Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - CAYNE DLC RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Jaesun, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  2. lightbanegender: ⚧ Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Gotta love how EVIL CORPORATIONS (TM) never work with a budget whenever it comes to decorations and such.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    Its all that sweet Jukka Cola money.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Zorba the Huttgender: ⚧ Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    And perhaps that's the executive floor +M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    My body is ready.

^ Top  
  6. anduingender: ⚧ Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    Pyke, is this vray in 3dsmax or it's viewport of another engine ?

^ Top  
  7. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    Thats straight from UNITY with Nics custom adventure framework built in the engine.

^ Top  
  8. anduingender: ⚧ Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    Are we talking about https://unity3d.com/ or is this something new ?

^ Top  
  9. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    Thats the one. Its an amazingly flexible engine!

^ Top  
  10. Mark Richardgender: ⚧ Savant

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    Forgive me, I can’t tell if you used that expression on purpose given the subject matter. If not it would be an… unfortunate choice of words. :D

^ Top  
  11. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    Someone whose body wasn't ready:

[​IMG]

I don't want to end up like that, no siree.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    A shot from one of the cinematics - meet Hadley.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  13. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    http://playcayne.com/

From the developers of STASIS, the critically acclaimed, isometric adventure game comes: CAYNE.

FREE
    CAYNE will be absolutely free to download and enjoy. It is a freestanding chapter, so you won't need STASIS to play CAYNE. It will be available on STEAM and directly from this site.

NEW
    CAYNE has been created from the ground up to be able to support numerous incorporated features like higher resolutions, and particles and post effects.

STORY
    CAYNE is an adjunct to STASIS. But don't worry - it's spoiler free, if you haven't played STASIS yet!
    Hadley wakes in a facility. She is 9 months pregnant. They want her baby...

You can get more info and screenshots over at http://playcayne.com/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Free for everybody, huh? That's cool.

^ Top  
  15. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    Free for everybody. :D

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  16. lightbanegender: ⚧ Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Perception: *glances at the pics posted above* This isn't going to end well for neither, right?

^ Top  
  17. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    I love happy endings. I mean what could possibly go wrong?

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ric-scifi-horror-adventure-game/posts/1598280

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  19. garrengender: ⚧ Arcane

garren
    Parrots:
    Will Cayne be on GOG? They have a free game section..

^ Top  
  20. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    We will try to get it on as many portals as possible. We have a pretty good relationship with GOG - so I dont see why not. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. I'm With Her Intiniumgender: ⚧ for prison Daedalos' alt Dumbfuck Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Looks pretty damn awesome, Chris! Looking forward to playing it.

Not sure if you answered this before, but how many rooms can we expect in the CAYNE chapter?

^ Top  
  22. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    Room wise its sitting at 23 rooms, with 7 'full screen' puzzles - although that number may fluctuate by 1 or 2 by release - and some of those rooms are alternate states. So its not a huge game - but we are experimenting with a much less linear play style than Stasis.
    Ive done almost all of the ingame art - but there may be some pickups during testing. Right now its cinematic work, some awesome freelance stuff that Im doing, and working on material for the next game. Nic is busy stringing it all together and adding in a ridiculous amount of polish. He even wrote a sound engine that mimics 3D sound in 2D space. Its awesome to play it with headphones on!

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    It took me a lot longer to get to Stasis, but I'm glad I did. It really did live up to the hype. The atmosphere, visuals, music, sound effects were all top notch. The puzzles, with some notable exceptions, mostly made sense within the context of the game. But as for the narrative and storytelling, I have to concur with the criticism from unkillable cat, roxor, and sexbad.

That said, through my 11 hrs with the game, I really thought that Pyke was going to surprise me. From the amnesiac unreliable narrator opening, to all the scifi references, it all screamed that you were going to mess with my expectations. Here are some of the things I thought were going to happen:

Show Spoiler

John has actually been in stasis for decades. Teah is lying about the timeline to keep him calm.
    The fungus absorbed the brains of the crew and became a hive mind. All the ghostly voices/screams etc John hears are actually their psychic echoes at being trapped in undeath.
    The fungus absorbed John's wife and daughter, and their desire for him to join them in undeath is why John was awoken from stasis. This ties into the "family" theme.
    Teah doesn't actually exist and is really the hive mind leading John to achieve its goals, kinda like Shodan from SS2.
    Melan is the leader of the hybrid clones, which the fungus wants to destroy/assimilate. Melan is manipulating John to do his bidding, like destroying the hydroponics level that is feeding the fungus growth.

But none of that happened, so I was kinda disappointed that the story turned out much more straightforward, given how much promise it had early on.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Pykegender: ⚧ The Brotherhood Developer

Pyke
    Parrots:
    I completely agree with all of the story crits. Honestly I would have loved to do more with it - but because it was my first game I kept coming back to simplify the story and the game.
    Originally the fungus did play a much larger part in the story - but had to be cut back when the engineering section of the game was removed.

Glad you enjoyed it tho! I've learned a lot since then - hopefully our games just keep getting better. :D

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. I'm With Her Intiniumgender: ⚧ for prison Daedalos' alt Dumbfuck Fargo Fanboy The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    The mo' you kno' de furder yu go !

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)