Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Stealth Games

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So I'm currently collecting a list of stealth games or games that do stealth-like gameplay well enough for me to play. Be it cRPGs, action games, action adventure, or tactical war sim games I always end up either doing straight stealth or hybrid something/stealth for my main character(s). Once I finally manage to get my PC to stop crapping out (gaming laptop, lol much fail) I'll get on playing Thief 1 and 2. I did a little bit of research on the codex and elsewhere.

So here is my list in no particular order:

Thief Gold (gold standard, hur hur)
Thief 2: Metal Age
Thief mods/fanmade levels/The Dark Mod/etc
Hitman 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Deus Ex
Metal Gear Solid 3
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (was the sequel to this game any good?)
Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim (stealth is surprisingly decent considering that it's a Bethesduh game. One of the few games with passable bow mechanics)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dishonored
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Far Cry 3 (Basic stealth but it's fun sneaking around in Jungles. Also, one of the few games with passable bow mechanics.)
Death to Spies
Mark of the Ninja
Gunpoint
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Penumbra
Splinter Cell: Blacklist

On my watch list:

Alien Isolation (stealth horror is always fun)
Styx: Master of Shadows

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Prisoner of Ice War? Didn't played for decade so not sure how many stealth sections is here.
Alien vs. Predator 1/2 as both Predator and Alien?
Cold War (2005) made by Mindware.
Maybe Commandos (made by Pyro) series?

Some niche thing - Cold Zero - Last Stand have simple rule - be uncovered as long as you can. You can grab it on GamersGate.com, for some reason it work well on Win 7 64bit yet WinXP and Vista are no-no for it.
Gorky Zero - Beyond Honor and Gorky 02 are cool despite being sequel of tactical RPG.
Not sure if you like gore so... Manhunt 1 and 2.
Project I.G.I. 1 and 2.
Qasir Al-Wasat: A Night in-Between
Rogue Trooper, Saboteur, Velvet Assassin, Second Sight, Psi-Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy, Sniper Elite,

Not to mention Metal Gear Solid series released on PC/emulated from PS2/PSP.
And give a try for Thief: Deadly Shadows. Maybe Deus Ex IW was fucked after console infestation but Thief3 and FanMissions for it are still entertaining even below supreme level of Thief1/2.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Nigga, you missed Mark of the Ninja, aka the best stealth game since Thief 2. You don't want to miss that.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (was the sequel to this game any good?)

The sequel is good, yeah, but much more shooty-shooty focused.

Also, Alpha Protocol :troll:

TripJack

Hedonist
hitman 2 is mediocre, skyrim far cry & metal gear derpid lol nigga pls these games may have stealth but too bad everything else about them is shit

additions - death to spies 2, commandos, commandos-likes

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The latest splinter cell game(Splinter Cell: Blacklist). It has good stealth, and it punishes you hard when you fail, well, at least on the higher difficulty settings since you die from one bullet.

DragoFireheart

A Dance with Rogues

ewww, a NWN mod.

hitman 2 is mediocre, skyrim far cry & metal gear derpid lol nigga pls these games may have stealth but too bad everything else about them is shit

additions - death to spies 2, commandos, commandos-likes

What was that phrasing that Flying Spaghetti Monster said in that giant Roguey topic...

Oh yeah: "These games have many flaws but are guilty pleasures of mine so I still can enjoy them regardless of their flaws and/or how bad they are."

Divinity: Original Sin
Saboteur is A GTA clone with a little bit of Assassin's Creed (also a kind of GTA clone) in the mix, but you have some infiltration missions, but it's stealth is not well developed.

Just stick with Thief 1/2/3/FM and darkmod and be happy forever.

Far cry 3 is a FPS in an open world, but you have the option of capturing bases in a stealth manner, and it's its best feature.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic offers a little stealth gameplay, but it depends on XP points and you only become an efficient ghost by the end of it.

If 2d stealth arouse your interest, you may try Yahtzee´s trilby: the art of theft. It's part of his adventure series, but plays much like gunpoint and mark of the ninja.

DragoFireheart

Executr

Cipher
Pretty much all the Splinter Cell games, but I'd avoid Conviction.
Most missions in Hidden & Dangerous II can/should be done with a stealth approach.
And also Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. I know it's :popamole:, but you can have fun with cloaking.

Divinity: Original Sin
Talking about cloaking, since Far cry 3 was mentioned, one can enjoy Crysis 1 to 3 CLOAKING ENGAGED. Crysis 1 can be fun with the dumb AI, just for the lulz. 2 and 3 are more scripted, with defined patrol routes.

Nuclear Explosion

Hitman 2 sucks. I haven't played Codename 47 but I would imagine that it does as well. Hitman Contracts is good but it has inconsistent level design. Blood Money is easily the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

spectre

Arcane
Invisible inc. Turn based stealth roguelike with neat graphics (style reminds me of evil genius). You want this.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alpha Protocol can be completed with stealth.

Also, Hitman GO for iOS. :troll:

There's DARK. I did finish it but it didn't exactly get good reviews.

There's always Metal Gear Solid V for next year.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Invisible inc. Turn based stealth roguelike with neat graphics (style reminds me of evil genius). You want this.
Note that despite the early access, the game is already fun in its current state (but it lacks endgame, so endless mode is broken, but 3 days story mode is enjoyable). It is a refreshing change from the current Early Aaccess trend of publishing game that are 5 years away from completion with a remaining development time of 1.5 year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom