Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starpoint Gemini.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
DraQ said:
Orgasm said:
Lie. Its mission 10. The first 5 are a fucking tutorial.
Tutorial is fucking labelled as such. It's not Relic's problem that your puny attention span can't handle the game starting slowly.

Ahahah. I have the attention span of the fucking universe. I just dont like braindead timewasters. But I like how you casually avoid your prior lie.

Another lie. They are non existent. Fact.
Dumbfuck's word VS official info AND ship definitions in game files, who should I trust and why?

Discuss!!

Indeed discuss. I had the decency to look up the game level for sensor drone while you were insulting my intelligence. I have actually looked for armor values and they dont exist. How about some proof? :salute:

Underhand lie. No scrolling.
Why would I want to scroll around empty space? Anything of interest I can focus my camera on.

Because navigation in 3d space is a pain in the ass without scrolling.

Hmm. Rpg? Let me quote you "SPACE GAME?!?! NO Z AXIS??! BIGGEST FAIL EVER !!!111"
Is this an apology? :M
No, just you failing to understand written word, sorry.

What?!

Apparently player can't maneuver in z-axis, can you confirm?

Seriously? In a fucking space game?

If true this would be the greatest FAIL ever.

If you can come up with any less retarded blanket term covering games as different as RTSes, RPGs, tactical games, shooters and simulators, provided they're set in space, I'm all ears.

Behold! The lack of a z-axis in games as different as rts, rpg, tactical games, shooters and simulators, provided they are set in space, are The Greatest Fail Ever.

You know, I give you a cheap and easy example. Lord Rockety here is doing an LP of a space game. Doesnt have a z-axis. Is it a GFE?!

Don't bother responding, go learn some letters from Morronshit.

DraQ

Arcane
Orgasm said:
I just dont like braindead timewasters.
You have my pity then. It must be pretty hard to live while hating yourself. Maybe you should contact Jasede and consult him for some useful hints? He may not be quite as much braindead, but he does have plenty of experience with self-loathing.

Dumbfuck's word VS official info AND ship definitions in game files, who should I trust and why?

Discuss!!

Indeed discuss. I had the decency to look up the game level for sensor drone while you were insulting my intelligence. I have actually looked for armor values and they dont exist. How about some proof? :salute:
tweak.script said:
Code:
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_UP]              1.3         ; vulnerable from above
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_DOWN]            1.3         ; vulnerable from below
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_RIGHT]           1.0
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_LEFT]            1.0
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_FORWARD]         0.9         ; good armor in front
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_BACK]            1.7         ; watch out for the engine!

I don't need to insult your intelligence, you're doing a stellar job yourself.
Maybe if you had enough brains to choose a capship rather than tiny sensor pack with fighter engine strapped to its rear, there would be some point in debating you, but right now I'm merely kicking you while you're down (as in "trisomic") and only continue doing so, because, frankly, I'm enjoying it - call it a guilty pleasure if you want to.

Because navigation in 3d space is a pain in the ass without scrolling.
You have scrolling in sensor manager which is used for long range navigation. During short range navigation there is just not much terrain to go in your face. Personally I found addition of scrolling in the sequel spurious and slightly distracting - it's not fucking Myth, FFS.

If you can come up with any less retarded blanket term covering games as different as RTSes, RPGs, tactical games, shooters and simulators, provided they're set in space, I'm all ears.

Behold! The lack of a z-axis in games as different as rts, rpg, tactical games, shooters and simulators, provided they are set in space, are The Greatest Fail Ever.

You know, I give you a cheap and easy example. Lord Rockety here is doing an LP of a space game. Doesnt have a z-axis. Is it a GFE?!
DraQ said:
Lord Rocket said:
No, it's like Space Rangers 2 or Escape Velocity: Nova or (blatant plug) Star Command. Or Star Control for that matter. Herp derp.
Aren't all those games using actual 2D engine, at least for the space part?

Stalepoint Gemini has no such excuse.
I rest my case. You just cannot into reading comprehension, you're too derp for that.

Don't bother responding, go learn some letters from Morronshit.
Butthurt detected.

BROTIP:
Try sucking a dick before you start doing your orgasm face again if riding it just makes things worse.

P.S.
:smug:

Norfleet

DraQ said:
What if scenario involves more than just two ships duking it out in the middle of nowhere?
The same applies, only on a larger scale. There's going to be your forces, their forces, and the axis of attack which connects them. It doesn't matter which way this axis is oriented. Flanking is just a maneuver that happens to be normal to the axis of attack...everything else is some variation of "towards" and "away". This is all the more apparent in SPACE when there is ABSOLUTELY NO TERRAIN to break up the utter sameness of any particular point on the map. YOU ARE IN SPACE. Any place is as good as any other place! Space lacks any true sense of "up" and "down". If you launch your forces to attack some vaguely defined notion of a vulnerable "top" side of the ship, absolutely nothing realistically stops me from simply rolling the entire fleet over 90 degrees so that you are now attacking from the "side". Other than Homeworld's arbitrarily defined sense of up and down.

DraQ

Arcane
Norfleet said:
DraQ said:
What if scenario involves more than just two ships duking it out in the middle of nowhere?
The same applies, only on a larger scale. There's going to be your forces, their forces, and the axis of attack which connects them.
What if there are more than two groups?

Technically any combat scenario between two units in isotropic environment can be reduced to 1d translation, possibly with 2-3d rotation thrown in.

Yes, arbitrary up and down or arbitrary weaknesses are lame, I get it, I agree, Homeworld isn't perfect.

Norfleet

DraQ said:
What if there are more than two groups?
This is the same as one group that has split its forces into one axial group and one normal flanking group, except perhaps with lousier coordination and a tendency to shoot each other. It isn't until you start adding N-way groups that the ability to be enveloped in 3D starts to become a factor, and by then there's really only one direction you should be going anyway: AWAY.

DraQ

Arcane
Norfleet said:
It isn't until you start adding N-way groups that the ability to be enveloped in 3D starts to become a factor, and by then there's really only one direction you should be going anyway: AWAY.
What if some of the other ships are allies and balance is maintained?
What if instead of other ships you're manoeuvring around some large structure?
What if you're duking it out in an otherwise cluttered environment, a ring system for example?
What if the game is a tactical game of some sort and you're coordinating multiple attack groups yourself?

There are many what ifs here. What makes more sense, trying to exhaustively check all those what ifs in an attempt to fully understand what part of space combat and spaceflight can be reasonably reduced to 2 or even 1d mechanics, or just considering that space is 3d and you will probably be using 3d engine anyway, so just try to model space-like environment in it and get it over with?

Orgasm

Barely Literate
DraQ said:
Orgasm said:
I just dont like braindead timewasters.
You have my pity then. It must be pretty hard to live while hating yourself. Maybe you should contact Jasede and consult him for some useful hints? He may not be quite as much braindead, but he does have plenty of experience with self-loathing.

What? You are one dumb motherfucker...

DraQ said:

Discuss!!

tweak.script said:
Code:
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_UP]              1.3         ; vulnerable from above
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_DOWN]            1.3         ; vulnerable from below
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_RIGHT]           1.0
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_LEFT]            1.0
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_FORWARD]         0.9         ; good armor in front
capitalSideModifiers[TRANS_BACK]            1.7         ; watch out for the engine!

I don't need to insult your intelligence, you're doing a stellar job yourself.
Maybe if you had enough brains to choose a capship rather than tiny sensor pack with fighter engine strapped to its rear, there would be some point in debating you, but right now I'm merely kicking you while you're down (as in "trisomic") and only continue doing so, because, frankly, I'm enjoying it - call it a guilty pleasure if you want to.

If only your keen dragon intelligence allowed you to differentiate between 10 and 14...
Tell me, how oh how did you mistake 10 for 14? I just dont want to imply that you are a disgusting, lying fuckface. And I dont think its you kicking me...

See, I did download the source and install that pos of a game and did a full content search on the files. Which you probably did too? Right? See, there is no tweak.script. So what is your source? Ah right, some fucking dude on the interwebs. Next thing, you'll quote Wikipedia in a doctor thesis. Oh wait, dragons are not allowed...

capitalSideModifiers[] does not have those values assigned to them anywhere!
I searched for 1.7 because frankly, the others dont matter anyway since as I explained before, you see them way to long before the attack and even the slowest ships can turn side and not get hit full in rear.
So please, do something besides pushing air, you limpdick.
Here is a start for you, its in tweak.h
real32 capitalSideModifiers[NUM_TRANS_DEGOFFREEDOM] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f };
Now show me where the damage is calculated or applied or whatever. I even accept real world testing.

DraQ said:
Lord Rocket said:
No, it's like Space Rangers 2 or Escape Velocity: Nova or (blatant plug) Star Command. Or Star Control for that matter. Herp derp.

I rest my case. You just cannot into reading comprehension, you're too derp for that.

Indeed, you rest your case. Because now after failed attempts of wiggling out of your original, retarded statement you reached a point of no return.
Now if a game uses a 3d engine (for what ever reason, be a technological, financial, matter of preference) like GalCiv2 and is set in space like GalCiv2 and does not have a z-axis like, hmm guess what?, GalCiv2, IT IS A GREATEST FAIL EVER! Like other "space" games using a 3d engine, which I wont list, because it makes me feel like talking to a 5 year old brat who cant accept that he was full of shit from the get go.

BROTIP:
Try sucking a dick before you start doing your orgasm face again if riding it just makes things worse.

P.S.

What does it have to do with anything?! Orgasm face?! Riding dick?! Are you now dropping you facade of a pseudo intellectual and rearing your ugly cakehole?

Yours truly

Orgasm

Barely Literate
So how is that information gathering coming along, scumbag?

DraQ

Arcane
Orgasm said:
If only your keen dragon intelligence allowed you to differentiate between 10 and 14...
Tell me, how oh how did you mistake 10 for 14? I just dont want to imply that you are a disgusting, lying fuckface. And I dont think its you kicking me...
Indeed, currently you're just kicking yourself. Why are you kicking yourself, derpgasm?

It's mission 14 unless you're just retarded enough to confuse proximity sensor which detects cloaked ships in its immediate proximity, with sensors array which provides much more detailed sensor information including blips corresponding with individual ships and actual identification of anything equal or bigger than cruiser.
Hell, you might be.

In any case, neither mission 10, nor 14 are mission 4.

See, I did download the source and install that pos of a game and did a full content search on the files. Which you probably did too? Right? See, there is no tweak.script. So what is your source?
tweak.script file which resides in homeworld.big archive of the full game and is used for setting up certain global tweakable variables, as opposed to a tweak.c source file taken from release of bare source code stripped of all actual content (contained mostly in the main .big archive) that merely declares the variables designed to be tweakable by external script on startup and their default values.

Then again, I don't think you are just smart enough to comprehend what I am trying to tell you, so I won't be surprised if you start flailing about and spouting gibberish all over again. Please, do entertain us.

Code:
real32 capitalSideModifiers[NUM_TRANS_DEGOFFREEDOM] = { 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f };
This here is merely a (somewhat sloppy) declaration of an array of NUM_TRANS_DEGOFFREEDOM real numbers, with specified default values to fill this array with.

Indeed, you rest your case. Because now after failed attempts of wiggling out of your original, retarded statement you reached a point of no return.
Now if a game uses a 3d engine (for what ever reason, be a technological, financial, matter of preference) like GalCiv2 and is set in space like GalCiv2 and does not have a z-axis like, hmm guess what?, GalCiv2, IT IS A GREATEST FAIL EVER! Like other "space" games using a 3d engine, which I wont list, because it makes me feel like talking to a 5 year old brat who cant accept that he was full of shit from the get go.
Butthurt detected.

What does it have to do with anything?! Orgasm face?! Riding dick?! Are you now dropping you facade of a pseudo intellectual and rearing your ugly cakehole?
No, I'm just twolling a wetawd.

Successfully, I might add.

Norfleet

DraQ said:
What if some of the other ships are allies and balance is maintained?
If some of these other groups are allied, you should probably be picking an axis of attack to coordinate with them, or else your fire is going to be completely unfocused and ineffectual.

DraQ said:
What if instead of other ships you're manoeuvring around some large structure?
At that point you are no longer really in "space", but instead in some kind of crazy maze. Also, you can't see anything because the structure is blocking your camera. Play Descent instead.

DraQ said:
What if you're duking it out in an otherwise cluttered environment, a ring system for example?
Then both your fleet and your enemy's fleet is now a garbled mess of units as the pathfinding code gets utterly confused, with half of them stuck against a rock 3 screens back. Anyone with sense is avoiding this place like the plague. That, or your environment is not THAT cluttered, in which case, as before. Obstacles in such games rarely mean anything unless it is possible to collide with them, or they mess up your pathfinding. Space is BiG.

DraQ said:
There are many what ifs here. What makes more sense, trying to exhaustively check all those what ifs in an attempt to fully understand what part of space combat and spaceflight can be reasonably reduced to 2 or even 1d mechanics, or just considering that space is 3d and you will probably be using 3d engine anyway, so just try to model space-like environment in it and get it over with?
Well, other than the fact that in order to obstaclize 3D space sufficiently that it STOPS being mostly isotropic, you need to put in gallons more stuff than you did in 2D, sure. A single large 3D object is not sufficient to really change anything.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sad persons that never played beyond mission 3 of homeworld (if even).

Pity them.

Norfleet

Hey, I beat the entire thing. Even jacked the entire sphere of ion frigates. At no point in the process did its sphereness ever really jump out at me, and it was basically a 1D line exactly as I mentioned.

obediah

Erudite
Lord Rocket said:
DraQ said:
Lord Rocket said:

So... the reason why old RPGs were turn based is because of technical limitations?

Yes. Each for one or both of the following two reasons.

1) TB allowed them to exploit AI and mechanics that were too computationally intensive for real time.

2) CRPGs were TB because PNP CRPGS were TB. PNP RPGS were TB because the war games they evolved from were TB. They were TB because abstracting the flow of time into discrete turns was the only way to manage any strategic complexity beyond little boys playing with green army men.

The hardcore strategy gamers seem to have had a much better time migrating back to RT models once machines were beefy enough. They seem to get 1-2 RT games that maintain the complexity they want while cranking the realism up a notch by getting rid of turn-based complications. I haven't seen an RPG that did that successfully.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Yes, and Close Combat is the pinnacle of a gaming orgasm...

Go kill yourself.

tindrli

Arcane
there is a 75 % discount if anyone is still interested and 4 EUR-s seems like a good deal at least in a first 4 minutes

Features:

• Vast and interesting Gemini star system
  • More than 50 different sectors connected via T-Gates
  • Numerous space stations, asteroid mining bases, asteroid fields with ore to be mined, randomly appearing anomalies, encounters with pirates or vessels in distress, trade convoys, military patrols, nebulas and many more elements that create a deep and immersive experience
  • Deep and intriguing main storyline with numerous twists and plots
  • Over 300 freelance missions
  • Skill system with 30 upgradeable ship maneuvers
  • Increase your ranks and gain perk points
  • Over 300 upgradeable ship systems; from weapons and shields to power cores and thrusters
  • Random global events system that will enhance your play

http://fireflowergames.com/shop/starpoint-gemini-gold/

SPG_1_Gold_6.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom