Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's new game "Elemental: War of Magic"

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Another point I want to criticize:

Who the hell was repsonsible for those blurry, awful graphics? In a strategy game I want clear, precise graphics so I can tell units and map features easily apart. This cell-shaded abomination is so far from any redemption, sad.

Zeus

Cipher
The graphics improved once I disabled an option called something like "volumetric light" or "environmental light" or something. It made everything look a lot less blurry, bloomed and golden-brown. Now the seas are turquoise and it looks a bit more like the vibrant VGA games from the 90s.

Bromancer

Educated
I tried the game with the 1.07 patch a few days ago, and was still pretty disappointed. It had a lot of promise, and honestly I'm just surprised at how... pre-alpha... everything is.

Also, it still chugged like a drunken hobo despite the "optimizations" they introduced with the patch.

I really wanted to like this game.

Bromancer

Educated
Well, to be fair, I didn't remove it from inventory. I guess the fact that they didn't put out the demo when they claimed they would should have been a hint. I was originally planning on actually buying it if the "demo" proved interesting. For real.

They just released 1.08. Runs fine on my computer, but I'll be waiting for 1.1 before I attempt to seriously play the game.

Mortmal

Arcane
Tried 1.08 too, havent tried the previous build as i was a bit disgusted, but now it seems they rebalance things a bit, and the IA is a bit more active. Its not yet at the level i expected but its honest.Now the shards matters more are rare and give huge spell damage benefits. Its on good way.
Off course waiting for 1.1 and the overhaul mght be the wisest decision still.

Zeus

Cipher
I'm updating to the latest 1.08 now. Haven't updated since 1.05 because I didn't want to lose my 1.00 saves, so this should be interesting. I hear if you disable the black lines, it improves performance and makes it look more like a painting.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Takeda Kenshi said:
Apparently they have already updated the updated. 1.08->1.0836

Those fuckers work fast.

Guys like it matters HOW they name their updates. What was changed is important. Game could be 7.867 and still shit.

Zeus

Cipher
So yeah, just to followup:

1.05 was like a broken beta that moved at about 5fps unless cloth map mode was on.

1.08 is like... a game. :o

If you're holding onto 1.05 due to save file incompatibility, just finish your damn game and update already. Difference is night and day. I can zoom in with my mousewheel and spin around like I'm making doughnuts in a parking lot, and my 7 year old rig doesn't even begin to smoke.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Just played half a game with 1.08. For a while I actually enjoyed it! Now I want to see some major changes to combat and to the interface.

Mortmal

Arcane
Zed said:
Just played half a game with 1.08. For a while I actually enjoyed it! Now I want to see some major changes to combat and to the interface.
Me too, then i launched Age of wonders : shadow magic and cried.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Which Age of Wonder is the best one? Is it Shadow Magic?

Mortmal

Arcane
Zed said:
Its shadow magic yes, you can skip the others you wont miss much on the plot , not their strong point.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mortmal said:
Zed said:
Its shadow magic yes, you can skip the others you wont miss much on the plot , not their strong point.

Shadow Magic is the best but dont miss out on the first game since it has quite enjoyable sp campaign.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I did play AoW2 campaign and while generic and not really fascinating it did manage to keep me to the end. Cant say the say about SM but perhaps thats because Im older now and less tolerant to bad writing.

Zeus

Cipher
The creator says that Age of Wonders 1 is his personal favorite. It seems to be the most unique, with later games trying to be more like Master of Magic with each iteration.

Not that that's a bad thing. :smug:

But still, in AoW, a city battle is a huge, sprawling affair, with buildings you creep past and hide behind like you're playing X-Com or something. in AoW II it seems more abstracted, like MoM, with the walled enemy cities taking up a small portion of the battlefield.

Plus, it has a mod music soundtrack, and that's hard to beat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom