Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's new game "Elemental: War of Magic"

Ruprekt

Scholar
I agree. AoW is better for the campaign, it's closer to HoMM than MoM.

Mortmal

Arcane
oldmanpaco said:
Did you guys see this? Think the next Fall from Heaven will be an Elemental expansion?

Ah , very good news, it couldnt be in better hands.I played fall from heaven for hours, its so much more fun than elemental.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oldmanpaco said:
Did you guys see this? Think the next Fall from Heaven will be an Elemental expansion?

Pretty interesting and there was a great thing he said at the end:
But more importantly I'm excited to work with a company that isn't satisfied to release a game that they aren't 100% happy with.
:smug:

Destroid

Arcane
I guess they were unsatisfied and thus are trying to fix it. Being self published I imagine they have much stricter cash flow deadlines.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tycn said:
So it's been 3 months, is the game somewhat fixed now?

Seems to be. Depends on how 'fixed' you mean. It doesn't fuck up all the time but you get the feeling that they've stalled a bit and are just waiting for the expansion to really fix the AI and the major gripes. It's pleasant enough to pass the time if you don't expect too much(I play it mainly to get used to the interface and test out tactics, spells etc. until it's properly patched).

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Tycn said:
So it's been 3 months, is the game somewhat fixed now?

The 1.1 patch is in open beta right now, it's definitely rough around the edges but it's a vast improvement to the game. Some of the more retarded/lame aspects of the game have been addressed. Once they get all the bugs and display issues sorted out and the patch goes live, I think Elemental will be a pretty good game. It'll still take much more work to make the game great or even 'very good', but the game is finally headed in the right direction. But it's actually pretty fun right now, for the first time.

Stardock is releasing a demo when 1.1 goes live, so I think they're going to make sure the game is presentable before 1.1 hits. Then again, that's what I thought was going to happen at release...

YourConscience

Scholar
As far as I understand from the dev journals, Brad has only really started on writing the AI proper, because he didn't have time before. So at best what we'll be get in 1.1 is probably an AI that at least will be able to build up an empire, but not an AI capable of sustain any credible plan of attack or sth.

I think the AI will be fixed in the next major patch at the earliest.

Anyway, apart from that, what Derek is changing now makes an awful lot of sense and give him a couple of more months and the game will really start to shine.

YourConscience

Scholar
Tycn said:
Thanks for the info. I suppose I will wait a few months and see if it's worth buying then.

In fact, by buying it later you will contribute to a statistic that might, if large enough, help to support those voices in companies that try to push for longer support of released games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Version 1.0 was unplayable mediocre game
Version 1.9 is playable mediocre game

Unfortunately I did buy it as well. Let's face the truth - this game is just not good. No reason to force yourselves to like it when it's... well... mediocre.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Stardock has been cranking out more beta patches, almost on a daily basis this week. There have been a lot of improvements in the last two weeks or so, especially with the AI. I played a few games this week and noticed a big difference. Aggressive AI's will ask for tribute from smaller nations, they'll pursue resources, and they'll try to cut off your expansion without always starting a war.

Might be worth checking out if you still have the game installed to your HD.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What about, you know, boring gameplay? They added some special abilities for units, attack and armor types, interesting spells, you know all we had in AoW? Because fixing bugs isnt nearly enough...

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Malakal said:
What about, you know, boring gameplay? They added some special abilities for units, attack and armor types, interesting spells, you know all we had in AoW? Because fixing bugs isnt nearly enough...

The magic system has been almost entirely redone. A lot of the lamer spells were axed and there are plenty of new (better) ones. They also went to a global mana system which is much more functional. Kael is doing a good job with this so far. It still needs balance and tweaking, offensive magic feels really weak. There is also some pretty cool new art in the spell book.

The interface has been improved, too. I never had performance issues, but a lot of people seem to be running the game better.

I agree that special abilities are sorely needed. They exist, but they seem to be randomly assigned to champions and are overall retarded. There are still a lot of display bugs. This is just a beta of the 1.1 patch (just a later build than the initial beta), but I think this game is a diamond in the rough. It still needs a lot of work, but it's getting better every week.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Your post is incredibly wrong. It's a mediocre game in the rough. A turd in the rough, if you will.

Nothing about my post is wrong, but you're free to disagree with my opinion on the game's potential. It's certainly mediocre right now. A lot of the aspects of gameplay are underdeveloped or just flat-out bad. But there are also a lot of cool ideas in the game. I think Kael is going to turn it around, it's just a matter of 'when'.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, perhaps after I get bored with my Warband game, and after that finish Wiz8, NV and SC2, Elemental might just be far enough along to give it a try...

Mortmal

Arcane
20 Eyes said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Your post is incredibly wrong. It's a mediocre game in the rough. A turd in the rough, if you will.

Nothing about my post is wrong, but you're free to disagree with my opinion on the game's potential. It's certainly mediocre right now. A lot of the aspects of gameplay are underdeveloped or just flat-out bad. But there are also a lot of cool ideas in the game. I think Kael is going to turn it around, it's just a matter of 'when'.

I just installed 1.1 patch ,played the game around 1 hour and already won that on challenging level, i checked to be sure, every IA difficulty was set. I have not been challenged once, not once by the IA, no troop invasion not even a skirmirsh.
They certainly changed a lot of things, they revamped completely the spell tree , removed useless spells altough the previous strategy still works, get a nuke , get an elemental summon, win, no point using anything elseunless for personal taste maybe .
I have not even researched much tech and stomped everyone without a sweat i diddnt even bother to improve my troops, just a few peasants in the city to get a high defense number so wandering monsters dont attack.

I appreciate the way they handle wandering monsters now they can gather up in a army before attempting to attack, in fact they are more a problem than any enemies civs as they do attack your city if they feel stronger, i suspect they completely hindered the enemy civs at the beggining, and thats why i never saw anyone coming.

I cant still call that a diamond in rough, theres improvements for sure, its somewhat fun , it doesnt take long to compute turns,unlike civ 5, but balance is out of whack. Challenge is not there, at least for me.
Ill try in multi, maybe elemental is only good with living players.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The trouble is he is lacking in the artistic department. In addition is isn't a crazy person with knowledge of several thousand of completely unrelated books, and he don't know people who would do stuff properly.

Basically he is missing rather important knowledge from Social antrophology. History of Pacific isles, and few other stuffs.

Do you know what specie is Cirno?

Basically it's not only about what he adds, it's about what he will not add. Throwing everything into one pot doesn't work well.

What worked well was mana available separately for each character. He removed it on popular demand. So it looks like he has no long term concepts throwing things in just at random, or worse on recommendation on shortsighted forum posters. If Avernum/Geneforge would be done like that Jeff Vogel would be out of business already.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The 1.1 patch is out.

Patchnotes at: http://forums.elementalgame.com/402305

:what:

CRIPES! That's a long list!

Like many of my fellow codexian suckers, I got this game back when it was in beta on blind optimism after GalCiv and SoaSE. Looking at these notes, it looks like enough core mechanics have been redone it might actually be an interesting game now. Will patch and try it out I guess... Probably won't have time befor enext week though. Does anyone have any insight to add?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I will wait until the first addon at least and then buy a 'gold' version. Most of the problems should be resolved by then. It was the same with Galactic Civilizations.

Ulminati said:
The 1.1 patch is out.

Patchnotes at: http://forums.elementalgame.com/402305

:what:

CRIPES! That's a long list!

Like many of my fellow codexian suckers, I got this game back when it was in beta on blind optimism after GalCiv and SoaSE. Looking at these notes, it looks like enough core mechanics have been redone it might actually be an interesting game now. Will patch and try it out I guess... Probably won't have time befor enext week though. Does anyone have any insight to add?

I'll put some time into it this weekend if I can find time to take a break from EU. Still, my hopes are not up. I've turned into a jaded little panda bear.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Did anyone get the not-removed-from-inventory version to work with the 1.10 update? It displays the loading splash screen then hangs for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom