Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Finished Cayne. Great game and was left wanting more. Got all the achievements as well. Bought the DLC as I thought this was too good to be free and wanted to contribute some $ to it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i wanna see cayne exposed to the world. well the people who is directly responsible for these events got what they deserved, but everybody else at Cayne, probably just as rotten and crazy still run amok in the solar system

lightbane

Arcane
Finished this. Awesome game, if short. Ending is not as EDGY as the first game, although it may be worse (for the character) in some aspects.
Puzzles are easy but mostly logical, characters are hilariously diverse in their different types of madness and/or unpleasant behaviour (there is a zealot, a psycho homo, a misogynist, a self-hating masochistic bitch who couldn't afford extensive medical care, an actual retarded person and so on) and protagonist is way more lively than John. Moreover, Hadley doesn't have John's elite sneaking skills. Instead, she has Epic Resilience and Strength, as she seems to be able to facetank explosions several times at very close range, swim and climb while being 9 months pregnant and other stuff.

In addition,

there's only one death scene and is actually optional, unlike STASIS' many, many deaths. Where's my gender equality here? :decline:

In any case, it was a fun experience. Will Beautiful Desolation include actual dialogue trees? Here conversations are still automated.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
there's only one death scene and is actually optional, unlike STASIS' many, many deaths. Where's my gender equality here? :decline:

You should see the suicide animations I started doing...and then thought 'fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck' and stopped.

Desolation will bring back the gruesome and numerous deaths!

Im trying to logistically work out how best to do dialogue...honestly I dont really enjoy dialogue trees (and they increase the amount of dialogue massively leading to a huge bump in translation costs)- although the way they did them in Oxenfree was amazing, so if we did go with a more freeflow system it would be closer to that.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
although the way they did them in Oxenfree was amazing, so if we did go with a more freeflow system it would be closer to that.
Just let your protagonist(s) be silent every once in a while, if you go that way, the way they never shut up in Oxenfree is terribly annoying.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
although the way they did them in Oxenfree was amazing, so if we did go with a more freeflow system it would be closer to that.
Just let your protagonist(s) be silent every once in a while, if you go that way, the way they never shut up in Oxenfree is terribly annoying.

Im not quirky enough to write Gilmore Girls style monologues.

I actually tried to do some dialogue trees using TWINE a while back. Its pretty damned hard to get stuff that flows really well. I think I dont like the repetition of standard dialogue trees, so I would look at a way to get rid of that. The Oxenfree system was amazing for that!

Arch-Vile

Learned
A dumb question about the ending:

Does Hadley die at the end? Giving birth to a baby with an adult mind seems to be a bit traumatic for a first-time mother, specially after having to deal with all that crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Does Hadley die at the end? Giving birth to a baby with and adult mind seems to be a bit traumatic for a first-time mother, specially after having to deal with all that crazy stuff.

Nic and I disagree with each other on that...which is a fun position to be in. :D I suppose the sadist in me thinks of the things worse than death that could happen after that ending. Hadley driven mad by the experiences she went through, constantly reliving that as a trauma? I think that Adams, now knowing that the key was to use someone of Hadleys genetic lineage, would probably 'use' her again - at least to figure out WHY it worked. If shes alive I think he would have definitely recreated the experiment, even with her baby being a successful candidate. Hadley going through this all again - but with the knowledge of what is going to happen - is almost more horrific than waking up in an unknown place like she did in the beginning.

Perhaps death was a 'good' ending for her - or this could just be the beginning for something far worse? If we did do another game in the Stasis universe I would love to have some subtle references to this story (assuming it would be a sequel) and give some closure. I have some ideas about what that would be....but its really all up in the air right now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pyke One thing I can't believe more people don't ask.

Is BabyCayne actually talking, or does he have telepathic powers? >_>

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
By the way, is ever explained what was Hadley signing for at the game's intro? Something about "Family Planning", but I don't remember if it's mentioned what she wanted to get from that "operation".

As for the baby, I think it's a mixture of the odd-looking "suit" Hadley carries around what lets him communicate. The birth is traumatic because that's no normal baby, I believe he had to be forcibly gene-modified somehow in order to accommodate an adult mind, hence why she's in so much pain: The baby is most likely way bigger than what was supposed to. It's possibly large and changed enough to have functional vocal cords. Either way, it's not a pleasant fate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way, is ever explained what was Hadley signing for at the game's intro? Something about "Family Planning", but I don't remember if it's mentioned what she wanted to get from that "operation".

I figured it was an abortion, hence her shock at still being pregnant after waking up.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
PS - The hospital is named after a particular Stasis character which does give away a bit of the 'timeline' in the opening scene.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's worth noting that the psychos aren't just randomly crazy. They all also have hangups related to family and relationships. It's thematic(tm).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished Cayne. It is a very good adventure game, in a similar way as Stasis was. I got stuck 3 times, but those were mostly my fault, because I wasn't observant enough. Although
I don't think you can use a plastic ID card as a breaker for an electric circuit. I had to look that up because it wasn't logical for me.

I can't wait what Beautiful Desolation will offer. Pyke you guys rock!

lightbane

Arcane
Random thing: While the addition of having the protagonist comment about the stuff you read at the PDAs and such, I think the reaction time is way too fast: The game should wait a few more seconds before triggering her dialogue, as Hadley comments about stuff only available at the end of PDAs, or placed somewhere within. Otherwise, it seems that "Flash-level speed-reading" is another of her superpowers.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Its a tricky thing to balance, cos some people may just skim quickly. I think that next time we will trigger it towards actual specific entries, so she can click on them and then have a reaction instead of triggering them with a general PDA access.

Interestingly, design wise for BD we are heading a little away from the heavy use of the PDAs for storytelling. They will still be there in some form (cos I enjoy them!), but will be much more heavily focused on providing optional background than in the moment story specific info.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Always wanted to try this game hehe maybe I will this weekend I like Dead Space and isometric games

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished both titles recently. Cayne is the better game, Stasis comes pretty close to being a walking simulator sometimes. Graphics are top-notch of course, this is what an isometric AAA adventure would look like if such a thing were to exist.

Also, I wouldn't want to be one of your protagonists.

warci

Educated
Didn't know a stasis dev was hanging around here. Was a backer of the kickstarter and gotta say it's one of the few kickstarters that completely delivered on their promise. What a game! Thanks man

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Its only a pleasure mate! Thanks so much for the support.

Im still a little blown away that we have 2 successful Kickstarters - and a few thousand people put their trust in us to make something awesome!

Mark Richard

Arcane
STASIS was my main Halloween game this year (to be followed shortly by a replay of Paper Sorcerer). Considering videogames feed players a constant diet of graphic imagery to the point where a disembowelled corpse is almost blasé, it speaks volumes that STASIS still manages to utilise body horror so effectively. Apparently I had some revulsion left to be brought out, tucked away in the back of my head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom