Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
r8mAE.png

What is Starfarer Starsector?

Starfarer Starsector is a single-player sandbox style space role-playing game with strategic elements. That’s quite a mouthful, though, so here’s what it boils down to – fly around with your highly customizable fleet, explore, build stuff, blow stuff up, advance your character. The goal is to give you lots of meaningful choices in a malleable world.

OFFICIAL SITE: http://fractalsoftworks.com/

• Single player, gritty, dystopian sci-fi setting
  • Classic top down gameplay style enhanced by modern technology
  • Unique character development system – advance your story, your way
  • Assemble a large, powerful fleet or a finely-tuned task force with hand-picked officers and crew
  • Outfit hulls with your weapons of choice, and add ship systems to create crushing tactical combinations
  • Explore hundreds of star systems to find habitable worlds, rich resource deposits, and advanced alien technology
  • Impact the inter-stellar economy with your decisions – decide the fate of entire planetary systems
  • Fight to bring stability and prosperity to the sector – or watch it burn while you take advantage of the chaos
  • Runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows

Current Features
  • Pilot your ship in top-down 2d combat
  • Command your fleet in tactical battles
  • Gain experience and improve your character’s skills
  • Detailed combat mechanics
  • Customize your ship’s loadout before battle
  • Explore a war-torn star system
  • Mod support for user-made factions, missions, ships, and weapons
Upcoming Features
  • Hire officers to give skill bonuses, pilot auxiliary ships, and oversee your operations
  • Explore the sector for knowledge and profit
  • Trade goods, run mining operations, build industries — and defend your interests
  • Become involved in factional politics

What the hell Codex, no thread yet? This sounds like a pretty sweet deal here.

baronjohn

Cipher
Those are some really sweet pixel graphics yo. They just need to change the fonts to something professional looking and suitable.

DakaSha

Arcane
free? wtf downloading
edit: not free. I guess im downloading a demo/alpha thing

Deakul

Augur
Fuck, the Alpha is only playable if you pre-ordered.
That pisses me off.

"PRE-ORDER THIS GAME AND GET A DEMO SO YOU CAN TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY I- OH WAIT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT IT LOL" :x

Stabwound

Arcane
To be fair, the pre-order is half price and you can play all of the updates leading up to the actual release.

Not that I've tried the game or anything.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Deakul said:
Fuck, the Alpha is only playable if you pre-ordered.
That pisses me off.

"PRE-ORDER THIS GAME AND GET A DEMO SO YOU CAN TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY I- OH WAIT YOU ALREADY BOUGHT IT LOL" :x
Yeah what the hell? I just downloaded it and found that out too. You could play ALL of Mount & Blade before it was released as a demo, you were just level limited. Even Minecraft (2M copies now sold) had a completely free online version. The only thing you paid for was an (at the time) very botchy single player survival mode.

I watched the YouTube combat demo but I wasn't sure what was happening. A swarm of tinny little ships blowing shit up. I want to know if this is like EV Nova where you WASD the ship and Space to fire or whether you just click and scroll and sit back and watch in the much more boring GSB style.

I'll wait for some other sucker to make the first move before I lay my $10 down.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Starfarer is a single-player sandbox style space role-playing game with strategic elements.
Space Pirates and Zombies ? It has a playable beta already.

Raapys

Arcane
Wow, that does look nice. Wonder if the pirates have it.

Oarfish

Prophet
You cheap bastards, just downloaded it and its got very promising combat game play. The fleet AI either crappy or I don't know how to work it as I end up swarmed while my chaps are nowhere to be seen.

This with a strategy and C&C could be space rangers II with combat that is actually fun.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah another indie shit that needs money before it's even finished e.g. mocap added.

Indies should fucking die. They are worse than EA. At least those finish their games before asking for money.

Raapys

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
At least those finish their games before asking for money.
Yeah, then they cut much of it out and sell it back to you at a later point.

Achilles

Arcane
It looks good, but I'm not planning on buying it unless I see a proper demo.

Oarfish

Prophet
Destroid said:
The combats look a bit like MDS (Homeworld 2) but in 2d.

It's much faster paced, or at least it is when I am getting steamed by torpedo bombers when my fighters have buggered off

DakaSha

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Ah another indie shit that needs money before it's even finished e.g. mocap added.

Indies should fucking die. They are worse than EA. At least those finish their games before asking for money.
You talk to much

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Oarfish explain how combat works. Do you click on stuff? Do you operate just the one ship or do you have several? Is it more RTS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom