Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's new game "Elemental: War of Magic"

Multi-headed Cow

And they're particularly annoyed in this case since Brad "Idiotstick" Wardell hyped the game up as the "Spiritual successor" to MoM, then made a game that was by all accounts worse than AoW:SM for being MoM-esque and arguably bad even if you don't expect MoM from it.

Multi-headed Cow

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65443

Hahaha. "GUYS, THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE AND IT'S ALL MY FAULT. I WAS BLIND. I'M SORRY" *Fires his employees and leans back*
Do feel sorry for those people losing their jobs since presumably it's not entirely their fault Stardock is such a fuckup, but man. I am distressingly pleased about Wardell getting fucked by this.

Also for you AoWSM players, might wanna try these.
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... fileid=612
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... fileid=661
Bumbled into them ages ago and never got a wild hair up my ass to try them so I'm not sure if they'd improve the AI any, but they both looked promising. There was also a surprisingly good LotR mod for AoWSM if I remember correctly, with unique world map and events.

Tycn

Savant
He's firing the employees which would have made up the second dev team had their launch been successful. Given his commitment to spending the next year to fix Elemental it seems the logical choice.

Multi-headed Cow

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/04/eleme ... k-layoffs/

"The "consequences" of Elemental's "disastrous" launch were swift as Stardock CEO Brad Wardell has confirmed layoffs at the company. ShackNews reported yesterday that those let go included developers, designers, and salespeople working on Elemental."

And then more info on how he's a lying shithead by saying they didn't push the game out the door for money.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Talent concentrated!
photo.jpg

Frogboy wrote:
$5 million? I would love to have that kind of money to do a game.
Elemental's budget is about half that and that includes the cost of developing its custom 3D engine.

IMMA A CEO OF A 20+ MIO COMPANY!
I am a CEO of a 17,5 Mio company...

Who buys his WindowsBlinds stuff? I tried it once... never again...

As a gamer, I like most games. I love Bioshock. I think the Orange Box is one of the best gaming deals ever. I love Company of Heroes and Oblivion was captivating.

Its so clear now!

Mortmal

Arcane
The other game that was canned is a rpg ? where did you get that info?

Multi-headed Cow

BethesdaLove said:
Talent concentrated!
photo.jpg
There have been noises that the massive fuckup of Demigod's multiplayer (Beyond any balance/design issues) were from Stardock. Which might be why Demigod was Impulse exclusive, and Supreme Commander 2 used glorious Steamworks. :M

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think that we all agree what needs to be done: DOWN WITH STARDOCK! THE OPRESSORS MUST DIE!

Meh, quite seriously they lost my attention.

Ruprekt said:
Is Elemental a disaster because it's trying something new?

Or did Stardock just somehow manage to fail at making a fantasy civ clone.

No, it's a disaster because it's an unbalanced, unfinished, buggy mess. Heroes are next to useless, the tactical combat is bad, the magic system is useless/broken (there are odd modifiers on the magic spells, for instance). It's like too much of the math is hidden, so you don't know how effective something is going to be. At it's core it's trying to be Civ+Magic=Fun but it's not succeeding in any of the parts.

The game doesn't just need a little patching to make playable, it needs an overhaul. I suppose it's possible that it will one day be a good game, but at the moment, it's shit.

Zeus

Cipher
I think the problem is at this point, it's a bit too balanced. All the spell paths seem to provide the same effects, with fire being no better at direct damage than air.

Master of Magic was famously imbalanced, and that was half the fun. Master of Orion didn't worry about nerfing all the races until they were arbitrarily "equal" or anything.

So yeah, I'd like to see a lot more chaos thrown into the mix, rather than the current state of, "What color would you like your area effect damage spell, green red or blue?"

Anyway, I'm off to try and teach myself how to play Fall From Heaven 2. It should be fun, considering I have almost no experience with Civ IV.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ruprekt said:
commie said:
YourConscience said:
coldcrow said:
AoW:SM with a competetive AI would be great...

This.

If only someone would manage to teach the AI to at least found cities!

Isn't there a mod for this? I remember reading about on this very site!

:M

fuck off with the bird :P What you posted isn't the one I meant.

Mortmal

Arcane
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Fuck this, I'm asking for a refund. This game isn't going to get better.
if you manage to get a refund that late after release tell me , i am really scared too and may ask for one as well. That guy just fired a whole team now but hes watching kiddie comics and is thinking to model his game from it...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom