Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Started playing Witcher 3... obviously I now need 200 mods to make it less popamole, more RPG.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
You need endless inventory to pick up even more herbs you will never use

Glaucon

Prophet
Most mods are oriented towards "balancing" the inventory and combat systems to make the game more difficult--but the fundamental combat mechanics just don't support that kind of gameplay. Itemization and crafting is rote and thoughtless, ie, there's no reason to think seriously about inventory management. The action combat is reflexive and twitchy, no at all tactical. Builds feel incredibly samey. There's really no RPG there to speak of. Just turn down the difficulty and breeze through the main story and DLC, if you own them.

Keppo

Arbiter
It's a less shitty version of a Bethesda "RPG", but still in the same vein.

Lmao. both games are not even in the same genre.. One is immersion simulator focused on exploration and the other is story driven. Witcher 3 is papamole done right, even if there is ton of stuff to improve for them in Cyberpunk 2077 in gameplay. I also think that half of Witcher 3 problems are from Sapkowski books and lore which is shit source for RPG. because of that they couldn't they even experiment that much with Geralt related stuff; combat system, character progression and many more...Even in story department they were limited by Geralt backstory and who he is, they couldnt experiment that much with C&C and dialogues choices - but still they did great job in that department nonetheless. Everything character (Geralt) related stuff is over-explained in books, fast paced combat, signs, two swords, how he fights, his behaviour, he dont kill pedestrians, he is not bad guy etc etc. Lesson? Don't make RPG's where source is fucking book. Of course they could some things done better more in technical than in design to make gameplay a bit better and not rape lore but still it was very thin line.

Of course there is no excusion for all these question mark which were the worst part of the game, or unpolished combat system and balance problems. Still had tons of fun with the game.

Last edited:

Keppo

Arbiter
Yeah, it has more of a bioware feel, especially with the story focus and shitty gameplay.

Story focus is fine, most of the old school rpgs have big story focus and are very highly regarded. If u want compare Witcher 3 because of story focus then compare it to Fallout New Vegas or even Planescape torment, not to nu-BioWare which everything narrative related and c&c are dogshit in their games.

Sentinel

Arcane
CDPR doesn't stay faithful to Sapkowski's books at all though, aside from Yen and Geralt's characterization and their interactions. Geralt not being a bad guy is a good thing as it gave the writers a lot more work to make choices different and intense - for example that quest with the baby/hym and the oven. I was completely stunned for a second and the timer kept running out. The quests stop being "do you want to be a bad or a good guy" and become about choosing the seemingly less shitty situation.

Sure the role-playing aspect suffers but I honestly didn't mind. It was very refreshing and Witcher 3 is a game I'll forever remember fondly. It had some incredible quests.

It also has plenty of C&C but the consequence is either not fed to the player directly or shoved into slideshows at the end. What I mean by "not fed directly" is that you won't get a character calling you a meanie sometimes, but if you pay attention to the environment you can see some consequences. Two that jump to mind is the fate of Keira Metz and the herbalist girl from the start & the woman she's healing.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Too many edgybois in this thread :lol:

Witcher 3 is a great storydriven action-rpg. Its rpg-elements are on the light side, so of course if you are looking for hardcore numbercrunching you should look elsewhere, but that doesnt mean its a bad game as long as it succeeds in delivering on the premise it was built around. Bethesda or Nubioware games do not achieve that goal, therefor they are absolutely inferior to Witcher 3.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Personally I don't see a point in playing anything in Witcher world if you played The Witcher 1. It is all basically same game but only more pompamole.
Come on, how can you say this with a straight face? There is orders of magnitude more story in Witcher 3 than in Witcher 1 (which I also love, by the way). Each game has its strengths and weaknesses.

Also BTW, we are probably see more of the series:

If they remaster TW1 I hope they don't touch anything but bugs, story problems and graphics. Gameplay in TW1 is superior to its sequels and does not need to be made worse.

Falksi

Arcane
Just don't be afraid to skip to the expansions after you've done Skellige, and the Bloody Baron, Fools Gold & Carnal Sins quests. Most of the main game other than those sections I found absolutely dull as fuck. I'd say for 100 hours worth or gaming in the main quest, you get about 15-20 hours fun, 80-85 hours slog.

Kitchen Utensil

Don't bother. Gameplay-wise the game is unsalvageable.
Terrible combat, terrible itemisation, terrible character progression, huge empty open world with nothing interesting to find in, mediocre story (with one or two standout quests).
The only good thing is the presentation. A polished, well presented turd.
Stay away.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Don't bother. Gameplay-wise the game is unsalvageable.
Terrible combat, terrible itemisation, terrible character progression, huge empty open world with nothing interesting to find in, mediocre story (with one or two standout quests).
The only good thing is the presentation. A polished, well presented turd.
Stay away.

^Good review of FF 15.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a great game, I'm not saying RPG, it deserves going through it for the story. The rest of the elements can be made less annoying with mods, but IMO combat will never become truly amazing, DS level.

After having made a first and completionist playthrough without any mods, here is my current mod list. BTW you said something about graphic whoring:

I have a bunch of others too, but these are the ones I had enabled when I checked now. I have a bit over 100 hours in my second playthrough with these mods. The setup is all stable, but to use this combination of mods, you may need to tinker with file merging a bit with Script Merger. Once you set it up though, it's solid. I recommend you use Generic Mod Enabler for easy toggling of mods on and off the list.

Cheers and have fun in the Northern kingdoms!

Kitchen Utensil

It's a great game [...]

lol

It's a complete shit game. A million swords, which all look and handle the same (but one is a steel and the other a silver sword! And they have different stats, and some have different handles! Wow, ingenious!), completely retarded "skill tree", witcher-sense bullshit you have to follow around every other quest, terrible movement on foot as well as on horse, trash loot everywhere, a handful of copy-pasted enemy types all over a map cluttered with a million copy-pasted, utterly irrelevant and uninteresting POIs, and a mediocre story. Even if you like the story, it doesn't make the game part any less retarded.

I don't even want to think about what could have been had they put all the work that went into that huge empty world and hours and hours of cutscenes into compelling systems and gameplay instead.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:didntreadlol:

No one gives a rat's ass about your opinion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom