Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Starflight 3 - upcoming sequel from original developer

The crowdsourcing campaign just turned up as a preview on Fig: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3

052aa97e-fa19-4e07-8eaf-d5c832ab47f4

Starflight was the first PC game to go platinum, selling over a million copies while also garnering huge critical success earning “Adventure Game of the Year”. Its sequel, Starflight 2: The Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula went on to receive “Role-Playing Game of the Year”. We're building Starflight’s next incarnation under the creative direction of its original designer, Greg Johnson and we can't do it without your help!

67f42d05-f7ce-4d6f-945b-d21b8cd7f306

1eecfe92-3c1d-48b9-a295-0d592ee84d32

• A sci-fi single-player, sandbox role-playing game that focuses on exploration, diplomacy, resource gathering and combat
  • Hand-built planets and star systems to discover, mine, catalog new creatures and trade with locals
  • Alien races with distinct languages and cultures that will test your diplomacy skills
  • Ship and crew customization to suit your play style
  • Mind-bending clues scattered across the stars that you must decipher to keep going in the right direction
  • Random events that will make some of your decisions easier and at times… difficult
  • A truly free-form experience allowing you to decide how to explore whenever you want to
cb582520-9d9d-4f11-87f4-f18ae8e910be

About 30 years ago a tiny 5-person videogame developer, Binary Systems released Starflight and it set the bar for the space RPG genre. Starflight is a master class in blending procedurally generated exploration, crafted storytelling and deep world building to create a truly free-form player experience.

Most importantly, the DNA of Starflight can be seen in so many space RPG games of today. It had a direct influence on titles such as Star Control, Mass Effect and Dwarf Fortress. If there’s a space opera you love, chances are a good chunk of Starflight is in there!

236bc9dc-503c-4c9c-b63a-ce6746419b4d

Starflight 1

You’re a starship captain in the year 4620 and what’s left of humanity is under threat after scientists discover that nearby stars are flaring and destroying everything that orbits them. While searching for a solution you realize that the fuel ships use, called Endurium, is actually a race of living sentient beings! Their homeworld is a crystal planet that moves slowly through the galaxy causing the stars to flare up as it tries to stop humans and other aliens from using them as fuel. After planting and detonating an ancient artifact on the crystal homeworld you end the threat!

231a9bf0-fddf-4b44-bd33-36ef4f5f8bbf

11048c47-dd0c-4dec-8054-97e792d134a6

Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula
After the destruction of the crystal planet in Starflight 1 and the ensuing ban on using Endurium as fuel for starships, a new “super fuel” is discovered called Shyneum. The source of all Shyneum exists at a hidden location deep in the treacherous Cloud Nebula. This location is controlled exclusively by a race called the Spemin who now wish to enslave humanity. Therefore the player’s main mission is to find the source of Shyneum at all costs. During the player’s quest she travels back in time and retrieves an ancient data cube containing schematics for powerful weapons and armor. The player’s ship is upgraded allowing the player to enter into the Cloud Nebula defeating the hostile inhabitants and securing the source of Shyneum. The balance of power is restored and humanity is saved again!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F05%2F21%2F1a0b724a-520b-4253-8382-756914f0c5aa

Another chapter in the Starflight universe is here! Starflight 3 brings new alien races to encounter, completely uncharted star systems to discover, and never before seen planets to explore. All grounded in the same genre-defining gameplay mechanics of the original Starflight games. And, something’s not right, not with humans, not with aliens, not with the galaxy—not with the universe itself!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F08%2F28%2Fbdcb3f9c-584b-4b32-88b7-3f34a5aa9ef7

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F05%2F21%2Fd6e29aed-4df4-4239-8003-0cfa637bb3e2

Build Your Team and Upgrade Your Ship

dbc93eca-49f9-45af-b09e-ba3c5fcc179e

Nothing else matters if your crew and ship aren't up to the task! Starflight 3will require you to keep them healthy and functioning at all times:

• Assemble a crew from the brand new alien races in Starflight 3, each race with its unique strengths and weaknesses
  • Earn skill points to train crew members along the way. Communications Officer still wet behind the ears? Well then expect to not understand a lot of what these aliens are saying to you! Navigator an old veteran? Then don't worry as you pop out of that wormhole into unknown space. He'll pinpoint your new location.
  • Your ship is as solid as they come but it's got room to improve. In Starflight 3 you'll be able to upgrade almost every part of your ship: weapons, shields, engines, increased cargo space.
  • Certain rare upgrades in Starflight 3 may even allow you to land and navigate high G planets or gas giants, traverse through wormholes unharmed, take quantum jumps in and out of space, and more!

db28052e-7231-43cb-aab0-accba275e40b

Traverse the Stars

35b88c09-88c0-4f12-ac94-04829a0d3bc9

Starflight 3 is big, like BIG big. With new star systems to visit you'll need to keep an eye on fuel levels, avoid hostile territory (or not) and never EVER take an eye off your long range scanners.

Mine, Harvest, and Trade

b00aca30-7294-4c54-8594-d27b29311700

In Starflight 3's all new planets you'll find trade centers like the one above. Of course you can trade minerals, plants and animals here but there's also the chance to find rare items or clues to what's going on. Don't discount the value of information!

a113d84b-f9b1-4120-a70d-ebb9c9615fa4

Starflight 3's planets are extremely diverse:

• Mine rocks and minerals for repairs or to sell
  • Harvest plants
  • Log or capture animal specimens
  • Barter with the locals at trade depots
  • Get tips to locations containing ancient ruins or relics
  • Land and hide out while a more powerful enemy passes on by

d2afe37d-faf8-4a21-bd07-36ed996b359b

Alien Diplomacy is Essential

c8598c76-a49b-4f5c-9eb5-677ca4896c10

Interacting with aliens in Starflight 3 isn't just about understanding their language. You'll have to decipher their entire perspective on life, the universe, the whole shebang! One race may speak in colors, another may describe things through shapes. Translating their words is one thing but understanding what they're saying is the much bigger puzzle!

• New alien races from the previous Starflight games will be encountered, each with unique ships, weapons, attitudes and cultures
  • Each alien encounter is part of a puzzle to solve that provides clues to the big picture
  • Some will fear you right away, others will attack without hesitation, but ALL have something you need

Combat is a Fact

b7158cb5-8348-4d19-9736-6188e04fbd79

Try as you might there is no avoiding it. Words will fail, warm gestures will be ignored and "good vibes" never really worked to begin with. Ship combat in Starflight 3 breaks down like this:

• The armor, shields and weapons systems of your ship are upgradeable and in some cases interchangeable
  • The weight of your ship and the power of your thrusters will affect your maneuverability
  • Retreat is always an option and uhh... you might want to take it for your first few encounters

Save the Universe!
Aliens are gettin’ weird, humans are gettin’ crazy, and no one knows WHY! We can figure it out together in the Starflight universe but not without help out here in the real universe! So please select one of our awesome backer reward tiers or become an investor through Fig! Thank you!!!

f33a60f7-7d0a-41be-b3ff-a347ae7cb463

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F05%2F21%2F15cc691e-00e5-4c60-afdc-5d0abe588283

Who better to set the vision for Starflight 3 than the guy who created the first two Starflight games!? That guy is Greg Johnson, Studio Head at HumaNature Studios. Since Greg released the first two Starflight games he has gone on to work on a ton more games. But in the back of his mind there's always been churning a third chapter in the Starflight epic. And now with your support it's time to bring that to life!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F05%2F21%2Fc4855537-1f9d-460e-b137-cb22e94e228a

We’re in pre-production with playable prototypes for planetary exploration, star system navigation and ship encounters! Greg has the story planned out for the game and we’ve established early look-and-feel pieces that are represented in playable demos. On the Design front we’re starting to iterate on the fundamental gameplay systems (e.g. combat, planetary exploration, navigation). We’re beginning work on our dialog system, biome randomization and the alien species' languages and cultures.

The money we raise on Fig will allow us to keep our team very small and focused and continue to quickly iterate during pre-production.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
“Adventure Game of the Year”
:literallyshaking:

I love Starflight! I hope that "creative direction" means something hands-on and not honorary.

On a less serious note, my thoughts:

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Starflight and its sequel were some of the greatest RPGs. And, perhaps, the two greatest Sci-Fi RPGs ever. Not sure how I feel about this figstarter. TBH this trailer does not feel like Starflight. Also, the subtitle 'Universe' is kinda worrisome. I have a feeling that it is going to be MMO and game as a service.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This can only end in disappointment, although I would like to be proven wrong

ColCol

Arcane
Not really excited, how would this differ from any space themed rpg, like for example...Star Trader Frontiers.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
oasis789 To be honest, that kind of weird nosedive path is pretty common for the early generation of designers.

ColCol Starflight had a more narrative and exploratory focus rather than being based on Taipan!-style trading loops.

I just remembered that they did a February 2015 Kickstarter for a Toejam and Earl game. November 2015 projected release date. Last update from today, announcing an extended beta and Starflight 3! "Fall 2018" release date. Since that's much less behind schedule than Fallen Gods, I will certainly not pooh pooh, but it does seem like, if it takes you an extra three years to make Toejam and Earl, it may take an extra while to make Starflight.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I like the videos and I loved Starflight, but I would not have called it "a game about stories" or a "novel" -- what is this, Where the Water Tastes Like Spemin?

Morkar Left

or is it?

Now on kickstarter fiq!

Who better to set the vision for Starflight 3 than the guy who created the first two Starflight games!? That guy is Greg Johnson, Studio Head at HumaNature Studios. Since Greg released the first two Starflight games he has gone on to work on a ton more games. But in the back of his mind there's always been churning a third chapter in the Starflight epic. And now with your support it's time to bring that to life!

We’re in pre-production with playable prototypes for planetary exploration, star system navigation and ship encounters! Greg has the story planned out for the game and we’ve established early look-and-feel pieces that are represented in playable demos. On the Design front we’re starting to iterate on the fundamental gameplay systems (e.g. combat, planetary exploration, navigation). We’re beginning work on our dialog system, biome randomization and the alien species' languages and cultures.

The money we raise on Fig will allow us to keep our team very small and focused and continue to quickly iterate during pre-production.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Thanks for the post. I somehow missed Starflight 1 and 2, and I don't remember ever hearing about them until I saw news about this fig the other day.

Anyone that has played them recommend them for play today? I understand the difference between being a good game for its time and still being a good game.

Also, I will invest in this fig. We were just whining in another thread about how rare sci-fi rpgs are. I can't whine about the lack of something and then not fund that something when I get the chance.

Morkar Left

Thanks for the post. I somehow missed Starflight 1 and 2, and I don't remember ever hearing about them until I saw news about this fig the other day.

Anyone that has played them recommend them for play today? I understand the difference between being a good game for its time and still being a good game.

Also, I will invest in this fig. We were just whining in another thread about how rare sci-fi rpgs are. I can't whine about the lack of something and then not fund that something when I get the chance.

Absolutely recommended. Play the amiga versions. But don't expect character leveling. It's not there. You just buy better skill levels with money. But exploration and how the story unfolds is simple great!

Irata

Scholar
Wow. This pretty much completes the games I was hoping to see from the Kickstarter nostalgia craze. Too bad most of them were disappointing, but hey...

I haven't backed a game in a long time, but I've told myself this is one of the few games I'd still pay for.

"If Starflight didn't exist, Gearbox wouldn't exist, that means Borderlands wouldn't exist.
Randy Pitchford, President and CEO of Gearbox Software"

As much I enjoyed Starflight, that is a trade I'd make for the good of mankind.

Tiospo

Learned
What's really interesting is that it appears to involve original SF1&2 lead designer Greg Johnson!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/786

We’re Public!
POSTED: 08/28/2018

It’s Happening!
Today’s the day folks! The goal is set, the rewards are locked in, and the team has switched from coffee to tea. If you’re coming to the campaign page for the first time and reading this then welcome!

We couldn’t get this far without you and we’re asking you to keep the support going! Right now is the time to spread the love for Starflight 3 far and wide! We’re on Twitter and Instagram (@StarflightGame) so keep an eye there for cool updates as we keep the the thrusters at full burn!

And please make sure to get involved in the comments section with stories, questions or just general proclamations of your favorite thing about Starflight!

Thank You
The reason this campaign exists and is now finally public is because of the love from all of you for Starflight. Again, thank you so much for that! And if you’ve been with us since Backstage Pass an extra special thanks to your early support, comments, questions and insight. We took every single one into account as we figured out the public launch. Thank you again all so much! YEAH!!!

Stay Tuned!!
We’ve got some fun updates planned throughout the campaign so buckle up and LET’S DO THIS THING!

And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/789

25% Funded!
POSTED: 09/04/2018

A Quarter Way There
Thank you so much for taking us to a quarter way to our goal! This is a HUGE milestone for the campaign and the team’s morale! Every dollar counts and your support is what’s making all these dollars roll in! Thank you!

Press Coverage
We’ve been getting some solid coverage in the press thanks in no small part to Greg’s interview with PC Gamer. Check out some of the highlight coverage below:

PC Gamer Interview with Greg Johnson

https://www.pcgamer.com/starflight-3-aims-for-classic-sci-fi-storytelling-in-a-new-part-of-space/

Den of Geek

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/v...ks-the-return-of-the-classic-space-rpg-series

Horror Geek Lift

https://horrorgeeklife.com/2018/08/28/starflight-sequel-announced/

MMORPG

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/starfli...ring-a-classic-series-back-to-life-1000049612

OnRPG

http://www.onrpg.com/videos/starflight-3s-fig-campaign-has-begun/

FAQ Updated
We’ve been diligently scanning the comments here on the campaign page as well as from all over the internet. We’ve distilled down the most common questions we found and updated our FAQ to reflect them. So when you get a chance head over and check it out!

Tandelou Bridge Concept
As we think about an alien species and what an encounter with them might be like, we think about things that would express to us who this alien species is. Of course that goes beyond just the words they use (if they even use them!), or what they look like but also the kind of environment in which they hang out! Few things say “cool sci-fi environment” than the bridge of an alien spacecraft.

So here’s some of our concepts for the bridge of a Tandelou command ship!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F05%2F18%2F1f5573ca-0558-4f64-b6e6-6ce8395698fe

We’ve got more fun updates coming your way so keep an eye out later this week! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram(@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Not much of an interview: https://www.pcgamer.com/starflight-3-aims-for-classic-sci-fi-storytelling-in-a-new-part-of-space/

Starflight 3 aims for classic sci-fi storytelling in a new part of space
A Starflight 3 crowdfunding campaign began today.

The 1986 space exploration game Starflight was a remarkable thing. It set players off on a trek through 270 star systems, each with multiple explorable planets, to harvest resources, colonize worlds, deal with alien races, and solve a star-spanning mystery—all of it contained on a floppy diskette that wouldn't have enough capacity to hold a single photo taken by an average mobile phone today. It was basically primordial Mass Effect, and it was brilliant.

Today, indie developer HumaNature, founded by original Starflight co-creator Greg Johnson, took the first step toward (finally) making Starflight 3 with the launch of an $800,000 crowdfunding campaign on Fig. New species, systems, and planets are planned, but the core gameplay mechanics of the original games will remain: Assemble, maintain, and grow a diverse starship crew, then lead it across a handcrafted galaxy, making friends (and enemies), solving problems, and trying to understand what it all means.

Alien interactions, which were given a fairly superficial treatment in the first two games, will be an area of particular focus in Starflight 3. Johnson said he's inspired by films like Arrival and David Brin's Uplift novels, and wants to incorporate truly alien races into the game rather than just "people in alien suits," with completely non-human perspectives on the universe and themselves. The plan is to make those alien natures integral to Starflight 3's overall story—if you want to really know what's going on, you're going to have to get to know some folks from outside your neighborhood.

"You have to dig deep into how they understand things if you want to unravel the mysteries of what the universe is, what we are," he said. "I don't want to give anything away, I don't want to tell you too much of the story, but it gets very deep."

Starflight 3 will start off with a crisis (of course) that's left Earth locked down under quarantine—but you, the intrepid space captain, manage to slip away and set about cleaning up this latest mess. It's a fairly standard videogame setup at first blush, but as you dig into matters you'll discover that the problem you thought you were solving is maybe not actually the problem at all.

"You come to find out as you get out there that it's much much deeper than that, there are twists and turns that keep flipping the whole story on its head, upside-down, until you realize that it has its roots in the whole source of the galaxy and who we are," Johnson said—at which point project lead Anthony Vaughn stepped in to keep him from spilling any more beans.

Vaughn said he's been poking at Johnson to return to the series for years now—Starflight 2 is his "number-one game of all time"—but it's only now that their workloads have allowed them to get together on it. And while these old-time game resurrections are sometimes hamstrung by hassles over rights and ownership, getting the green light for Starflight 3 was no problem at all: Rod McConnell, another designer and programmer on the original Starflight, owns the property and was happy to see the project go ahead.

"I called him up and said, 'Hey, we want to do this, would that be cool?' And he just laughed and said, 'Haha, you are Starflight, of course, do whatever you want—it's yours'," Johnson said. McConnell still owns the Starflight property, but getting the Starflight 3 ducks in a row was "super, super-easy."

The Starflight 3 Fig campaign has been in "Backstage Pass" mode—sort of an early access mode for investors and people who have signed up for Fig—during which it pulled in just shy of $100,000. The public campaign has a goal of $800,000, and runs until September 27. If all goes well, very tentative launch target has been set for the end of 2020.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

CEO and Co-Founder of Gearbox Software, Randy Pitchford caught up with us to discuss what Starflight meant to him as a kid and how it influenced his entire video game career!

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
I for one will play the fuck out of this, I don't care how much soyboy sex-predator semen is on it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/791

New Backer Exclusive Add-Ons!
POSTED: 09/07/2018

You Spoke and We Listened!
We’ve been keeping an eye in the comments section, reading every tweet and basically scouring the internet for what folks are saying. And we think you could use some options! So, today we posted 3 new add-ons for people who want to add some of the sweet backer-exclusive items to their pledge. Check em out!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F07%2Fcd708fdc-6bfb-44f8-9826-ae09f472376b

Backer Exclusive Starship

This sweet ship is only available during the Fig campaign. It will have a different look from the standard ship that is included in the game at launch. It will also have a couple additional perks to help you get from here to there a little more easily than if you just had the standard starship.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F07%2Fc11ded16-bf20-444c-92bb-beba12187b20

Backer Exclusive Terrain Vehicle

Also only available during the Fig campaign, the backer exclusive Terrain Vehicle (TV) will have a different look from the standard TV that is included in the game at launch. And just like its Backer Exclusive Starship momma it too will have a couple perks available from the start to help in the early game.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F07%2F51688daa-99b5-446a-bda3-473dd446cbbb

Backer Exclusive Digital Treasure Map

What could be more helpful when starting a new space epic than being told a couple locations to head toward (or avoid)? Well, a treasure map of course! This add-on will give you more than just a point in the right direction towards something… something good.

Randy Pitchford Talks Starflight
Back when we were really getting serious about making a new Starflight we got a chance to catch up with Randy Pitchford, CEO of Gearbox. He’s one of our biggest supporters and one heck of a Starflight fan! Here he is talking about what Starflight meant for him and how it inspired him to pursue his video game career!

As always we’ve got more fun updates coming your way so keep an eye out later this week! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram(@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

Irata

Scholar
Too bad. The original games are probably too old to appeal to most of the people who make up the nostalgic audience.
I don't get why they think fans of (the hackneyed crook) Pitchford would support a game that is nothing like the games he makes though. I guess it gets headlines, but it doesn't look like he has that much influence with his audience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They don't really have a lot to say about this game.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/793

Greg’s Reddit AMA (http://bit.ly/gregAMA)! Limited Run Fulfilling Box Copies!
POSTED: 09/11/2018
Join our AMA This Thursday!

UPDATE: Our AMA is live NOW! Join here: http://bit.ly/gregAMA

This Thursday, September 13th at 11AM Pacific, Greg will be doing an AMA on Reddit! Got some burning Starflight questions that have haunted you since childhood? Want some sort of hint to Starflight 3’s story? Curious about whatever happened to the Red Herring? This Thursday is your time!

Partnering with Limited Run for the Big Box!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F11%2F99d1577d-3073-4f8b-8169-a314fb50d2b9

The fine folks at Limited Run sure do make a purty game box. They know it. We know it. You know it. SO! We decided to partner with them to make our boxed copy of Starflight 3! We know that a lot of you are curious as to what will be inside but we won’t finalize that for awhile! For now rest assured it’ll be in a box, a big box, and it will be jam-packed with goodies that will melt your face!

The box copy is available at the Explorer backer level and above. So if you want a physical box copy be sure to update your pledge. We’ve also made it an extra that you can tack onto your existing pledge!

Planet Approach Concept

Last week we showed what the bridge of a Tandelou ship might look like. But what about a ship itself as it’s on approach to a planet? This week shows off one of our favorite concepts for that very idea!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F10%2F07fd1c9d-fbfb-4e20-b446-c21259ab4e33

As always we’ve got more fun updates coming your way so keep an eye out later this week! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram(@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3/updates/798

AMA Huge Success! Design Insights
POSTED: 09/14/2018
Yesterday we had a blast hosting a Reddit AMA where anyone could ask Greg whatever they wanted! With over 600 comments we had our work cut out for us! Greg stuck around until about 1AM answering all the questions he could!

Greg Answered a LOT in Our Reddit AMA
Science in Starflight 3
https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F14%2Fe2878b50-f591-4ca9-b08f-fee1af169838

A lot of folks commented that humans’ understanding of the cosmos, exoplanets and the universe in general has grown by leaps and bounds since the original Starflight games released. So it begs the question will we incorporate these new findings in Starflight 3? Here’s Greg’s answer:

OH yeah! Capital SCIENCE Capital FICTION. When it comes to the ecosystems and planetary recommendations especially we're definitely gonna use the latest and greatest Scientific research we can find! For example the question of "What makes a planet more likely to support life or sentient life" has been heavily researched in the years since the original Starflight games. And we want to let players come away with a feeling like they've learned some science.

The Ship Crew

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F14%2F50f39d90-2c05-4ee9-85ab-5c7e3ca7f8cb

People can see right away when playing the original Starflight games aspects to them that were signs of the times. For example, the crew members didn’t have a lot of personality because that was a lot to fit onto a couple floppies! Greg had a good answer for this too:

We see an opportunity to represent your crew as characters with personality and relationships with each other and with you, the captain.In Starflight 1 there were no individual characters and you're right this was due in large part to limitations of the time. We'd like to do more storytelling with interesting characters. We have a lot of exploration to do to find the right balance between the style of the original game and modern games. Not sure yet where the sweet spot will be!

The Story

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F14%2Fcfa3a55c-4216-48b7-a791-3810cd59cc6d

The story is written! And it’s probably the most closely guarded secret on the team. So understandably people are curious about every aspect of it but in particular if it will connect to Starflight 1 and 2. Here’s Greg’s answer on it:

We see an opportunity to represent your crew as characters with personality and relationships with each other and with you, the captain.I don't wanna give away TOO much but the story for Starflight 3 isn't a direct sequel to the previous games. There will definitely be some of the same alien races from the original games but Starflight 3 will take place in a whole new part of the Universe! And the story of Starflight 3 is bigger and deeper than ALL the previous games!

Summary Game Focus

When talking about a game that is in pre-production such as Starflight 3 we can see bits and pieces of where we think the game will take us but really we’re focusing on what could be done and the possibilities for the game. Greg sums this up perfectly too:

At this stage we don't have design decisions yet, what we do have are design concepts and possibilities from a lot of brainstorming. We're still sorting through all these ideas. What I know at this stage is that Starflight 3 needs to capture the spirit of Starflight 1 and 2, that's different from the mechanics. I'm particularly interested in and excited by the aspect of interactive Science Fiction and alien cultures and perspectives. My hope is that this new game can challenge players to step outside of the assumptions that we make and ask questions about meaning and existence. And I hope we can do it with humor and the same light spirit that characterized Starflight 1 and 2.
That’s a pretty great way to look at a game, heck that’s a great way to look at most things!

If you want to see the full AMA head over here!

Veloxi Concept

Ah who can forget the Veloxi. Friend? Foe? Pain in the… well you get the idea. Here’s a concept piece we’re working on for what a Veloxi’s armor might look like! Enjoy!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2018%2F09%2F14%2F41ed11d1-3eec-4c0d-a4de-e6c9b03a1e16

As always we’ve got more fun updates coming your way so keep an eye out! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom