Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of Decay

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Looks worth it for the Steam winter sale pick.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Saw this, looked interesting.

Searched Codex, read thread.

Decided not to buy.

You all killed it. Look at what you've done.

Bradylama

Arcane
Saw this, looked interesting.

Searched Codex, read thread.

Decided not to buy.

You all killed it. Look at what you've done.

Give it a year and it'll be worth playing.

I haven't played in over a month. I half expect to go back in and see my safehouse burned to the ground.

I've read that the "time passes while you don't play" effect only goes up to three or four days, after that it stops. So whether you stop playing for a week or ten years, it should have the same result. (edit: and it shouldn't be too bad unless you left the game while your guys were starving or something like that)

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, it's not 1 day out of the game = 1 day ingame, I once left it off for 3 days and only 1 seemed to have passed in-game.
I find that feature alone to be really questionable. I didn't ask for a fucking tamagotchi here, even though it doesn't have any dramatic effect on the state of your game, the feeling that I'm soehow out of the loop is enough for me to not play the game
if I know I can only sit around for a few hours.

Good thing is, the main storyline is pretty short, depends how anal are you about cleaning absolutely every fucking container.

Also, there seems to be a DLC lying around which I think I'll be checking. The feature writeup makes it seem like it adds some sort of endless survival mode, which was just what the game needed, but I wonder how (and if) it features any randomized maps, or just more of the same.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this game. It's pretty lightweight, but seems like it has everything I wanted for a game of that type.

fastjack

Augur
Yeah, it's not 1 day out of the game = 1 day ingame, I once left it off for 3 days and only 1 seemed to have passed in-game.
I find that feature alone to be really questionable. I didn't ask for a fucking tamagotchi here, even though it doesn't have any dramatic effect on the state of your game, the feeling that I'm soehow out of the loop is enough for me to not play the game
if I know I can only sit around for a few hours.

Good thing is, the main storyline is pretty short, depends how anal are you about cleaning absolutely every fucking container.

Also, there seems to be a DLC lying around which I think I'll be checking. The feature writeup makes it seem like it adds some sort of endless survival mode, which was just what the game needed, but I wonder how (and if) it features any randomized maps, or just more of the same.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this game. It's pretty lightweight, but seems like it has everything I wanted for a game of that type.

I think it's the same map but each time you 'win' (by repairing an rv and leaving the area I believe) you start a new group with a new broken rv on the same map so that the buildings you already looted stay looted. Also each subsequent go at the game the enemies are harder though I fear this will mean severe hp bloat.

bonescraper

Also each subsequent go at the game the enemies are harder though I fear this will mean severe hp bloat.
No. Zombie hordes become bigger, standard "walkers" get replaced by special zombies, and once you reach a certain difficulty level, they all will be able run.

Name

Cipher
The persistent feature is just so meaningless, also like it's ripped straight out of some MMO to hook you in. I have to play this one straight through on holiday to avoid the frustration of persistent feature.
Also it's annoying that people(friends, allies, other enclave members) constantly get themselves into trouble in order for you(as the character you are currently playing) to reap influence(currency).
However the character and combat system is alright, and you are actually vulnerable and mortal due to the permadeath mechanism, unlike many other zombie games.
Now the question is, can Dead State outdo this game with its writing?
Also how is Project Zomboid going?

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
state of decay is crap, ive rarly given up on a game so quickly, i finished gothic 4 but this game made me lose intrest so quickly i uninstalled it in a hour

anus_pounder

Arcane
The persistent feature is just so meaningless, also like it's ripped straight out of some MMO to hook you in. I have to play this one straight through on holiday to avoid the frustration of persistent feature.
Also it's annoying that people(friends, allies, other enclave members) constantly get themselves into trouble in order for you(as the character you are currently playing) to reap influence(currency).
However the character and combat system is alright, and you are actually vulnerable and mortal due to the permadeath mechanism, unlike many other zombie games.

True, then you get characters with reflex....

That black chick you gain at the church and the bitten guy you can eventually cure are all you need to win the game. The kung-fu sweep kick is ridiculously effective and the stamina regen boost is pretty nice to have as well. Powerhouses are somewhat more common and can do decently in combat as well, though I still say they can't match the sweep kick + finisher combo.

For the price I paid (£0), I rather like the game tbh. I just wish there was more to it I guess.

Name

Cipher

That black chick you gain at the church and the bitten guy you can eventually cure are all you need to win the game. The kung-fu sweep kick is ridiculously effective and the stamina regen boost is pretty nice to have as well. Powerhouses are somewhat more common and can do decently in combat as well, though I still say they can't match the sweep kick + finisher combo.

For the price I paid (£0), I rather like the game tbh. I just wish there was more to it I guess.

If they nerf these then I will certainly fail at this game lol... the Feral zombie is already scary enough...

anus_pounder

Arcane

If they nerf these then I will certainly fail at this game lol... the Feral zombie is already scary enough...

I have to agree with you on that. Ferals are probably the scariest thing in the game. Fat guys are also pretty scary in a fight, but you can actually outsprint the fuckers and their 'aggro' range is pretty short in my experience. The increased feral (and special in general) spawn is really what makes the higher levels of breakdown so hard in my experience.

anus_pounder

Arcane
putupwith.jpg

Well I did so for the main game and the first DLC, might as well keep my combo chain going. D1P.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well I did so for the main game and the first DLC, might as well keep my combo chain going. D1P.

I originally got SoD for my kid brother who's crazy about all things zombie, but it wasn't a bad little timewaster, all things considered. Hopefully Lifeline improves on the concept rather than just being a cheap cashout.

anus_pounder

Arcane

I originally got SoD for my kid brother who's crazy about all things zombie, but it wasn't a bad little timewaster, all things considered. Hopefully Lifeline improves on the concept rather than just being a cheap cashout.

Well the trailer did say 'New city', which is why I'm willing to cough up. I've never actually finished the main story of the base game but I've wasted so much time just gathering supplies and shit + playing the survival mode now and then that I've had my fill of the old location.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah, haven't seen any maps of the new area yet, as long as it's not considerably smaller than the original it ought to be good. Or have a small district with lots of places to go (vertical space); I don't think the original had any buildings that were inaccessible so it'd suck to have them this time around.

the burning military building to the south.
i hoped it'd turn into the coolest base ever, instead the best one is the second one you pick. sad.
the interface is horrible, the controls are terrible, but i had fun nonetheless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Was $5 during some glitch Humble Store sale... waiting for it to hit that or close on Steam. You'd think they'd do it already with a second DLC out.

anus_pounder

Arcane
If we get to choose bases again, I hope they balance them better. Unless you really like playing with a self-imposed handicap I fail to see any reason you'd pick a base other than the warehouse.

EDIT: Though I did try playing with the Farm once. It was actually p.fun initially, I admit. As the number of zombie spawn increased though, having to save the NPCs as they make the long trek from the farm to the town got wayyy too annoying.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
lifeline is fun so far. managed to get killed right at the start where i ran back rather than forward, found a scavenge point, a fast car (cars have trunks that can store stuff now) and an area too far gone (meaning endless and fast zombie respawn). like the new more modern and more fucked-up city, even if it uses the same basic assets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom