Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

StarCraft: Remastered

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by J_C, Aug 5, 2016.

1. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!

^ Top  
  2. TalesfromtheCryptgender: ⚧ Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    So what about the old cutscenes in the campaigns, anyway? What do they plan to do with them? Redo? Make higher resolutions from the original source files, if possible? Or just leave them as they are?

^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wondering that myself. Hopefully they didn't get the Beamdog treatment.

^ Top  
  4. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    They're either doing next to nothing, or playing whatever they have done very close to their chest.

^ Top  
  5. Mengskgender: ⚧ Learned

Mengsk
    Parrots:
    Blizzard confirmed in an interview a while back, that the cinematics will be upscaled and remastered into 1080p, but not remade or redone in newer gen graphics.

What they are adding tho, are graphical interludes between missions and chapters, to tell the story in more rich detail.

I would have liked remade cinematics, but the old ones still hold up 100 %, so its a non issue

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. I'm With Her Morgothgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    The Starcraft cutscenes, alongside the Diablo II ones, are despite their technical age still the most suspenseful and atmospheric cutscenes of all Blizzard games, or of any video game for that matter. It really started to go downhill with Warcraft III and onwards.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Mengskgender: ⚧ Learned

Mengsk
    Parrots:
    True, while the cinematics of todays games themselves are amazing from a technical standpoint, they are lacking in the "feel" and atmosphere and storytelling of the older games.

Imagine having cinematic tech back in 1998 era. Hnnnnnnng

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Luka-boygender: ⚧ Arcane

Luka-boy
    Parrots:
    My favourite were the cutscenes that had both some comedy and Terrans getting slaughtered.

While having them remade could be neat, I'm happy if they only upscale and clean them up a bit as long as they don't fuck it up.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. I'm With Her Morgothgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    So this should be out in ~80 min or so.

^ Top  
  10. Mengskgender: ⚧ Learned

Mengsk
    Parrots:
    RELEASED

FIKALLY

• incline incline x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again 80s Stallonegender: ⚧ Arcane

80s Stallone
    Parrots:
    So it's like 4+GB???

EDIT: Was disappointed that the original German voices had seemingly disappeared, but you can activate them in the options. Das könnte gut werden.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. J_Cgender: ⚧ One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Can someone who plays this confirm that
    a) they haven't changed the cinematics
    b) they haven't changed the music apart from re-recording it in higher quality.

Graphics wise this looks amazing, but for me sound, music and atmosphere mean much more.

^ Top  
  13. Mengskgender: ⚧ Learned

Mengsk
    Parrots:
    Can confirm cinematics are not changed, not even that much upscaled as it looks, abit less pixaleted, but pretty much the same. They are in widescreen now tho.

Music is entirely the same, it's remastered and sounds much better. And sounds in general are better also. Really pack a bunch. Terrific.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again 80s Stallonegender: ⚧ Arcane

80s Stallone
    Parrots:
    So there isn't an out-zoom. Okay, kinda obvious since it's just a re-skin.

^ Top  
  15. Destroidgender: ⚧ Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    So... they cut the top and bottom off the scene and fucked up all the cinematography?

^ Top  
  16. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    No they were upscaled without destroying the quality.

^ Top  
  17. TalesfromtheCryptgender: ⚧ Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    It's ok. Music is the same, cutscenes are the original ones but in better quality (less pixilated). Mission briefings are the same except for the changed hero portraits obviously.

The parts where you had green text on black background explaining things are now accompliced by illustrations. No biggy, although I preferred it the old way. All in all it's very faithful except as I mentioned they could not resist to taint the menu artworks and some of the character portraits with their shitty SCII artstyle. Biggest offenders are the Protoss, who all got the "long snoot" make-over. Zerg and Terran have some portraits that are off too, it's especially jarring since other portraits are well done, perfect reproductions of the originals down to the last pixel.

All in all it's a good meal with a bit of shit on top.

Gameplay wise it seems faithful to a fault, you can't even use waypoints to auto-assign new workers to gather resources, just like in the original. That's how hardcore it is. I guess Blizzard knew the Koreans would rip them a new one if they tried any shit.

Ingame graphics are fine and completely faithful, although it takes a while to get used to the crispyness.

I'd say it's worth a buy if you can look over some of the fuckups in the art department. All in all it's probably the best remaster around and miles above shit like Age of Empires 2 HD.

Edit: You can switch between the original game and the remaster on the fly by toggling the HD Graphic option in the menu. So it's indeed just a reskin with the original game itself untouched, this is actually incline compared to all the remasters where they recreate the game in a new engine with all the bugs and fuck ups that inevitably result from that (Homeworld, Besmdogs IE remasters).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. TalesfromtheCryptgender: ⚧ Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    I'm wondering if Multiplayer will attract significant numbers of old time players who haven't touched the game in ages or if it's gonna be only Korean hardcore freaks all over again.

Im actually tempted to give MP a try...

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Quatlogender: ⚧ Arcane

Quatlo
    Parrots:
    did they add any new fancy features like ranksand matchmaking?

^ Top  
  20. cioxgender: ⚧ Learned

ciox
    Parrots:
    It looks like the cutscenes were smoothed, sharpened then, bafflingly, vertically squashed to maintain the original letterboxing effect even on 16:9 since they were already "widescreen".
    http://imgur.com/a/nW4Ke

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. TalesfromtheCryptgender: ⚧ Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    It has Auto-Matchmaking (for ranked games), I think that one is new. I think I'll be better of joining some custom games for noobs though.

^ Top  
  22. TalesfromtheCryptgender: ⚧ Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    By the way, you can switch back and forth between the original game and the remastered version at anytime using the F5 key - no matter if it's while being on a menu screen, during gameplay, mission briefings or even during the cutscenes! That's pretty cool actually.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    So, no UI improvements whatsoever? With zoom out level remaining the same?

^ Top  
  24. Mengskgender: ⚧ Learned

Mengsk
    Parrots:
    Correct. Remaining absolute faithful to the original (which is seen to be close to perfect) was paramount in making this remastering.

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    Meh, that probably means the original version with high res mod is still better. But seriously, you can't even queue up more orders with Shift?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)