Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardock's last chance... Elemental: Fallen Enchantress released

sser

Arcane
Developer
No offense, sser, but you already wrote that you think FE sucks. Clearly, it's not a game for you. Based on its reviews and sales (and continued strong sales) I feel comfortable saying that a lot of people like FE.

Ha. I'll play any strategy game under the sun, it is by far my favorite genre. And, as you probably noticed, this is an RPG forum -- my other favorite genre. A combination of the two isn't for me? I beg to differ.

FE has serious, systemic issues that "sharpening shadows" doesn't even begin to fix.

Of course, you wouldn't know this based on how you approach others.

This was from the beta, after Stardock polled the community's thoughts.

Wardell said:
I hope you understand that our focus is going to be on the people who voted Fair or above. Someone who thinks Beta 2 is “poor” is likely looking for something so different than what we are envisioning that there’s not a lot of incentive to put resources to winning them over.

You are not really responding to what people are saying here (literally parroting a talking point). You accept criticisms, but that's it. Anybody can nod their damn heard, can't they? The lack of discussion is genuinely silly, only trumped by constantly bringing up Elven Legacy --> Warlock relationship, as if that either weakens Warlock as a game, or strengthens FE (note: it does neither; it is completely irrelevant). And do you really think gamers are interested in Stardock's bank account? I could care less about how "well" FE sells; I just want it to be a good game. The fact this is even in the discussion is rather disconcerting.

FE plays like a game that was developed by five different groups of people. I'm reminded of the recent (and IMO, poor) Deus Ex game, where boss battles had this "interrupting" effect on the game. Why? Because they were developed by another company entirely. So with FE, you have all these systems -- civilization, magic, heroes, items, customization, etc. -- but they don't particularly play well together. It's definitely a thick alphabet soup of game features, but they ain't spelling anything. This is why I keep referring to Warlock, which has similar properties, but keeps itself focused and to the point. Nothing in Warlock seems out of place; half the game of FE can seem out of place just by how you play it. And when you try to play with all the features at once -- mixing heroes, magic, warfare, civilization -- the game quickly becomes muddled.

I'm not saying FE sucks because it's an inherently bad game. I'm saying it sucks because it doesn't have that fluid accessibility and playability of its peers. There is a good game in FE, but it isn't to be found because all the gameplay mechanics keep burying one another like crabs in a bucket.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
No you don't. You could give your ol' pal Multi-headed Cow your Steam key!
I dunno how it will work. I was getting the previous stuff through Stardock's platform but they've sold that to gamespot or something. I doubt I'll be getting a steam key.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Brad should just give us all free Steam keys because we're just that supportive~

Frogboy

Stardock
Developer
FE plays like a game that was developed by five different groups of people. I'm reminded of the recent (and IMO, poor) Deus Ex game, where boss battles had this "interrupting" effect on the game. Why? Because they were developed by another company entirely. So with FE, you have all these systems -- civilization, magic, heroes, items, customization, etc. -- but they don't particularly play well together. It's definitely a thick alphabet soup of game features, but they ain't spelling anything. This is why I keep referring to Warlock, which has similar properties, but keeps itself focused and to the point. Nothing in Warlock seems out of place; half the game of FE can seem out of place just by how you play it. And when you try to play with all the features at once -- mixing heroes, magic, warfare, civilization -- the game quickly becomes muddled.

I agree with everything you wrote except the part about Warlock/Fantasy General - and only because we're not on the same page there.

My point about Warlock was that they were smart in developing a series of games that built upon each other bit by bit instead of trying to, all at once, creating some massive thing from scratch. Game design is about iterations. Finding out what works and doesn't work. We should have done what they did and build up bit by bit.

And that manifests itself because FE plays like a half dozen barely connected games that results in a muddled experience.

One of the goals in LH is to begin tying it all back to your civilization. So that magic, heroes, quests, etc. are about enhancing the civilization you're building rather than feeling like a bunch of distinct parts.

Does that make things any clearer?

Multi-headed Cow

No you don't. You could give your ol' pal Multi-headed Cow your Steam key!
I dunno how it will work. I was getting the previous stuff through Stardock's platform but they've sold that to gamespot or something. I doubt I'll be getting a steam key.
Yep, you will be. "Players who bought War of Magic before November of 2010 get Legendary Heroes as part of their original purchase! You don’t have to sign up. It’ll automatically be added to your Stardock account and a Steam serial number will be sent to you to get it when it’s available!"

Is the game any good?
Kritical kodex konsensus is generally shit to tolerable. Don't think anyone here has gone as far as to call it good.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats pretty much it,i find it average. I just fired it again to try the latest updates, i quickly smashed a neighbor living too close, oddly he keeps throwing at me his emperor + settler mutiple times rather than entrenching and buildng a decent army. Now maybe its cause i attacked him too early and caught him pants down. The next opponent i found did build siginifcant armies.
So theres still the same issues as usual, many turns twiddling thumbs waiting on the building queue, producing generic troops, killing the waves of armies he send me until i can move forward.
Theres not much surprise , i am sure to win ,thats the problem , repetitive waves of the same troops to redo each time as autoresolve fails them . A few stilized and unique armies with faster building time would have done better than the customizable system we have right now .

The game is probably not the soulless abomination we make it look like remember that people are really negative because of the elemental debacle, it was announced as the savior, it had fantastic press reviews, people may not have given a fair trial to FE . Try it if 30 euros is nothing for you, else you should get in order, master of magic,Dominons 3, fall from heaven for civ 4, age of wonders and eador first for almost nothing at GOG. The next expansion obviously go in the right direction as far as i can see on screenshots, it certainly looks a bit more sharp and colorful and champions traits are a nice addition. Not sure if this will be enough to win everyone although.

Misconnected

Savant
Just got an 85 from PC Gamer.

Probably lucky he didn't have to move any units across a tile that'd been razed. Or that some critter spawn didn't salt the earth of his capital. Or that he didn't notice how his closest rival's score got halved when he ate 10 idle settler stacks, or...

Point I'm getting at is that the review clearly wasn't based on extensive play experience. But I'll grant you that FE, in some strange way I can't quite put my finger on, is a far better game than it should be. I mean, the AI is fucking horrible. It's crawling with bugs. The tech trees are a total clusterfuck. Both magic and graphics are boring. And most of the various elements of the game barely feed into each other. Any reasonably objective description of FE should make it sound like one of the worst 4X games to ever see the light of day. But it's actually not that bad. If it was, I wouldn't have sunk a shitload of hours into it.

Frogboy I know you're not really basic principles kind of guy. I know, because I've been playing your games for ages, and if there's one thing SD games always have, it's completely screwy, nonsensical, unintuitive systems full of overly complicated calculations.

But if you're serious about iterating on FE, that's where you should start. It's the first problem. The one that was a problem before anyone even thought about writing the code.

The parts of the rule system that players interface with can only use simple addition and subtraction. Operations have to be the same across the board. They can only involve low, whole numbers.

Endless Space is a fairly good, recent example that isn't one of your games. In most ways a player might want to think about FIDS, the operations involved are so simple that the player doesn't have to spend any time trying to work out exact results. The glaring exception is population growth. If pop growth in ES was a short term strategic factor, players would have to wiki how the fuck it works, and most of them would need a calculator to figure out the concrete pros and cons of utilising the mechanic in a given situation.

SD game systems are like population growth in ES. Huge chunks are so fucking arcane that players can't use them beyond "more of this is probably better, though I couldn't say how much better and certainly not whether it'd be better than more of one of these other things."

Having assloads of discrete elements in a system is no problem, as long as the operations involved are consistent and simple. Human beings are brilliant at keeping track of insane amounts of simple things. Your games appear to be built with the opposite in mind. They use few discrete elements & complex operations. And I'm guessing that's a very large part of the explanation for things like GalCiv2's economy - not only do the human players struggle and fail to predict outcomes, the human developers do too.

10, +1, +1, +1, +1, -1, +1, -1, +1 is good.

173.82*0.2 -1.32% +0.71(platypus?) isn't bad. It's simply wrong.

Elegant mathematics and elegant game systems are each other's exact opposites. Please, please understand this some day.

Synergies are the building blocks of 4X strategies, and in the context of such games, a synergy is when an element not directly or primarily related to a (potentially meta-) property, reinforces that property. For example, building a farm or picking the fertility racial traits are not population synergies in GalCiv2. But taxes & just about every tech that reinforces happiness are.

As is, FE doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of potential synergies to exploit, and despite a pile of mostly separate tech trees and magic types, it appears that nobody has considered that the fact these are mostly separate things makes them ideally suitable for strings of identical synergies.

Which, to me, isn't just weird in the "how could you possibly make a 4X and not do this", but also in the "GalCiv2 was fucking stuffed full of exactly this... It's what makes the game so damn good... What the hell happened?"

If synergies are the building blocks of 4X strategies, counters are what glues them together. In 4X games, counters are a tad more complicated than in general. 4X games don't just need immediate counters like most strategy games. They also need not-quite-so-immediate counters, and match length counters.

FE does have immediate counters; the different weapon and armour techs. They're not as effective counters - AKA hard - as they should be, but that's a relatively minor problem. The big problem is that they're not equally accessible. And counters always have to be. That's the entire point of having them.

GalCiv2 used counters to great effect. The weapon techs were equally accessible - lasers didn't cost 5 times as much as missiles, and neither were tied to other techs you might or might not want to pursue in a given match. More, each successive unlock in a given type of weapon or armour, were a soft counter to the previous level's hard counter.
The result was that even in situations were 1 enemy were countering your offensive tech, it still frequently made sense to refine your existing offensive tech, rather than adopt the hard counter to that 1 enemy's defensive tech. And thus GalCiv2's immediate counters were also intermediate and match length counters, and were both hard and soft counters. Elegant as fuck, really.

Of course, it had many, many more. Just like the tech trees were full of separate tech strings that reinforced properties not directly related to the primary purpose of the individual techs, they were also full of techs that countered enemy empires in various ways. Though of course, some were kind of broken (can you say diplomacy? :D )

Being kind of ranty & preachy here, and I'm not saying anything that numerous people (myself included) haven't already said to you at your own forums a great many times over the years... So I'll stop now.

Frogboy

Stardock
Developer
Good feedback. I'll send it to Derek. I don't generally do game design because I don't like it. I did GalCiv II because we didn't have anyone. With WOM, it was (and it's kind of obvious) a design by committee thing. My "contribution" was to say "Make it like Master of Magic but with unit design and multiplayer."

With FE, we brought in Kael who has done a really good job.

Plus you must admit, FE does have a lot of additive game mechancs to it. The tool tips literally spell out how you get to a number. The values are about as straight forward as you can get while keeping some reasonable level of sophistication:

Diplomacy:
2013-02-07_1141.png

Weapons:
2013-02-07_1143.png

City research:

2013-02-07_1144.png

Unit initiative:
2013-02-07_1149.png

I agree WOM was full of wonky stuff (and GalCiv certainly was). But Kael did a really good job with FE's mechanics being very straight forward yet rich.

So I'm not sure what kind of screwy mechanics you mean in FE. If you're talking about having improvements provide a % improvement rather than strictly addictive, then I strongly disagree that that's a good idea. I very much support the concept of having Root benefits and the benefit multipliers. That's a pretty basic game design concept that goes all the way back to before Civ 1.

Misconnected

Savant
With FE, we brought in Kael who has done a really good job.

A good job of sewing the pieces of WoM together in some semblance of a playable game? Certainly.

A good job of making a good 4X in the context of the wider genre? Not so much.

Plus you must admit, FE does have a lot of additive game mechanics to it. The tool tips literally spell out how you get to a number. The values are about as straight forward as you can get while keeping some reasonable level of sophistication:

A lot compared to what? More importantly, "a lot" doesn't cut it. The magic system isn't 50 kinds of broken because it uses "a lot" of additive mechanics. It's 50 kinds of broken because it also uses multipliers with the predictable result that:

1. Players (and evidently developers too) don't understand the exact nature of the choices they make.
2. However balanced* the additive side of the mechanics are, that balance is gleefully defenestrated by the multipliers.

*Take a look at the +5dmg/lvl Sundering spell for an example of truly craptastic balance. 3 level 15+ heroes can insta-kill everything up to and including world bosses on the first turn if they have that spell and the next-to-no mana it costs to cast it (pretty sure it's not just most powerful direct damage spell, but also the cheapest).

But Kael did a really good job with FE's mechanics being very straight forward yet rich.

No. At most he did half a good job.

If memory serves, the single most criticised mechanic during the WoM beta, was the Rnd+Att-Def=Dmg mechanic. People even explained why they thought it was problematic; because due to the wider system mechanics, Att and Def values have to have a very high range, which inevitably creates really screwy damage outputs when a wide selection of different units start fighting - as they are meant to do in WoM & FE.

It's never been addressed, and it remains one of the great weaknesses of Elemental.

I believe the most frequently suggested alternative, was to de-couple the to-hit and to-damage mechanics. If so, that's not terribly surprising. Because it's how other games go about it. Even games where actual damage done it more or less dependent on the success of the to-hit event, generally treat it as 2 separate events instead of 1 event.

The 2 event approach has a couple of other significant advantages: it conforms to player expectations so you don't have to try to teach anyone how it works, and it lets you modify two events instead of just one so you've just made it twice as interesting to play with.

But whatever. The big-huge issue is, as mentioned, the range of the values involved. And that's kind of a theme in WoM & FE. It's much, much too easy to increase the various values, and then explode them into game-wreck-land with multipliers. Creating heroes with 30+ initiv, 30+ Defence, 100+ mastery, 50+ dmg AoE and -50% mana cost is so easy you don't even have to try. And just one such hero can nuke every basic unit type in the game in 1 hit.

In my last game I had a stack with 3 heroes running around, each of whose cheapest (non-Sundering) direct damage spell did 130+ damage, and all of who had Mastery way in excess of 100. At that point the match was decided, because although the match wasn't even at what should have been the half way point, I'd effectively become all-powerful (what's it, like 10'ish turns to beat the World Quest thingy assuming no handy roads for running back & forth between?).

Getting a pair of heroes (or more) up to level KiLL EVERYTHING! while generating 50+ essence/turn is very quick and not very dependent on how much pressure you're put under by your rivals (not that they're any good at putting pressure on you), and once you get there, nothing can prevent you from achieving Conquest or World Quest victory.

- Understand that this isn't the same as saying, for example, that Baldur's Gate suxx because I can exploit area transitions to take down the toughest bastards in the game with a level 1 wizard. In FE I'm not exploiting any kind of technical limitations or bugs. I'm playing the game exactly as it is designed to be played. The problem isn't that the game can be broken by a creative player, but that its natural state is utter brokenness.

So I'm not sure what kind of screwy mechanics you mean in FE. If you're talking about having improvements provide a % improvement rather than strictly addictive, then I strongly disagree that that's a good idea. I very much support the concept of having Root benefits and the benefit multipliers. That's a pretty basic game design concept that goes all the way back to before Civ 1.

If you really, really must have your fucking multipliers, you need to start thinking about them seriously.

1. It's very, very difficult to design a system that has stacking multipliers, and simultaneously avoid that those stacking multipliers become all-important.

2. The affected values must be designed to handle multipliers. For example, if the range of a value has 100 increments - say 1-100 damage - a 10% multiplier is worth 0 at the low end and worth 10 at the high end. More, it breaks the range of the value, exploding it from 100 increments to 110 increments.

Captain Obvious stuff, I know. But evidently you guys don't know. Or at least, the mechanics in WoM and FE demonstrate no such understanding. Don't believe me? Ask youself what the 6 best Hero ulocks are. The answer is the Potential & Trainer unlocks - that's XP multipliers, in case you didn't know. The next Top 20'ish unlocks are also multipliers of various kinds, and that's in a system where Initiative are so incredibly overpowered it's flat out silly.

Screwy mechanics & lack of straightforwardness...

FE has several instances of multipliers affecting multiple variable values. Empire-wide multipliers to resource generation, for example. Whatever you might want to call it, straightforward it isn't. Is it a direct multiplier on each city? On combined output of all cities? How does it stack with similar modifiers - are they added together and then applied, or do each one get applied in succession?
As is typically the case in FE, trying to understand exactly what's happening is not any kind of entertainment. It is WORK.

That something is "basic" doesn't make it good. Of course, just because something is an impenetrable, ungainly mess, doesn't necessarily make it bad either. GalCiv2's system design if fucking awful, but mostly solid. The notable exception is that the economy multipliers explodes the economy to the extent that the economy mechanics basically break down. If you understand how GalCiv2's economy mechanics work it becomes very quick and easy to set yourself up with functionally infinite monies. But the rest of the system, despite being a similarly awkward clusterfuck of mechanics, mostly works acceptably.

In FE, just about everything is like GalCiv2's economy; the entire system is a fucking mess, and pretty much every element you care to single out, can not only be exploited to a game breaking degree, they're mostly can't avoid exploding out into game-wreck-land. I don't need to "power-game" a particular sub-set of the system for it to break out of step with the rest of the system, the tiniest bit of focus on any one particular sub-set of the mechanics causes system-wrecking imbalance.

As for diplomacy, why no tooltips explaining exactly why those modifiers apply? From your example:

"I want what you have" & "You're too far away to worry about" seem contradictory. As do "You're dominating me" & "You're beneath me". And "You're beneath us" & "We have the same allegiance". And "We're at war" & "You're too far away to worry about"...

The modifiers themselves are plain as day, but how a player might actually play with them is clear as a moonless night in an unlit basement full of tar.

Absinthe

Arcane
One of you guys needs to go and review Fallen Enchantress for Tacticular Cancer already so the rest of us can know wtf is going on.

is he gonna sexually harass us
afraid_frightened_scared_smiley_emoticon1.gif
Eh, I might as well put some context out there. There's a Kotaku article on this, mostly good for the formal complaint and defendant's motion for summary dismissal listed there. (PS: Brad, some of your employees' phone numbers are listed there, so if anyone still has those numbers, it's a good idea to change 'em.)

Anyway, the gist of the story is that Alexandra Miseta wanted more money (then income: $55k/yr). She moonlighted to make more money, left because she felt she wasn't being paid enough and found a better paying job ($60k), job hopped some more after that for more income (last noted at $100k/yr), and decided to sue Stardock in the hopes that they would settle and give her money or that she'd win and get money (suing for over $25k, but lawyers keep 40%). Most of her complaints about uncomfortable questions aren't things Wardell actually asked, but come from a purity test link she got emailed by him. And since the purity test was mailed company-wide, it can't be considered sexual harassment because that requires being harassed on the basis of your sex. A company-wide e-mail is nondiscriminatory. Other complaints are contradicted by other employees who were present.

Also, her lawsuit is "hostile environment sexual harassment" - that she was subjected to an oppressive and degrading atmosphere on the basis of her sex until she was finally fired for telling Brad she couldn't take all the sexual harassment. Problem with the "hostile environment" claim is that it requires being too uncomfortable to function properly at work. But Alexandra Miseta apparently felt comfortable enough to make a beat stick to (playfully) hit Wardell for missing deadlines, so I kinda get the feeling she wasn't being oppressed there. Main reason she has a case at all is because Brad sent a dumb reply back to her (maybe 'cause he lowered his guard to the possibility that a longstanding employee - one he thought he was on good terms with and knew well - would use the email to fuck him) which can be used to argue that the employer was aware of an oppressive environment and failed to take adequate steps to correct it.

tl;dr: Girl sued sexual harassment for money and doesn't have a real case.

Just got an 85 from PC Gamer. There WILL be a demo of Legendary Heroes so you can make your own call.

Demo is good. 85 from PC Gamer is meaningless. I hear they also gave Dragon Age 2 a glowing Editor's Choice at 94%, so I have a hard time taking PC Gamer reviews seriously.

Last edited:

Frogboy

Stardock
Developer
..you must admit, FE does have a lot of additive game mechanics to it. The tool tips literally spell out how you get to a number. The values are about as straight forward as you can get while keeping some reasonable level of sophistication:

A lot compared to what? More importantly, "a lot" doesn't cut it. The magic system isn't 50 kinds of broken because it uses "a lot" of additive mechanics. It's 50 kinds of broken because it also uses multipliers with the predictable result that:

1. Players (and evidently developers too) don't understand the exact nature of the choices they make.
2. However balanced* the additive side of the mechanics are, that balance is gleefully defenestrated by the multipliers.

*Take a look at the +5dmg/lvl Sundering spell for an example of truly craptastic balance. 3 level 15+ heroes can insta-kill everything up to and including world bosses on the first turn if they have that spell and the next-to-no mana it costs to cast it (pretty sure it's not just most powerful direct damage spell, but also the cheapest).

The spell of Sunder only affects elementals. And elementals gain about 5HP per level. I'm not seeing the problem with it. A 15th level champion should be able to instakill a 1st level elemental.

If memory serves, the single most criticised mechanic during the WoM beta, was the Rnd+Att-Def=Dmg mechanic. People even explained why they thought it was problematic; because due to the wider system mechanics, Att and Def values have to have a very high range, which inevitably creates really screwy damage outputs when a wide selection of different units start fighting - as they are meant to do in WoM & FE.

It's never been addressed, and it remains one of the great weaknesses of Elemental.

I would say it was addressed in that it's no longer a single roll but rather every individual in the group does the roll so you end up with a much more guassian distribution rather than extremes. The relationship between attack, defense, and HP is tightly balanced. Kael generates the values through a spread sheet. So if he increases the attack of a weapon, it automatically adjusts the HP and defenses of a wide variety of things based on the relationship between the three.

I believe the most frequently suggested alternative, was to de-couple the to-hit and to-damage mechanics. If so, that's not terribly surprising. Because it's how other games go about it. Even games where actual damage done it more or less dependent on the success of the to-hit event, generally treat it as 2 separate events instead of 1 event.

..which is how FE works. One player's accuracy is measured against the other player's dodge to hit. All units have accuracy and dodge.

The 2 event approach has a couple of other significant advantages: it conforms to player expectations so you don't have to try to teach anyone how it works, and it lets you modify two events instead of just one so you've just made it twice as interesting to play with.

Kael agrees. That's why it was implemented that way.

But whatever. The big-huge issue is, as mentioned, the range of the values involved. And that's kind of a theme in WoM & FE. It's much, much too easy to increase the various values, and then explode them into game-wreck-land with multipliers. Creating heroes with 30+ initiv, 30+ Defence, 100+ mastery, 50+ dmg AoE and -50% mana cost is so easy you don't even have to try. And just one such hero can nuke every basic unit type in the game in 1 hit.

How do you get that? If you can think of a specific scenario where you can easily get that I am sure Kael would want to know.

In my last game I had a stack with 3 heroes running around, each of whose cheapest (non-Sundering) direct damage spell did 130+ damage,

Which spell does that? I am not aware of any that can do that.

and all of who had Mastery way in excess of 100.

I'm not sure why this is a bad thing. Mastery is weighed against Resistence to determine if the unit resists the spell.

At that point the match was decided, because although the match wasn't even at what should have been the half way point, I'd effectively become all-powerful (what's it, like 10'ish turns to beat the World Quest thingy assuming no handy roads for running back & forth between?).

Certainly if you have a spell doing 130 damage that's a game breaker. But I'd argue that it's a problem with the spell. Not some underlying game design issue. I could write some XML to have the Sword of Frogs that does 10,000 damage and make it common and voila, broken game play. But that doesn't mean there's some underlying game design issue.

Getting a pair of heroes (or more) up to level KiLL EVERYTHING! while generating 50+ essence/turn is very quick and not very dependent on how much pressure you're put under by your rivals (not that they're any good at putting pressure on you), and once you get there, nothing can prevent you from achieving Conquest or World Quest victory.

How do you generate 50 mana per turn? You get ~1 per shard. You can get a couple more from a city if it has essence. If you've found a way to get lots of mana per turn that is due to a game mechanic flaw (as opposed to say having 50 cities or something where yea, you should get 50 mana per turn) then that would be a good thing to address.

Now, with regards to allowing multiple champions per army, that's a worthy subject. I don't remember but could you have multiple heroes in MOM in a single group?

As the AI guy, I've lobbied for eliminating more than 1 champion per army. But players like that game play because it is fun for most people to level up units and then bring them together for a final battle. It's the pay off for them. *I* don't like it. But I do know others do.

- Understand that this isn't the same as saying, for example, that Baldur's Gate suxx because I can exploit area transitions to take down the toughest bastards in the game with a level 1 wizard. In FE I'm not exploiting any kind of technical limitations or bugs. I'm playing the game exactly as it is designed to be played. The problem isn't that the game can be broken by a creative player, but that its natural state is utter brokenness.

I don't think listing a spell that does too much damage is an indication of a "natural state" of brokenness. Being able to put multiple champions in an army is somewhat more legtiimate a claim but even then, it really comes down to balance.

If you really, really must have your fucking multipliers, you need to start thinking about them seriously.

As the screenshots demonstrate, the core mechanics are addidtive: It's +1 +1 +1 type stuff. The few multipliers are handled "seriously".

1. It's very, very difficult to design a system that has stacking multipliers, and simultaneously avoid that those stacking multipliers become all-important.

I agree. That's why we don't do it. If you know of a specific exmaple, I'd like to know so I can pass it on to Kael.

2. The affected values must be designed to handle multipliers. For example, if the range of a value has 100 increments - say 1-100 damage - a 10% multiplier is worth 0 at the low end and worth 10 at the high end. More, it breaks the range of the value, exploding it from 100 increments to 110 increments.

I agree.

Captain Obvious stuff, I know. But evidently you guys don't know. Or at least, the mechanics in WoM and FE demonstrate no such understanding. Don't believe me? Ask youself what the 6 best Hero ulocks are. The answer is the Potential & Trainer unlocks - that's XP multipliers, in case you didn't know.

Yes, and those are addidtive bonuses that are carefully controlled. It's not like it's 10% * 20% * 30%. It's N% * an addidtive value.

The next Top 20'ish unlocks are also multipliers of various kinds, and that's in a system where Initiative are so incredibly overpowered it's flat out silly.

You say initiative is over powered. How? It determines how often a unit moves in battle. So I get a typical unit that starts at say 20 initiative. End of game my mega guy may have 30 initiative. That's not a huge change. By late game, I should get an extra move over low level units every few turns.

Screwy mechanics & lack of straightforwardness...

FE has several instances of multipliers affecting multiple variable values. Empire-wide multipliers to resource generation, for example. Whatever you might want to call it, straightforward it isn't. Is it a direct multiplier on each city? On combined output of all cities? How does it stack with similar modifiers - are they added together and then applied, or do each one get applied in succession?
As is typically the case in FE, trying to understand exactly what's happening is not any kind of entertainment. It is WORK.

That something is "basic" doesn't make it good. Of course, just because something is an impenetrable, ungainly mess, doesn't necessarily make it bad either. GalCiv2's system design if fucking awful, but mostly solid. The notable exception is that the economy multipliers explodes the economy to the extent that the economy mechanics basically break down. If you understand how GalCiv2's economy mechanics work it becomes very quick and easy to set yourself up with functionally infinite monies. But the rest of the system, despite being a similarly awkward clusterfuck of mechanics, mostly works acceptably.

See, I strongly disagree here. GalCiv's mechanics were total crap. The only reason that that game wasn't a total disaster is because of massive play testing over a long period of time. But it was absolute crap. I designed GalCiv so I am very familiar with it's craptitude parts.

FE, by contrast, has very clean mechanics. When I see you bunch WOM and FE together (which have completely different combat/spell/etc. mechanics) I don't know what to think.

FE is more different from WOM than GalCiv is from Master of Orion. Very different games.

In FE, just about everything is like GalCiv2's economy; the entire system is a fucking mess,

Bullshit. The FE economy is about as straight forward as you can get in this kind of game. What are you even comparing it to? GalCiv2's economy was a "fucking mess" I agree. But FE's? Spare me the hyperbole. Unless you can point me to some game you've developed or...at the very least, some game that you think FE should borrow from then be real. Are you suggesting that Civ V's economy was more straight forward? Master of Orion? Other than games that have pre-made cities or extremely simple economics I can't think of any game whose economics are more straight forward than FE's.

and pretty much every element you care to single out, can not only be exploited to a game breaking degree, they're mostly can't avoid exploding out into game-wreck-land. I don't need to "power-game" a particular sub-set of the system for it to break out of step with the rest of the system, the tiniest bit of focus on any one particular sub-set of the mechanics causes system-wrecking imbalance.

Example?

As for diplomacy, why no tooltips explaining exactly why those modifiers apply? From your example:

"I want what you have" & "You're too far away to worry about" seem contradictory. As do "You're dominating me" & "You're beneath me". And "You're beneath us" & "We have the same allegiance". And "We're at war" & "You're too far away to worry about"...

The modifiers themselves are plain as day, but how a player might actually play with them is clear as a moonless night in an unlit basement full of tar.

Arguing what string names is used has nothing to do with the mechanics. That screenshot was in response to your argument that everything is multiplied which is obviously not the case. Weapons, economics, combat, diplomacy, etc. are a series of additive steps.

There certainly are a few multipliers, I grant that. Multipliers can be useful. Tax rate for example. The cumulative gold generated by a city is ultimately multiplied by the tax rate (0% to 100%). I think that's a good system. You are free to disagree.

There's a multiplier on production -- unrest that works much the same as tax rate does on gold generation.

There are hero perks that provide an N% boost to a stat. I'm not as thrilled on that but I don't find it game breaking.

I appreciate you taking the time to debate these points. This is precisely why I hang out on forums. Over on Penny-Arcade there was a debate on how uber units dominated the battlefield which led to the creation of a "Swarm" game mechanic in tactical. So good things do come from these discussions.

The more specific you can get, the better.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Is the game any good?
I followed the original since back in beta, I even bought in to try the sweet, sweet looking beta for myself. I wanted to love the game, but to be honest it's all been an unfocused, slow-paced, boring, unintuitive and uninspired mess. After being utterly underwhelmed by the final WoM and FE, I'll probably just end up giving away the LH steam key the next time we do one of the Kodex Gifting Threads.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can you design proper economy?

Can anyone? Getting inflation and deflation, private and public spending, government and administration, currencies, trade and stuff like that RIGHT is way beyond any game I have ever played, even dedicated economy simulators. Expecting it to be well represented in a game like this is something that obviously is not going to happen.

Multi-headed Cow

Is the game any good?
I followed the original since back in beta, I even bought in to try the sweet, sweet looking beta for myself. I wanted to love the game, but to be honest it's all been an unfocused, slow-paced, boring, unintuitive and uninspired mess. After being utterly underwhelmed by the final WoM and FE, I'll probably just end up giving away the LH steam key the next time we do one of the Kodex Gifting Threads.
Dibs! DIIIIIIIIIIIBS!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Can anyone? Getting inflation and deflation, private and public spending, government and administration, currencies, trade and stuff like that RIGHT is way beyond any game I have ever played, even dedicated economy simulators. Expecting it to be well represented in a game like this is something that obviously is not going to happen.

You are mistaking behavior of a company for actual economy.

Inflation happens only when money are merchandise. Private and public spending is bit silly differentiation when you are talking about kingdoms and gold standard. They are not robbers who were elected into money robbing position by a populi. A competent kingdom should be long lasting, thus a king and the rest of government is responsible for several things that would otherwise torpedo the very existence of kingdom. So these things are basically fixed, and it's trivial to spend that half year by actual programming. The rest of the staff is basically limited by environment they are in. Even democracies can't abuse it for too long because they would have consequences by stagflation, and yes these poor that were living in shit can and will hurt the government.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not trolling here but I'm still trying to figure out why some of this is paid content:

• Gain Champions through fame.
    Champions are no longer simply randomly found, instead, they seek you out based on the amount of fame your kingdom has generated. But be warned, the legendary champions of old were not all Men or Fallen....
  • New Leveling System.
    Your sovereign and your champions now evolve through a skill tree that visually allows you to pre-plan what kind of hero you want him or her to be.
  • New Tactical Battle Maps.
    Battles are now much more intense with far more special skills available and initiative being far more important. New combat mechanics such as swarming increase the strategic options.
  • Larger maps.
    A new gigantic sized map delivers epic sized games.
  • Updated Graphics Engine.
    The graphics engine delivers stunningly new visuals while improving performance on older machines.

Stuff like this should be provided free to people owning FE. Now if you want to go ahead and charge $10-20 for a DLC that adds the other features like a new scenario, new units, etc. so be it. Although maybe some of this (quoted stuff) is, in fact, being added free/updated into base FE?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Indeed, these sound like some much needed changes (still waiting for a magic revamp), but should be provided as a patch, not paid content.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also not sure of the reasoning behind making it a 'standalone' expansion in the sense that after it's released it effectively takes the place of FE. FE itself was a relaunch of Elemental and now LH is a relaunch of a relaunch. To be fair you have 'Gold' editions of Civ 5 and other games but this just strikes me as odd given the game's history.

Misconnected

Savant
The spell of Sunder only affects elementals. And elementals gain about 5HP per level. I'm not seeing the problem with it. A 15th level champion should be able to instakill a 1st level elemental.

Yeah, the Sunder spell only affects elementals. The world bosses are elementals. The world bosses and their associated areas exist to provide expansion and XP harvesting opportunities for players who don't want to pursue a Conquest victory. The Sunder spell, as mentioned, acually does a whole hell of a lot more than 5hp/lvl damage, because a lvl15 champion has gained 5-10 multiplier traits related directly to cost and damage output of that (and every other) spell. So in reality any champion of sufficient level to fight a world boss, and whose time isn't better spent fighting pretty much anything imaginable that isn't a world boss, will do 250-300hp dmg per Sunder to a world boss

You know why you don't nuke every world boss on a map? Because the movement cost in turns isn't worth the resources defeating them unlocks. The actual bosses are only a consideration in terms of how many turns it takes to get in position to nuke them, and how many turns it takes to get the nuke-stack back to somewhere it can fight the AI. The bosses themselves are a fucking joke. Because the spell is utterly broken - not because they won't rape the shit out of any basic troops, which they certainly will.

..which is how FE works. One player's accuracy is measured against the other player's dodge to hit. All units have accuracy and dodge.

My apologies, you're right. Funny how you tend to overlook the one thing that works in the ocean of things that don't.

Then again, I suppose I should test just how well it works before I open my mouth. I've never run any assassin builds - because the AI did and it failed miserably because of it. But... The AI fucking sucks, so I'm not about to believe the game can't be wrecked 10 ways by optimising dodge before checking for myself.

How do you get that? If you can think of a specific scenario where you can easily get that I am sure Kael would want to know.

How? Partly through gear and mostly through level unlocks. I know you've watched a YouTube Let's Player called Das#. You might instead want to watch someone can actually play your game. If you'll pay me I'll happily break your game for you on video. Alternatively you can have a look at the Mad Djinn's LPs of your game. Yes he's still very much learning how to play your game. But he's been wrecking the systems design pretty much from the get-go.

And no, I don't consider myself a particularly good player, but I'm sure as shit better than MD is - I ought to be too, I've been playing since the first WoM beta.

Which spell does that? I am not aware of any that can do that.

Flame strike? The magic missile-like in of fire magic. It's a +2dmg/lvl spell, but as mentioned several times already, the multipliers utterly fucks over any semblance of balance. Really, when you have a lvl 10 hero nuking the Lord of Fire or whatever in turn 1 with a 0 casting time spell, for less than 10 mana.... Something is just a teensy bit broken. Don't you think?

I'm not sure why this is a bad thing. Mastery is weighed against Resistence to determine if the unit resists the spell.

Trust me, it's not a bad thing. It's a terrible thing. I'm not sure if mastery-resistance works like a D&D save or if it's straight up M>R full dmg, R>M half dmg. The reason I'm not sure is because mastery is very easy to increase, while resistance is basically between 10 and 50 for the entire world and everything in it. Either way, when you can have 100+ mastery at lvl 10 - which tends to be before you've even unlocked any semi-decent basic troops - it means everything is fucked if it meets a magic user controlled by a human player.

Of course, this only goes for human players. The AI has no concept of the importance of mastery.

Certainly if you have a spell doing 130 damage that's a game breaker. But I'd argue that it's a problem with the spell. Not some underlying game design issue. I could write some XML to have the Sword of Frogs that does 10,000 damage and make it common and voila, broken game play. But that doesn't mean there's some underlying game design issue.

I have that problem with every spell that does direct damage. Flame strike insta-nukes 1 guy. Fireball insta-nukes lots. Blizzard insta-nukes pretty much everything.

Sundering scales way, waaaaay too hard on the additive side. But everything else scales just as much out of control because of the multipliers.

How do you generate 50 mana per turn? You get ~1 per shard. You can get a couple more from a city if it has essence. If you've found a way to get lots of mana per turn that is due to a game mechanic flaw (as opposed to say having 50 cities or something where yea, you should get 50 mana per turn) then that would be a good thing to address.

Assume 5 essence focused cities when the expansion phase ends on a medium sized map, 3-4 of those with shards. That's not unreasonable, it is typical. Extrapolate into the midgame and you have 40-50 essence. In the late game - though chances are you won't hit the late game, because you can grab any victory you want by the midgame - you're going to be generating around 100 essence per turn.

That's the kind of essence income that allows you to blizzard a genuine army stack to death every turn, and still win the spell of making victory in 10 turns.

Basically, you're generating essence faster than you can reasonably spend it.

Now, with regards to allowing multiple champions per army, that's a worthy subject. I don't remember but could you have multiple heroes in MOM in a single group?

As the AI guy, I've lobbied for eliminating more than 1 champion per army. But players like that game play because it is fun for most people to level up units and then bring them together for a final battle. It's the pay off for them. *I* don't like it. But I do know others do.

I don't actually remember. You could in AoW, and just like in FE it was the source of a lot of fail. I'm absolutely behind rethinking Heroes as stack leaders only. It would do wonders for game balance. Really, make it so. Even a 100% XP penalty would still make hero doomstacks worthwhile.

I don't think listing a spell that does too much damage is an indication of a "natural state" of brokenness. Being able to put multiple champions in an army is somewhat more legtiimate a claim but even then, it really comes down to balance.

I trust you'll concede that FE is a very big and complicated system, yes? When I mention "an example" or "just one example" or similar here, I'm talking about stuff that represents general problems. I'm not simply saying "this one single thing is borked, so by extension I vaguely fucking hypothesise that maybe something else might possibly be". I'm doing it to avpod writing a damn dissertation. Though if you really want that sort of thing: pay me. Really, the beta is over. And I honestly don't have any faith you're making the effort to check out what I say here. So... Not gonna spend hours and hours on this. Sowwies.

The few multipliers are handled "seriously".

Fine. Riddle me this: if I prove you wrong with screenies, will you actually take it seriously and do something about it in your next "not-FE" game? Because I'm sufficiently interested in that to show you with fucking screenies just how broken your multipliers are. But I reqire a promise to the KKKodex. Otherwise, see my comments above about magic and heroes.

I agree. That's why we don't do it. If you know of a specific exmaple, I'd like to know so I can pass it on to Kael.

The 6 best hero unlocks are Trainer and Potential. I humbly request you patch out all of them, just to start with. We can discuss the rest afterwards.

In theory, maybe. In practise I know you don't. Like I said, I've played every SD game there is. It's what broke the back of your economy in GalCiv2 (well, if you take it to include pop mods, and I do). And it's what's breaking FE to pieces right now. In many, many more ways.

Yes, and those are addidtive bonuses that are carefully controlled.

*Laff* Controlled?

But yeah, I know. Problem I was trying to point out to you, is that you never explain how the fuck they work. And hey, if you could be bothered to do that, maybe - just maybe - they wouldn't break the associated mechanics, because it'd be clear even to you guys that they were much, much too effective.

You say initiative is over powered. How? It determines how often a unit moves in battle. So I get a typical unit that starts at say 20 initiative. End of game my mega guy may have 30 initiative. That's not a huge change. By late game, I should get an extra move over low level units every few turns.

Forgetting that you have army-wide initiv mods and not just the possibility, but commonly occurring armies with similar initiv. Which in practise means players can quite often init-nuke an army, init-boost their own, and then resolve a battle in perfect savety by taking a hit, backing off, taking a hit, backing off, repeat... Against a full fucking stack. It takes a total of 2 high initiv heroes.

More, at lower lvls stacks are typically harder solitary units, which means just about any stack with 2 heroes can do it right off, from level fucking 1, at the cost of 20 mana or so. Or about every 3 turns, at a point when the XP grind fights happen maybe every 6 turns.

Yeah man, it totally works as intended. I'm believing you sooooo hard :p

I'll respond to the rest at some later point. Friends at the door.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom