.

This is an issus of enormeous proportions. It is preposterous that ______ (fill in company name) has not responded to this within a week/as soon as possible/immediately. I will no longer consume/buy _______ (fill in company name) product and/or service.

Bruticis

This is an issus of enormeous proportions. It is preposterous that ______ (fill in company name) has not responded to this within a week/as soon as possible/immediately. I will no longer consume/buy _______ (fill in company name) product and/or service.
What are you talking about, Linux users make up a HUGE portion of Steams user base.
IicCqq6.png

Multi-headed Cow

That's only people who agree to share their computer statistics with Valve, Brut. You think Linux users are gonna let The Man know how much RAM they've got? They're just concealing their numbers. Like sand people.

image001.jpg

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That's only people who agree to share their computer statistics with Valve, Brut. You think Linux users are gonna let The Man know how much RAM they've got? They're just concealing their numbers. Like sand people.

image001.jpg
the amount of ram youve got is top secret as it is a direct indicator of your ability to compile the kernel. cant just give that to gaben for free (as in beer)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Honestly, it's kind of scary that an application millions of people use just outright deletes everything in its working directory, instead of keeping track of every file it creates and only deleting those. Really terrible practice, especially when it comes to deleting shit. Having shitty code elsewhere just affects the application itself, while this can potentially nuke a whole partition worth of user data.

Not joking, this is scary enough that it makes me want to get rid of Steam for Linux and never install it again.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Thank you thread for reminding me to

sudo pacman -Rs steam; rm -rf .steam .steampath .steampid

Corporate scamware, I'm embarassed I ever used you (not due to the issue described in this thread, but other issues).

7/10

Learned
What's the point of SteamOS anyway? From what I've seen, it's just a regular distro with uncustomized Gnome-Shell and a Steam client. Why make another CrapOS, just so you can sell games to all 5 people, who are retarded enough to use Linux as a gaming system?

Can't they just put an embedded Linux-based system on their consoles?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can imagine SteamOS being coded in the same such wonderful way.

*Boot SteamOS for first time.
*SteamOS cleans up temp files after installation, wipes hard drive clean.

Melcar

Arcane
I can imagine SteamOS being coded in the same such wonderful way.

*Boot SteamOS for first time.
*SteamOS cleans up temp files after installation, wipes hard drive clean.
Yeah, but SteamOS has an additional step. After cleaning out your drive, it downloads a full album of Dear Leader Gaben photos to your PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom