Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125859261/starcrawlers
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203628033

https://af.gog.com/game/starcrawlers?as=1649904300

We got this in the mail. It seems interesting enough to give them some publicity.

Hello RPG Codex,

My name is Elena, I work at Juggernaut Games (we're a small studio in San Diego working on our first game). StarCrawlers is a first person sci-fi dungeon crawler with a Shadowrun-inspired theme and procedurally generated dungeons. I've pasted our press release below - its got links to the trailer video featuring a new track by Ben Prunty (who's doing our soundtrack), plus links to screenshots, the website, etc.

Since your forums are full of posts on a lot of the games that were our main gameplay inspirations (Ultima/Wizardry and dungeon crawlers of yesteryear plus, obviously, grimrock) I hoped you might be willing to post a preview of the game for your readers. We're gearing up for a kickstarter in the early part of next month and we're trying to get the word out as much as possible, so we'd really appreciate it! Please contact me if you need more information and/or if you'd like to do an interview.

PRESS RELEASE

San Diego, CA - January 24, 2014 – Independent game studio Juggernaut Games announces their first title – StarCrawlers, a sci-fi dungeon-crawling RPG. Run a crew of talented fixers taking shady jobs on the fringes of space where your choices dynamically change the way you explore the environment, fight your foes, resolve encounters, and how your story ultimately unfolds.

Description:

Whatever their particular skillset - be it hacking, smuggling or advanced ass-kicking - StarCrawlers are individuals who specialize in taking jobs others won't. Your team will venture into procedurally-generated environments full of lethal enemies, unexpected events, and deadly traps. Conspiracy is afoot, and you may stumble upon valuable information - how you choose to use it is up to you.

As you progress through the dungeon, you’ll face tougher and tougher enemies and be tested against elite bosses, requiring you to make strategic decisions about your team build, their combat specialization and their gear. Team build will also have an impact on what you can do while exploring, with each character class bringing their own specialized skills to bear to help you avoid obstacles, deal with NPCs, and navigate hazards more effectively.

Features:
Soundtrack by Ben Prunty
Classic first person dungeon crawling exploration
Procedurally generated environments with random encounters, traps, and enemies
Deep character customization with abilities that can be modded and changed
Randomly generated and upgradeable loot
PC, Mac, and Linux support

Look out for our Kickstarter campaign coming soon!

Release Date: TBD

Media Links:
Press Kit : http://www.juggernaut-games.com/press/
Trailer: http://www.juggernaut-games.com/press/#trailers
Company Website: http://www.juggernaut-games.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Random everything = yawn. A randomly generated dungeon will never be as good as a hand crafted one done by a person who knows about good dungeon design.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I thought you liked randomness.
I'm trying to find an analogy, but you know it's like a food you like and that is great in moderate amounts but a meal entirely composed of it just makes you sick.

I like randomness as an enhancing factor, not something permeating every single aspect of the game. The dungeon layout is random, the encounters are random, the loot is random, your mom is random...come on just stop.

Do you not like roguelikes, then?
I don't really like or dislike, I played a few a handful of times but I don't find the genre much interesting, it's a very different thing from CRPGs.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Need to see a better proof of concept, but it looks alright. Only complaint at this very shallow juncture is that robots are boring as fuck and I hope they are not the primary foe of a space-based sci-fi game.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The man uses the term "procedurally generated dungeons' without falling into the new hip indie trend of describing his game as 'roguelike'. Just for that, the man has my appreciation. I'll keep on eye on this. We could use more space-based CRPGs.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been long wanting a good first-person turn-based roguelike. The last one we had was what, Dungeon Hack? Being sci-fi is good, too.

The project lead's apparent lack of experience in programming and rpg design makes me a bit wary, though. I wonder if they can make the procedural generation any good, the character development complex enough, and the challenge high enough. Because that's what makes or breaks a game like this.

At the moment this is a wait-and-see project for me.

getter77

Augur
It sounds promising, but time will tell once they get around to their proper launch and whatnot.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Random everything = yawn. A randomly generated dungeon will never be as good as a hand crafted one done by a person who knows about good dungeon design.

This is also why I lost interest to "Elite Dangerous". I recall the game "Hellbender" from 1996 and it was great because the planet surface and caves were designed by hand and featured nifty things only humans can create. Now imagine everything was generated procedurally - how boring would that be? Every planet would feel, look and play the same. Of course one could say: "you just need to brainstorm the nifty things and feed it into your procedural generator" - yes, that's true, but you'd need hell of a generator for that. I doubt we can expect something sophisticated like that.

Also if everything is procedurally generated the game has no soul.

Same with "Malevolence RPG"... looks great from a technical point of view - but play it? - No.

B2T: (if the developers read it) graphics and combat look aesthetically pleasing and polished, which is respectable. A good point to start off.

Edit: oh I forgot - get rid off the ugly red background of your juggernut logo. It really makes me puke and almost made me stop the video before it reached 5 seconds.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The dungeons in Incursion were amazing. Tons of variant rooms and passages; caverns, chasms, narrow passages, ice wall mazes, all sorts of cool shit. That game had more variety on a single floor than some games have in an entire playthrough. Random generation can be excellent when done properly. Whether it's randomly generated or not, the real limitation is the developer's imagination. Oblivion had dozens of hand crafted dungeons and it felt like there were about 3 of them because they had no originality.

Roguelikes tend to come down to item drops and character progression more than anything though. If you get the same items (or at least use the same items and ditch everything else because it sucks) and skills every playthough, the game will feel repetitive and shit. If you tend to find something within the first 5-10 minutes that radically alters your playstyle each time, the game will kick ass.

Alchemist

Arcane
Being a fan of roguelikes and procedural content, I'll be keeping an eye on this. I do hope they have more than robots for enemies though.

I've been long wanting a good first-person turn-based roguelike. The last one we had was what, Dungeon Hack?
Malevolence is pretty much that. Whether it's good or not is a matter of taste - but I enjoyed what I've played of it. In open beta still I guess, they are still adding and tweaking features.

The dungeons in Incursion were amazing. Tons of variant rooms and passages; caverns, chasms, narrow passages, ice wall mazes, all sorts of cool shit. That game had more variety on a single floor than some games have in an entire playthrough. Random generation can be excellent when done properly. Whether it's randomly generated or not, the real limitation is the developer's imagination.
:bro: Agreed - it can be done well or done poorly. Incursion is a great example of getting it right. Of course, that has a huge advantage of being ASCII-based and not requiring the creation of tons of art assets for all that variety.

Repressed Homosexual
Heroes of a Broken Land shows us that randomly generated dungeons are sheer drudgery, and I doubt the developers of this are even a tenth as talented as Heroes' developer.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Didn't we have a lot of posts here about a grid based SF dungeon blobber a while back? Or is it the same game?

Nevermind, that was Space Shock. Same concept though. Not to mention it looks really similar. Hm.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/858695532/space-shock-0?ref=live

Anyway, liking what I've seen so far. Always enjoyed games like this. Here's some footage.

And a trailer.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Do you not like roguelikes, then?

He doesn't like anything. Only game I've seen Ex cop to playing is World of Warcraft. Take that for what you will. Anyway, I like what I see in the gameplay videos. I also don't get why people shit over procedurally generated. Unless you have a sizable budget chances are the 'handcrafted' environments you end up making aren't going to be superior -- just random sets of hallways.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
This is also why I lost interest to "Elite Dangerous".
you lost interest in elite: dangerous because it has a procedurally generated >galaxy< in addition to the handcrafted core worlds? how fucking stupid is that?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This is also why I lost interest to "Elite Dangerous".
you lost interest in elite: dangerous because it has a procedurally generated >galaxy< in addition to the handcrafted core worlds? how fucking stupid is that?

Then I want to see what kind of interaction I have with these handcrafted worlds, so it makes it worthwhile. But the present impression is that the game will feature utmost minimal gameplay and the rest is "oooh, look how much we procedurally generated". If I want to watch randomly generated fuck then I might as well watch the grass growing. He can still prove me otherwise, but the Alpha footage didn't impress me at all.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, this looks interesting, going to keep an eye on it. Would be worth a newspost, once it stops rivalling DU's riveting news on comparativist approach to neo-classic RPGs.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, the present impression is that the game will feature utmost minimal gameplay
the present impression based on what? because it sounds as if it's just like the other elite games with more stuff and the few first alpha impressions seem to be mostly positive.

Drew

Savant
Looks pretty nice. If there were more enemies, something biotic would be a decent addition, then I might look more into it.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Stop the bot on bot violence! Future sentient A.I's will use this game as an excuse to wipe out the human race.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom