Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam and games.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Steam is cancer, the faster all of you realise it the better.

Naraya

Arcane
I can totally relate to this. For now, I stopped buying new games altogether (especially on launch) - instead I created a list of games I already have that I want to play, and list of games I plan to buy and play in the future. I wishlist such games so if they are on sale, I buy them.

I think I have several years of gaming covered for now - you wouldn't believe what's on my yet-to-play list... Also there is a "problem" of Twitch - namely I often prefer to watch live streams than playing the game myself...

Anyway - my 2 cents. Glad to see I'm not the only one with these kind of problems :)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Get married and let the wife control the budget.
This way you will be set on the court, asked "do you REALLY need to buy that game" many time until you
Srsly this shit is so basic you need to ask? I think you'll fit to neoGAF more.

Whiran

Magister
So what exactly happened? Did i get too much of the good stuff? My younger self would have locked himself in a room for two years to religiously play every single game.
You have too much choice and are overwhelmed by it.

To avoid making that choice you're going back to your old stand-bys which is totally reasonable to do.

To combat this, just stop buying games on Steam or limit yourself to one game (max!) per month.

Then go through your library and pick out the games that you would like to try. Install one of them. Play it. If you like it keep it around. If you don't enjoy it uninstall it.

Then go back to one of the games you really enjoy.

Or be emotionally honest with yourself and stop buying games entirely.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Many of these explanations are pretty much spot on for me, but that doesn't make it any easier. :negative:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Use this link to get disappointed: https://steamdb.info/calculator/

My 33% ratio of unplayed games is wrong because for several games I've played the pirated versions and then I bought them on Steam and never installed them.

There are several games I would like to delete/purge from my Steam account (like THI3F).

Anyway, my rule is to avoid buying bundles and only buy one game at a time and to keep some distance between buyings. If I buy more games at once then it might happen that I will not play any of them because I cannot decide which to play first.

If I buy one game per month then I make sure to spend at least some time on that game. Also no more buying of Early Release versions (only buy complete versions) cause I don't want to beta-test for free.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I remember when I had to buy physical copies of PS2 games. Popular ones were easy enough to come across, but obscurer ones or collectors editions were much harder to come across. Gotta understand in New Zealand we don't have as much variety when it comes to purchasing games, especially ones that're out of print and second-hand. Best case-scenario you can find a copy on TradeMe (basically Ebay: Shitty NZ edition), worst case, you just go through the EB games website and hope to god someone hands a copy in to a local store. Remember the absolute hardest to come across was a copy of MGS3: Subsistence, which I only managed to come across while I was on a trip to fucking Australia.

'Course the rise of steam, digital downloads, emulators, and HD re-releases have for the most part put the kabosh on that whole phase of my life, though there are still a lot of hidden gems for the PS2/3 floating around out there that probably won't ever see a re-release again that I'd like to get my hands on.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I can totally relate to this. For now, I stopped buying new games altogether (especially on launch) - instead I created a list of games I already have that I want to play, and list of games I plan to buy and play in the future. I wishlist such games so if they are on sale, I buy them.

I think I have several years of gaming covered for now - you wouldn't believe what's on my yet-to-play list... Also there is a "problem" of Twitch - namely I often prefer to watch live streams than playing the game myself...

Anyway - my 2 cents. Glad to see I'm not the only one with these kind of problems :)

I have the same feeling when it comes to horror games. Since I'm a wuss, I'd never play such titles as Outlast or Until Dawn. Thanks to Twitch and streaming in general, I can get scared without the need to boot the game.

Haraldur

Augur
Algorithm:

For each interesting-looking game:
1. Is it less than 5 years old? If so, discard it.
2. Can you find a multitude of positive mentions on the Codex? If not, discard it.
3. Prioritize according to taste.

This is not necessarily a recent phenomenon, this happened to everyone when they discovered emulators and the internet. Yesterday you had 9 SNES tapes now you got this cd-rom with every SNES game ever

I've spent the last couple hours candidly looking at this tablet I just bought, wondering which of my 360000 roms I could copy from the PC and play on it. It looks like a PSP knockoff, which means it has buttons and it's possible to play games for real on it.

I think I'll break down under the tyranny of choice and play the pre-installed Angry Birds in Space and Fruit Ninja :(

Steam is cancer, the faster all of you realise it the better.

18714.jpg
*tips*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom