Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
quite grizzly

61440a93b7.png

Holy fuck, it's incredibly hard to find clipart of a teacup without its accompanying saucer.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
A look at some of the tech we are using in the DLC for Stasis - CAYNE.

Pyke, what software did you use to model 3d environments? They're slick and gorgeous. Did you use Unity for rendering?

Suggestion: could you add some EMP throwable item and mechanics within?
Main protagonist could construct the EMP salvaging well hidden loot in environment.
Than, the exploration could be even more rewarding. Basically, an ink drop of RPG/survival elements in the game.

Last edited:

Bastion

Educated
Can someone explain to me why
the doctor said that he might have pulled the trigger, but we are the one who reloaded the gun - something like that?

Prime Junta

Finally got around to playing this. Good times. Nice puzzles. Maybe a biiiiit too much pixelhunting but then I suppose that's part of the genre.

Just one question though, I thought it was a bit too upbeat and cheerful, don't you think you could've made it a little bleaker?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
A look at some of the tech we are using in the DLC for Stasis - CAYNE.

Pyke, what software did you use to model 3d environments? They're slick and gorgeous. Did you use Unity for rendering?

Suggestion: could you add some EMP throwable item and mechanics within?
Main protagonist could construct the EMP salvaging well hidden loot in environment.
Than, the exploration could be even more rewarding. Basically, an ink drop of RPG/survival elements in the game.

I use 3DSMAX with Vray for all my rendering. I've been an architectural artist for well over a decade and just keep on using those tools to get the work done!

We are playing around with some additional playing mechanics - but I really like the 'pure' adventure gaming genre - but Im always willing to explore stuff!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Can someone explain to me why
the doctor said that he might have pulled the trigger, but we are the one who reloaded the gun - something like that?

The doctor saw that his research and methods were supported by people gladly using the fruits of his labors. People using his discovered cures and research to make their lives better was 'loading the gun' - justifying what he was doing and pushing him further and further down the line of what was considered moral.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Finally got around to playing this. Good times. Nice puzzles. Maybe a biiiiit too much pixelhunting but then I suppose that's part of the genre.

Just one question though, I thought it was a bit too upbeat and cheerful, don't you think you could've made it a little bleaker?

I can always up the body count a little..

Prime Junta

I can always up the body count a little..

Awesome. Now if you'll excuse me I'll need to take a neural drill to the head. :thumbsup:

Athelas

Arcane
It's not often that I say this, but that looks absolutely disgusting.

Actually, I say that often, but this time it's a compliment.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
These are screens from new DLC?
Brofist.

Yep - we are going all out on it. Its my dream that people will complain about a lack of trigger warnings in the game when its released.

It's not often that I say this, but that looks absolutely disgusting.

Actually, I say that often, but this time it's a compliment.

Mission: accomplished.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Pyke, could you tell in a sentence what will be the setting of the prequel (if it's not spoiler) ?
Will there be some new mechanics incorporated in the DLC or something different you would like to point out compared to the main campaign?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Mechanically it will be the same as Stasis (with a few minor tweaks to the way the interface works). What we are using CAYNE as is a way to test out UNITY as a platform. We are writing all of our own tools for the game (so our own path finding, particle systems, save game (urgh), text and localisation, a lot of our own shaders) because we want to use these for the next few games - so they have to be robust, easy to support, and as easily modifiable as possible.

The setting revolves around a laboratory containing 2 rival groups of scientists who are trying to conquer death itself.

I've been in for a few surgeries and the idea of going under in the theater and waking up in a recovery ward at the end of them has always freaked me out - there is something about that missing period of time where incredibly invasive things have been done to you that just disturbed me. That fear will play a big part in the game.

lightbane

Arcane
The Strogg approve of your new aesthetics. Chances of main character coming out alive at the end of the game= 0% at least.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Holy shit! A new level of GORE!

I'm not as excited about bloody mess stuff as I used to be, but this looks impressive!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
http://thebrotherhoodgames.com/blog/

Nic and I have moved our office to Cape Town in the Western Cape of South Africa. Wow! This is a beautiful city, right at the tip of Africa. But amazing ocean views aside, we are now in full game production mode.
slaapstad.jpg

CAYNE will not be traditional DLC – you won’t need STASIS to play it. It’s also a self-contained story that ties back to STASIS without ruining the story.

The game itself is starting to draw together with the main framework of the engine already complete. We’re now moving onto the sound design for the completed areas and pushing this aspect further than we did with STASIS. Footsteps have distinct sounds depending on surfaces, sound is now directional and can be played based on distances.

The already completed musical score will be added too!. The musical score is incredible, with three different composers providing a unique texture and soundscape.

We have been polishing the game – oh, how obsessed with are will polishing our work! – with all the small effects that we’d have loved to do in STASIS, but just didn’t have the time or the technology to implement them. For example, a subtle light that our protagonist emits that let’s you find her easily on the screen, and beautiful 2D shader effects to bring liquids to life and particles get caught in shafts of light.

The art asset list is slowly getting shorter. While the overall CAYNE environment is smaller than STASIS, we’re trying to push the visuals into new and varied directions with a focus on both body horror and psychological terror. Ha!

A final draft of the dialogue is almost complete and we’ll be searching for our voice actors to go on this journey with us. Ryan Cooper (the voice of John) is back on the team – and we can’t wait to start working with him again!

The writing of the diary entries is complete with the writers providing some of the most disturbing entries and narratives I’ve ever read.

Multi-platform support is also being implemented from the ground up, and we now have CAYNE playing properly on both Mac and Windows. And, the bonus is, we’re also working on the long awaited Linux port of STASIS! The IOS version of STASIS is also in the works. It is a complete engine re-write by a mobile expert specifically for Apple devices.

We’re planning on crowd funding our next game and think that CAYNE will be a perfect example of what we intend on producing.

P S
The video documentary reward for backers is also in planning – although I really do need to get a haircut before we start shooting the final video footage.

I will leave you with an HD screenshot from CAYNE:

NO LOGO: i.imgur.com/FHITamQ.jpg

LOGO: i.imgur.com/VRH7suU.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom