Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Azazel

Arbiter
Looks like the suspicion that it was just a domain squatter forcing the name change was legitimate, as the domain no longer points to anything.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Alpha 0.65a, released ten days ago. To anyone who has been playing, is Starsector meaty enough to warrant buying into the Alpha?

Alpha 0.65a, released ten days ago. To anyone who has been playing, is Starsector meaty enough to warrant buying into the Alpha?

Yeah I'd like to know that too? How long 'till completion at least approximately? Does it have potenial to be a great space adventure rpg in the vein of Space Rangers 2 / Star Control 2?

And why the hell this isn't on Steam Early Access? Or why doesn't it have more exposure? I see all kinds of indie shit games getting massively financed and having a huge following while this seems quite obscure and it should be very interesting to a lot of people and gain a much larger following...

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter

Yeah I'd like to know that too? How long 'till completion at least approximately? Does it have potenial to be a great space adventure rpg in the vein of Space Rangers 2 / Star Control 2?

And why the hell this isn't on Steam Early Access? Or why doesn't it have more exposure? I see all kinds of indie shit games getting massively financed and having a huge following while this seems quite obscure and it should be very interesting to a lot of people and gain a much larger following...

At the current rate, it'll probably be complete sometime in 2020. Is it worth it now? Not really.

almondblight

Arcane
The combat is pretty fun. I thought it was worth it enough at $10. But I think the only stuff that's really been added in two years is a supply system (certain ships take a certain amount of supplies to field), stealing info from comm systems (which seems to involve mainly clicking on them and hoping not to be scanned), trading events (surpluses, blockades), and faction rep (no missions so this seems to mostly be "ships from faction X will fire on you if you blow up enough ships from faction X"). The systems themselves don't seem bad, but for two years worth of development time it's pretty unimpressive, especially when the core gameplay is missing.

Like another poster said, decent game, but doesn't seem like it will be finished before 2020 (assuming the developer doesn't slap a label on it and call it done).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are no missions in Vanilla yet but if you will install the mod called Starsector+ 2.2 you will get:

Main Features
- Modular faction integration
- Many all-new ships and weapons
- Character skills revamp
- NPC commander levels
- Smart randomized variants
- Bounties/grudges against the player
- Increased difficulty level
- Numerous balance changes
- Graphics improvements
- Arcade mission

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=431.0

Mods alone like Project Ironclad are worth forking 10$ Zion bux for this game... to be honest Commissar spend much more time and had more fun playing this little gem of game than some over hyped kick starters.

Norfleet

I remember this thread way back, but the game apparently vanished back into the vaporware oblivion from whence it came. Meh.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
The game is not vaporware. He is still developing. The latest version added a lot of economic things. I think this game will be very good when it's done. Only thing I would say is that the developer isn't exactly rushing things. Latest version came out on November 03, 2014.

Drowed

Arcane
Put it on Steam EA and I may be able to buy it. (And it kinda looks nice.) I don't have a international card anymore, so...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I keep coming back to it and taking a sip of the awesome, but I don't want to burn myself out on it before it's done. Game keeps getting better and better. If you want to get an idea of what the game is like, read some of the dev logs on the site- he goes into detail about the systems he puts in, and the reasoning behind them from a game design perspective. I wish the average AAA game had even half this much thought put into it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Followed this game for quite a bit back in the day. Recently remembered about it but couldn't remember the name. Pretty much expected it to have drifted into abandonware land. Glad to see it is still moving forward. Looks pretty awesome, though I'll wait for the game to actually get released before I'll fork over any money. A glacial development cycle is not something I intend to invest in.

cpmartins

Cipher
0.7 just got released, and it's so fucking unforgivable I wouldn't recommend it to start there. Sensor mechanics are still being tweaked and it's a bitch to start with. Fast fleets paired with crap sensor ranges will lead to frustration. Multifleet battles are insane fun.
Having said that, it adds a whole other dimension to the game. You were omniscient before, now you're a blind man feeling around for your environment.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
0.7 is out? Awesome! As long as they don't nerf Kommissar's favorite warship the Onslaught too much all should be well... Sensors? Who needs them when you can shoot Pirate Scum to pieces? :hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom