Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News StarCrawlers launching on May 16th

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Juggernaut Games; StarCrawlers

The procedurally generated cyberpunkish sci-fi blobber StarCrawlers from indie studio Juggernaut Games has been in Early Access for over two years now. Its fans on our forum tell of an addictive game that has only gotten better, especially with the addition of a challenging non-procedurally generated story campaign. Now the end of development is finally in sight. Yesterday StarCrawlers received its final Early Access update, and with it a release date - May 16th. Juggernaut put together a cool little trailer for the occasion:

StarCrawlers has also been available on GOG's "In Development" Early Access program since last year, so it'll be there too when it launches. It's unclear whether the game's price will increase.

• Brofist x 10
    • Thanks! x 4
    • incline x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Pentagongender: ⚧ Novice

Pentagon
    Parrots:
    Roguelike sci-fi blobber does check off a lot of boxes I like. Any word on if the combat system is good?

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    It certainly IS enjoyable, but don't expect anything greatly complex (because it is not).

I DO hope they include at least a DEMO so people can see if this might be a game they might enjoy (I do). But it is not for everyone.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Sometimes enjoyable is enough if there are other high points to a game.

^ Top  
  5. I'm With Her Metrogender: ⚧ for prison Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Parrots:
    This looks like it turned out quite well. The itemization seems particularly neat.

^ Top  
  6. Sacibengalagender: ⚧ Educated

Sacibengala
    Parrots:
    and what about puzzles and exploration? Can I expect something like grimrock?

^ Top  
  7. Tom Baker's Arsegender: ⚧ Educated

Tom Baker's Arse
    Parrots:
    Nothing like Grimrock. i.e much more enjoyable to play, as far as blobbers go
    Combat is unique, itemization is well done, classes are well-balanced, writing is excellent.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Latelistenergender: ⚧ Learned

Latelistener
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Looks banal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tom Baker's Arsegender: ⚧ Educated

Tom Baker's Arse
    Parrots:
    Funny as a heart attack

• butthurt butthurt x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Au Ellaigender: ⚧ Literate

Au Ellai
    Parrots:
    Does anyone know if the combat is turn-based or real-time? The videos don't really make it obvious (looks turn-based, but not obviously so), and all the steam reviews compare it directly to both Grimrock, and M&MX, which had completely different combat systems. The fact that games descended from M&M and games descended from Dungeon Master are both interchangeably called "Dungeon Crawlers" and "Blobbers" despite having completely different combat systems has always kinda bugged me. They play so differently but are referred to as basically being the same that the genre/sub-genre shorthand doesn't really help define the game.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Jack Dandygender: ⚧ Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Turn based

• incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yuge! Yuge! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Hopefully not.

I'd rather have some RPG combat goodness than Dance, Dance Revolution mixed with a sudoko book.
    If you like puzzles for the sake of having puzzles, go play The Witness.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. <3sRichardSimmonsgender: ⚧ Arcane

<3sRichardSimmons
    Parrots:
    Wow this looks great! I remember seeing something about this a while ago, but I lost interest when I saw it was in EA. Fuck that shit. Can some enlightened codexer who's played it tell me if there's an option to turn on grid-based movement? I know it seems like a silly, minor thing, but lawnmowering down the map is one of my favorite parts of muh blobbers. Free movement just isn't the same.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Iznaliugender: ⚧ Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    There are a few puzzles, but most of them can be brute-forced.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. The Red Knightgender: ⚧ Novice

The Red Knight
    Parrots:
    Grid-based movement only, with strafing and 90-degrees turning. Enemies only move after you move (some can move more than one grid at a time, some are slower and move every other turn). There is a free camera view option for investigating the surroundings so you can pick items from / interact with the floor or the ceiling. Can't remember if the permanent free camera setting (as opposed to when-holding-a-key one) is on or off by default but imho it's better to leave it on (the game is bad at detecting where you want to go if you don't look straight-ish, but there's lots of looking around to be done as your party is near-sighted and hugs walls otherwise). You can see the movement about 0:17 into the trailer; a bit of free view in the mine and keyboard turning in the office. Initial floating scenes are for trailer purposes.

Also the only real-time parts seem to be security systems (such as cameras switching focus from one grid to another) and possible damaging effects of getting caught in these and standing still.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)