Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stealth Bastard 2 - released on PC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-date-spied-for-october-exclusively-on-wii-u

Stealth Inc 2 release date spied for October exclusively on Wii U
Sequel ditches linear stages in lieu of a "Metroidvania" adventure.

Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones is set for a 23rd October release exclusively on the Wii U eShop, developer Curve Studios has announced.

Some may know the Stealth Inc series by its original title: Stealth Bastard. It began as a free PC game before getting spruced up as a commercial release called Stealth Bastard Deluxe. Then it snuck onto PS3 and Vita last summer under the new moniker of Stealth Inc - a name that it's kept ever since when it came to iOS and Android last year.

Curiously, the first Stealth Inc/Bastard never made it onto the Wii U, where this sequel is an exclusive. It doesn't really matter though, as this is a standalone adventure.

Arguably the biggest difference between Stealth Inc and Stealth Inc 2 is that this sequel transpires in a large interconnected "Metroidvania" environment, whereas its predecessor was limited to linear stages.

Another neat addition is that a second player will be able to assist in the adventure by using the Wii U GamePad to manipulate the environment to keep their corporeal clone pal hidden.

jpg

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, as if exlusives will save that piece of shit console.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's how these things usually work. Timed exclusives.

Interesting but not entirely surprising that they'd go from Yoshi's Island to Super Metroid. Calling it "Metroidvania" grinds my gears, unless it does in fact have a RPG-esque progression/customization system (as opposed to the Metroid kind).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's how these things usually work. Timed exclusives.

Interesting but not entirely surprising that they'd go from Yoshi's Island to Super Metroid. Calling it "Metroidvania" grinds my gears, unless it does in fact have a RPG-esque progression/customization system (as opposed to the Metroid kind).
castlevania didn't have one until much later in the series, so it's not a requirement.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
castlevania didn't have one until much later in the series, so it's not a requirement.
That's why it's called Metroidvania and not Castlevania clone (or Super Metroid-clone [or well, just a Metroid-clone really]). Symphony of the Night was the first and it had RPG elements and a Super Metroid-style world.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Actually got in close to the ground floor for this one on account of liking the first so much, plus feeling a bit sorry for Curve Digital for always getting caught in the shadow of Klei Entertainment http://steamspy.com/app/329380 http://steamcharts.com/app/329380 (good thing it was already a hit on the Wii U)

Compared to the first, it's more of the same with new gimmicks and a much faster and steeper difficulty curve (up until the last two worlds, though I thought they had the best puzzles). The Metroid-esque overworld was all right, though it came at the expense of fewer test levels compared to its predecessor, and I guess it would make replaying levels to get that high score a bit more frustrating (good thing I'm a play-and-forget person). I got lost a few times, but that was my fault for not paying enough attention to environmental details. The path to the optional secret level was extremely frustrating on account of requiring a lot of well-timed right-click-spacebarring and the reward for beating it was kinda meh (an invisibility suit you have to charge up for overworld travel after you're pretty much done).

It was pretty funny (especially the meltdowns near the end), though I prefer the more sparse narrative from the first where a lot of things went unexplained.

Overall, some things better, some things worse, some things about the same, worth playing if you already liked Stealth Bastard and want more.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played the first for like an hour. Was more platformer than stealth. Mark of the Ninja is a better 2D action stealth game.

Coyote

Arcane
I've seen comments along those lines enough times that I can't help but wonder how much the first game was hurt by people's expectations going into it. It's not really meant to be anything like Mark of the Ninja as far as I can tell - more like the fusion of a Super Meat Boy-style platformer (short but lethal levels that require more precision than endurance, instant respawn upon death, no lives or coins or easily-disposable enemies, etc.) with a puzzle platformer whose puzzles just happen to be themed around stealth.

Anyway, it's a pretty good game on its own merits IMO. Learning curve and controls are well done, easy to learn but hard to master. Level design is well done, with new obstacles introduced in each chapter and used in varied and interesting ways without ever sticking around so long as to overstay their welcome. Atmosphere is about as good as you can expect from a platformer of its scope, with the visual design, music, and what little plot there is all fitting together cohesively. And it's the only game that ever managed to get me interested in the leaderboards, by virtue of curiosity about what routes/tricks people come up with to make it through levels so quickly.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not saying it should have aped Mark of the Ninja I'm saying if you're going call a game Stealth Bastard I would expect a heavier emphasis on stealth. Otherwise just call it Bastard and be done with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The title has to differentiate itself from other puzzle-platformers that don't use stealth mechanics.

pippin

Stealth Bastard is more of a puzzle game though; Mark of the Ninja plays like a somewhat "true" stealth game, with light, sound, movement and all that jazz. So yeah, Stealth Bastard is not *that¨stealth based, but it's still an ok game.

Coyote

Arcane
I'm not saying it should have aped Mark of the Ninja I'm saying if you're going call a game Stealth Bastard I would expect a heavier emphasis on stealth.

That's pretty much my point. Calling it "Stealth x" - even if it's an accurate title in the sense that the puzzles are themed around stealth - was inevitably going to result in some people expecting a stealth game, which of course will lead to disappointment even if it turns out to be a good example of some other genre.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Stealth Bastard is more of a puzzle game though; Mark of the Ninja plays like a somewhat "true" stealth game, with light, sound, movement and all that jazz. So yeah, Stealth Bastard is not *that¨stealth based, but it's still an ok game.

Stealth Bastard uses light and sound too. :M

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Didn't like the original, not a fan of puzzle games, but this one being "metroidvania" in style intrigues me. Looks like the same gameplay though. Meh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Owners: 1,367 ± 944

Shame they have to resort to giving it away. :(

potatojohn

Arcane
What's wrong with it? I played a bit of the 1st one and it seemed pretty okay

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom