Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Starting out M&M X for first time; party creation tips?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sage bros

any tips?

My sister just gifted this to me out of nowhere (!) even though I do my best to completely ignore my family members as much as possible (thanks sis!) and i have NEVER played a MM game before so I come here looking for basic tips, tripcs, Pro-Tips, gamefaqz and multimedia tweaks :)

if it's any help I have finished wizardry 8 twice before, once on easy and once on Normal, and left a hard play-through unfinished.

never played earlier wizardries.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The default party that they give you is alright and is good enough to complete the game. Might want to invest a couple points into earth magic or at the start on the wizard (or in the few levels after), regeneration spell is pretty OP in the beginning.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah i already played for a bit with the default party but... i'm a char-gen fag. i don't really see the point in playing a party-based crpg if i'm not min-maxing every single unit.

it's why i love wiz8 so much.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Bladedancers with daggers are OP.
Ranged chars suck.
Earth (regen) & Light (celestial armor) magic are essential.
Play on Warrior, as it will kick your ass in the first couple of Acts. Unfortunately, it becomes a cakewalk shortly after that. So maybe don't min-max.

sser

Arcane
Developer
You can make any group. I made a group of what was, at the time, the weakest possible classes and still did fine. Just do what you think is fun.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Get someone with primordial magic and train it to expert for identify spell asap. Also, the ranged classes are completely lackluster since kiting is not possible and ranged weapons are fairly weak.
Other than that you will be fine with almost any party composition since the game is not that hard after all.

Dorateen

Arcane
Fighters have skill abilities that draw upon mana, so don't neglect putting a few points into the Spirit attribute every now and then when leveling up.

Bring along a Dwarven Defender.

Serious_Business they did buff bows in a late patch. By the end game, I had a Ranger (Warden) doing decent damage. It was helpful in battles with enemies on multiple fronts, being locked down on one square, while another group was off to the side and otherwise out of reach.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Focus on skills where the characters can attain grandmastery. It's good to have a backup healer in case the primary one is knocked-out. Speaking of which, characters that are stunned, paralyzed, dead or otherwise incapacitated at the end of a combat will not receive experience.

In the beginning, the Light spell Celestial Armor will be your primary buff since it's good at absorbing damage. Identify (Primordial Magic) is a good spell to acquire early so you don't need to pay for identifying items. Burning Determination in Fire Magic is another good spell to have in order to prevent your characters from being stunned.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's good to have the heal-over-time ability from earth magic, like Nekot advises. This game has a very loose take on front-line/back-line, basically all it does is that the two right-most characters are less likely to be hit, so your backline will still get hit and frequently one-shot. But the heal over time will bring them back to life so they can quaff a potion.

sser

Arcane
Developer
One secretly good character when I was playing was the Human Mercenary. Of course, this may have changed by now, but anyway at the time the Humerc couldn't really maximize anyone skill set which seemed limiting. Except, the mercenary could carry a skill that allowed him to double-strike with two-handed weapons. This lead to massive burst damage even though he wasn't capping out his weapon/martial skills.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I thought that they buffed ranged characters in a later patch. Makes any difference?
Not really. Ranged characters are still bad.

Definitely have a heal over time guy. And a guy that can do a big heal. Honestly don't remember the game that well because it was generic-as-fuck and I uninstalled halfway through.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i can't take it anymore. this game is so fucking boring! i'll just play wiz8 for the millionth time :)

thanks for the kind replies however. :salute

Wizfall

Cipher
i can't take it anymore. this game is so fucking boring! i'll just play wiz8 for the millionth time :)

thanks for the kind replies however. :salute
Yea, same feeling here, played Wiz 8 (and Wiz 7 too) so many time... but for MM10 the almost complete lack of character customization and mandatory pre-made class/race combo in a damn blobber is awful design, a critical mistake.
This fundamental flaw make me drop the game early on.
In a blobber so few character development is unforgivable IMO

Mozg

Arcane
Air magic sucks because lots of relevant enemies resist it. IIRC an air-specialized freemage seems like an obvious choice on paper but it's actually a trap and isn't very good. I kinda remember fire/earth/light/water being the really good ones, although water has the problem that you have to get to like the third or fourth town before you start getting the stronger spells for it.

All that is based on earlyish patches.

DemonKing

Arcane
My ranger was dealing the most damage by the end of the game - with grandmastery in archery and a bow that could regenerate spell power he was routinely abusing a power that let him hit all enemies at once. The melee characters weren't even close to his damage output.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The beginning of MMX is sort of slow, but if you stick to it, it gets much better. Still the best blobber of the last 10 years.

Monocause

Arcane
aweigh Try and stick to it for a while longer. I never finished MM10 as one of the patches that introduced savegame cloud sync messed up my savegames somehow, but I was really into it.

In terms of classes I wouldn't recommend the human fighter class as it always seemed to me the other classes just trump him. Also wasn't a huge fan of the orcish classes. The Barbarian is quite cool, but the marauder and the shaman felt bit uninteresting in terms of their skill choices and specials.

As far as the rest go, they all seemed viable options. A thing to be considered is that the Freemage is the only class in the game to gain access to Dark Magic, and you either drop a single point into that to get the cloak and detect secrets spells (both very useful, the latter less so when you reach a certain point in the game) or you go all the way with it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I found that the paladin was underpowered compared to the mercenary - if I had to start over I would not pick the paladin again.

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm sure that's true. The experience I had, though, I think the paladin with sword Grandmaster and Destiny pumped for landing criticals often could be a respectable damage dealer. But without a dedicated cleric class, the paladin has to juggle keeping the celestial shield up, healing party members, and the occasional resurrection.

Again, I think Legacy would have been better going back to a six character party with expanded class options.

Monocause

Arcane
I found that the paladin was underpowered compared to the mercenary - if I had to start over I would not pick the paladin again.

Idea is to have paladin take tank/healer role. I didnt care about dps. What buffed bladedancers provided was more than enough. It was rare for paladin to just attack. Usually I had him busy casting something

Yep. The main idea is to make him as survivable as possible and work on healing the team - and he's really well suited for that. Any DPS you get on top of that (which isn't too difficult as long as you regularly put points into swords) is a bonus pretty much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom