Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of Decay

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
State of Decay was released on xbox arcade today. Unfortunately I've sold my xbox so I cant tell you if its any good. Still sounds like an interesting game though.

Review: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/state-of-decay-review

Snippet from the IGN review:

''It is not a game borne of this Golden Age of tutorials and hand-holding. You are no superhuman zombie slayer, armed to the teeth with a stockpile of firearms and a recharging health meter. Death is both imminent and permanent, and venturing away from the (relatively) safe confines of your home base at night is downright terrifying.''

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Yes I posted in general gaming about it. Unfortunately I don't have my xbox anymore so I cant try it out. I'm curious though if its any good.

It looks interesting, also looks a little rough though (graphical quality, bugs etc)

Multi-headed Cow

I've heard a tiny bit about it and it sounds pretty interesting. Reminds me a lot of Fort Zombie, actually. Apparently it's also rough around the edges and buggy but does cool things. One especially cool aspect is the game takes into account time spent not-playing it, so if you quit for a break while things are in a good position they'll likely continue being fine when you come back, but if you quit while morale and supplies are low you might find everyone/some people dead. I gather the world isn't randomly generated, but possibly the loot you find is, and I'm not sure about found survivors or not.

Still, the little bit I've read about it sounds cool. Here's hoping for a PC release.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I heard that it is actually sold well at 250,000 copies for XBLA and that they will make an mmo version of the game after the PC release. Also the game from what I heard also is mainly single player and does not multiplayer support which is why they are interested in making the mmo version of the game.

Anyone playing the PC version? It's annoyingly dark here (GTX 460), I think it's some sort of gamma issue, blacks are very crushed and high contrast lights are too bright.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MHC bought it and played it a bit. Early Access so, yes, it's going to be riddled with bugs, graphical issues, poor optimization, etc. Since there's no discount for buying early I'll just wait it out. Wonder why this guy would leave Blizzard for NCSoft... unless he was fired.

Multi-headed Cow

It's annoyingly dark here (GTX 460), I think it's some sort of gamma issue, blacks are very crushed and high contrast lights are too bright.
Yeah, I get the same thing. My performance is pretty spotty as well which I'll take a wild stab and guess is CPU related because everyone on the Steam forum saying "GREAT PERFORMANCE YALL" had an I7. I swear it was like 10 fuckers all with I7s in a row, when I looked.

I'm probably going to ignore it until they get keyboard and mouse working better. Apparently you CAN use them now, it's just that all the button prompts are for the controller so you have to use a player-made guide to figure out what's what and the mouse aiming is apparently super weird. Haven't played enough to decently judge the gameplay but my gut feeling is not as sandboxy as I would've liked. Maybe the actual sandbox mode will change that once it's added. Got it for $14 from Russian pricing and I feel that was a mistake.

Performance here is pretty good, I'm running an overclocked i5 3570k and it's around 45-60fps at max settings most of the time. I'm still too early on to really form an opinion about the gameplay itself (doing my first town missions after the church), but for what it's worth I'm not impressed at all. Combat feels floaty and too easy, and resources seem too plentiful, but again, I'm way too early in to judge. I'll keep playing for awhile as the premise for the game is decent.

Multi-headed Cow

Performance here is pretty good, I'm running an overclocked i5 3570k and it's around 45-60fps at max settings most of the time.
Must be CPU then, 'cause I'm running a faster video card (560 TI) but much slower CPU (E6850, 3ghz core 2 duo) and I need to turn it to the lowest settings for decent performance. Max ran fine during the first few seconds of the opening when you smash those zombies near the lake, but as soon as I looked away from the lake and toward the woods it dropped like a rock.

And agreed on your gameplay points. Kinda seems like the only way combat might be an issue is if you get swarmed 'cause of finite stamina. And even then that might not be a problem because of snacks to boost stamina and guns. I do know the resources don't respawn though, so it might be you start off with lots of goodies everywhere as you loot the town but things start getting scarce after a while.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Console ports either poorly done or before optimizing usually max the CPU and almost ignore the GPU. Hopefully they work on that.

The new PC I am building in November will have a kick-ass processor, because I don't expect this porting shit to get any better.

Game's out officially today, no appreciable difference from the early access version, other than properly mapped keyboard/mouse controls.

Gamma still feels very off.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Devs say they'll keep updating, including proper resolution options and stuff. Not sure why they took it out of early access, then.

Because this is a PC version and every studio gets the idea that they can patch in the fixes later after they rake in the cash. Honestly think the biggest decline in the industry is not the popamole stuff but really the Q&A.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They just dropped the Early Access tag to dupe people into thinking it's polished so they'd buy it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It seems promising, but it's really not optimized for PC gameplay yet.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I 'demoed' it a while back and it actually seems like an alright game, but only next year. I wouldn't dare buy it now.

Psquit

Arcane
Gamma still shit. They need to keep improving the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom