Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Stardock CEO thinks Civilization VI will be released in 2016

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I just found this blog post by Stardock's Brad Wardell where he claims inside knowledge of upcoming 4X's, including an unannounced Civ 6:

Be careful what you wish for.

Next year all the 4X’s are going to come out. What I write below is not under some NDA. I know it because it’s my job to know it.

Let me walk you through the schedule:

1H2016: Stellaris, Master of Orion

2H2016: Civilization VI, Endless Space 2

I could be wrong on the dates. You could swap some of this around a bit but you get the idea.
http://forums.galciv3.com/?aid=474109

It's been a while since Civ 5 so it's not implausible that we get a new Civilization game, but this sounds highly speculative. Wardell seems to be rather sure though, so it's worth discussing. Maybe he does have magic gamedev CEO divination powers.

However it is I hope that Firaxis has realized that 1UPT was a huge mistake.

Last edited:
This close to release, they'd be hyping the shit out of it, since that's what sells modern games. So I doubt it. If it was in the works, 2H2017 would be more plausible. 1H2017 at the earliest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe Bethesda-style "complete radio silence until six months before release" is the new normal.

Hellraiser

Arcane
But will it be better than Civilization 5 with the Brave New World expansion pack?

Not hard to achieve.

We're talking about Firaxis, the same one that gave us Civ: Beyond Earth. Knowing them they'll axe the tech tree and just replace it with a tech progress bar that unlocks units and buildings.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Maybe Bethesda-style "complete radio silence until six months before release" is the new normal.

For Civilization: Beyond Earth, the announcement was in April and the release in October. You could of course say, that a mod doesn't need an extensive media campaign. (I just checked, Civ 5 was announced in February and released September.)

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm so starved for sci-fi TBS games that I'm actually playing Beyond Earth: Rising Tide now. Stellaris can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Polanski

Scholar
I'm so starved for sci-fi RTS games that I'm actually playing Beyond Earth: Rising Tide now. Stellaris can't come soon enough.
But neither of those are RTS.. Did you consider Starcraft II?
(just being a dick, you probably mean TBS)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Galactic Civilizations IV: Electric Boogaloo
Anyway, ANYTHING will be better than CivV, which is the bottom of the franchize, sharing it with beyond Earth.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why would they stop making a franchise that nets them tens of millions of dollars?

Nahel

Arcane
Total War and Firaxis used to compete to make awesome strategy games...Now they compete to do the greatest decline and screw their consumers! And they make more money as ever...
:negative:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never got the hate for Civ V. Is because it finally had combat that is not just stack vs stack?
I liked that change.
Sure the game had bugs and crappy AI at relase but after DLCs etc it's pretty fine imo

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I never got the hate for Civ V. Is because it finally had combat that is not just stack vs stack?
I liked that change.
Sure the game had bugs and crappy AI at relase but after DLCs etc it's pretty fine imo

And the neutered, nonsensical diplomacy, plus shitty watered down religions & espionage.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I liked that change.
The ai makes the game unplayable for both combat and diplomacy,there is only one way to play the game without gimping yourself(thanks to tech tree and social policies inbalance),those are pretty big problems for any single player 4x game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I've still to find a 4x with good AI though.. GalCiv2 was decent I guess after all the patching but still exploitable.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I liked that change.

If spending hundreds of turns doing nothing is your thing then maybe. Because thats what happens in civ5, you click end turn repeatedly and nothing ever happens.

If spending hundreds of turns doing nothing is your thing then maybe. Because thats what happens in civ5, you click end turn repeatedly and nothing ever happens.
It's just a technical limitation of an outdated concept. Reliable sources say that in Civ6 "End Turn" will be replaced with an "Awesome" button and combat will become more visceral.

Perkel

Arcane
Get civ4 core gameplay, improve diplomacy, work on AI to be more humanlike (make mistakes, play long targets), no unit stack from Civ5, Civ3, double cost of units + "quick policies" that will give you ability to muster some army at expense of long therm profits like in EU

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
SoD complains are triggering me every fuckin time,it's like "No denying in LoL made for better game,coz I'm fuckin casual" argument.
What do you consider more casual in this metaphor, SoD or actual units with placement importance etc? I honestly don't get it, not trying to be edgy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom