Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starpoint Gemini.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's been showing up here and there. Anyone already gave it a try? Looks like it could be good fun or utter failure in equell amounts.

http://www.starpointgemini.com/

Starpoint Gemini is a role playing tactical simulation, set in
a unique and diverse science fiction universe. Smart use of
your upgradable skills and vessel is the key for success. As a
player, you're free to roam the rich and living Gemini star
system and advance your avatar the way it suits your playing
style the best. When you're ready you can tackle the
challenging campaign and discover what secrets this troubled
system is hiding. Sift through the massive selection of ships
and ship systems and create that perfect battleship you always
wanted. To aid you in your quest, is a large selection of
capable officers you can hire and gain special bonuses. Get
ready to embark on an unforgettable journey into the depths of
space.

Freedom - Experience the full freedom of Gemini. Explore,
fight, mine and trade in a rich and stunning free-roam
universe.

RPG - Gain experience and Rank to unlock over 30 skills and
over 15 special passive bonuses.

Armada - Spend Credits to buy one of over 50 powerful ships
and upgrade them to fit your unique playing style.

Upgrade - Choose from over 300 unique ship systems and
assemble your very own tool of destruction.

Narrative - Embark on a deep and thrilling journey into the
political plots plaguing Gemini, spanning over 30 large
campaign missions.

Change - Every action provokes a reaction. The universe
changes according to your actions.

Crew - Enlist officers to help you survive in space, where
every wrong move could be your last.

Mercenary - Hundreds of side missions. Search and destroy,
Rescue, Salvage, Anomaly research, mining something for
everybody.

starpoint_gemini-_debut_trailer_hd-384697-1279605396.jpeg

pipka

Savant
They could've present some kind of demo, at least. Paying 30$ for a product basing one's opinion just on screenshots and vids is hit or miss.

Raapys

Arcane
I've "acquired" it, but haven't really played any. Seems you had to go through the stupid tutorial or something to actually start a proper game.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Raapys said:
I've "acquired" it, but haven't really played any. Seems you had to go through the stupid tutorial or something to actually start a proper game.

Apparently player can't maneuver in z-axis, can you confirm?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah it just sounds so profoundly moronic, which is why I'm asking.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, it's 2D space basically. With cam behind the ship. Not a regular space sim, if that's what people were expecting. Looks like you mostly use the mouse to maneuver, though as I said I haven't played all that much. Haven't even gotten to try combat yet; kinda dropped it when I heard most people were having a crash once they tried starting a proper campaign. So looks like it'll need at least one patch( and thus new crack) to be playable.

DraQ

Arcane
Raapys said:
Yeah, it's 2D space basically. With cam behind the ship. Not a regular space sim, if that's what people were expecting.
So it's like an iso RPG where you can only move north and south?
:smug:

LOL, no sorry, it just cracks me up.
:lol:
brb gotta roll on the floor for a while giggling like a little girl
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lord Rocket

Erudite
No, it's like Space Rangers 2 or Escape Velocity: Nova or (blatant plug) Star Command. Or Star Control for that matter. Herp derp.

Anyway I'm not removing from inventory now.

PS. someone start a thread in strategy gaming and adventure gaming so we can be sure there's enough threads.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
DraQ said:
Turisas said:
Raapys said:

Seriously? In a fucking space game?

If true this would be the greatest FAIL ever.

A NEW GENRE IS BORN! A SPACE GAME!!!!111

DraQ

Arcane
Orgasm said:
DraQ said:
Turisas said:
Raapys said:

It's a super- and inter-genre classification, you dolt.
It encompasses games as different as Homeworld, Nexus, Frontier and, yeah, Stalepoint (if you excuse the lack of turd themed "joke" on my part).

Mortmal

Arcane
Luckily there's still rpgwatch for infos about games that are neither bioware nor bethesda related :

by Dhruin, 21:01

Starpoint Gemini has been released on GamersGate (thanks Michi), though I'd suggest holding off for the moment because there appears to be a versioning issue, with players (including myself) reporting crashes and some debug commands are still active. LGM are investigating and we'll let you know any further news.

Not that its much info but for now i read nothing urging me to go buy it.I dont see anything on something awful neither, gently caress this game then... I think if it was awesome we would already had heard of it.Nothing on starpoint gemini official site , no forums, i am not registering on their facebook group to see the news, no.

Shannow

Waster of Time
RPGWatch: How much inspiration have you taken from previous genre entrants such as Escape Velocity: Nova or Space Rangers 2? Conversely, what makes Starpoint Gemini different?

LGM: A number of SciFi titles could be said to be our inspiration, ranging from video games to TV shows and books. I'm sure a lot of gamers will see different aspects of SPG as influenced by something, and I'm not saying that's not true, but I can't say Escape velocity Nova and Space Rangers 2 are on the top of the list. We strived to create something different and I think we did just that with a rare blend of tactical combat, RPG and free roam, all of which in space. We did learn from other games, all sorts of games, be it a space sim or a classic fantasy RPG.

In SPG strong emphasis is set on combat tactics. Smart use of skills and ship's stronger points is the key. In Gemini you can be the captain you want to be. You might want to focus on capturing other vessels, or perhaps you want to do it the old fashioned way and go brute force, with minimal use of skills, but with heavy improvements of the ship itself. Some might be interested in heavily relying on skills and some of us will strive to balance it out and have the best of both worlds. Whatever you choose, it is there, it is doable.
Yuck. The gameplay footage looks awful, too.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
http://kontraband.se/blog/wp-content/up ... apping.gif
C
DraQ said:
Orgasm said:
DraQ said:
Turisas said:
Raapys said:

It's a super- and inter-genre classification, you dolt.
It encompasses games as different as Homeworld, Nexus, Frontier and, yeah, Stalepoint (if you excuse the lack of turd themed "joke" on my part).

Dolt?!
Listen, smartypants, can you read your own quote, yes?
NO Z SPACE GAEM GRAETEST FAIL EVA!! OLOLOL - those are your words, right?
Lets not touch the more important concepts of gameplay regarding the z axis in such hit classics as Homeworld and its (the z axis) failure to matter but concentrate on the semantics.
I just fucking googled "space game" and in my humble opinion you just invented a new "super- and inter-genre" classification, you turd. Enjoy your planet games!
Now excuse me, I gotta go stab myself in the eye for arguing with a dragon furry morronwind lover.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The spacestation in that screenshot (plus a few others) looks suspiciously like a Minmatar station in EvE Online.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok, I've 'trialed' it and fuck me the tutorial has to be the most tedious and fucking boring thing in the history of games! Unskippable too! You can't start a campaign until you do it!

The game aspires to be some kind of Space Rangers + Star Wolves cross, but so far it fails at both. The lack of a third axis makes it play like those shitty Star Trek games from the beginning of the decade which operate very similar with the camera fixed behind your warship and commands on the interface.

It's like 'Nexus: The Jupiter Incident' never happened and that was 6 years ago!

I can forgive the bad acting and average graphics. It's an indie title from some Slavs...but the shitty game decisions and treacle like pace of the game really are trying my patience.

Combat so far sucks as the ship doesn't seem to follow the target, meaning you have to constantly click, click,click to change heading and regulate speed at the same time, before clicking again when the enemy is in the firing line. FUCK it is shitty! Maybe later you get auto tracking turrets and other aids to make combat easier because as it it, it fucking sucks.

The perks and skills and the hiring of crewmen are nice features, but not radically different from what I've seen already in Star Wolves, a game series that did all this 'tactical RPG combat in space' thing a hell of a lot better and more intuitively.

As for the trading bit, well it was a lot more fun in Space Rangers. Mining asteroids is far shittier than you might imagine, pointless waste of time when it could be automated. This is again due to the glacial pace of traveling and scanning, and clicking.

Everything seems to take three times as long to do as in other games of the type.

Recommendation so far: AVOID unless you really are desperate for something of this type, but then I'd urge you to play the rough but good Star Wolves series and/or Space Rangers 2.
@ DraQ I see you caught the wrath of the resident ragebot as I did yesterday. Enjoy :smug:

Lord Rocket

Erudite
DraQ said:
Lord Rocket said:
No, it's like Space Rangers 2 or Escape Velocity: Nova or (blatant plug) Star Command. Or Star Control for that matter. Herp derp.
Aren't all those games using actual 2D engine, at least for the space part?

Stalepoint Gemini has no such excuse.

So... the reason why old RPGs were turn based is because of technical limitations?

Also, why am I defending this game I probably won't even like it. Fuck.

Lastly somebody tell me which is the best Star Wolves game so I can play that. Thanks.

BoboSmrad

Novice
Well, I bought the game as well, and I did get what i expected, even better, I aimed for Starfleet Command-like game, and this one's better when it comes to freeform play, and rpg parts. So far, so good :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom