Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Portrait videoes of all races now. EPIC

Most look good and respect the original portraits but a couple are "wtf". High Templar for example was cooler with the face covered by shadows in the original. And Artanis looks like baby's first Zbrush sculpture. But overall much better than you'd expect from this kind of remakes.

Protoss definitely suffer the most. Protoss faces are pretty much interchangable and what set the portraits apart was the environmental cues, but those are all diminished in HD.

Also Queen looks cartoony. Terran all look pretty nice.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You kiddin'? Terrans look awful, especially the "heroes". Raynor, Kerrigan, Duke and Duran look like dorks, Stukov look like he's been dead for couple of days at least and Mengsk went from charismatic sage to a washed up rockman looks.

You kiddin'? Terrans look awful, especially the "heroes". Raynor, Kerrigan, Duke and Duran look like dorks, Stukov look like he's been dead for couple of days at least and Mengsk went from charismatic sage to a washed up rockman looks.

Heroes look off for every race, but the terran units are fine. Well, maybe the marine lost some of its character.

J1M

Arcane
Changing everyone's head shape was not a bright call.

Lol Christ you people are just as bad as the nerds on the official forums whining about some Protoss units having blue eyes in new concept art.

fyi for anybody who missed it: Last night's games were awesome. Especially both of Bisu's games.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
1448835803473.jpg

Quatlo

Arcane
I hate this gay sc2-esque artstyle. This shit looks like from a comic book, while sc1 was way darker and gritty. They can fuck themselves. :keepmymoney:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Protoss were completely butchered with the new art style, predictably so. Terrans are mostly ok. Zerg are surprisingly good sometimes, while unfortunatly some of the most iconic units like Hydralisk went from genuinely nightmarish (in a good way) to comic scare level.

6/10 overall, not impressed but it could have been worse I guess...

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
IT's not a new art style, you guys realize that rigth ?

It's the same sprites and graphics, just touched up to 4k.

This is how the game always should have looked, but the tech wasnt there in 1997. So.

The game was gritty, because the sprites and 2d graphics were shitty low res compared to today :)

I love the remastered graphics, looks so fucking good.

lmfao has anybody complaining about how the new art is so radically different actually played the original game recently? I mean recently as in before March or so when the remaster was actually confirmed? It looks exactly the fucking same. Y'all are like those other tards on the official forums whining about portraits.

durrhurrrrr the eyes are blueeee

Quatlo

Arcane

This is how the game always should have looked, but the tech wasnt there in 1997. So.

The game was gritty, because the sprites and 2d graphics were shitty low res compared to today :)

Need a plant tag or Poe's law is fucking with me again.

lmfao has anybody complaining about how the new art is so radically different actually played the original game recently? I mean recently as in before March or so when the remaster was actually confirmed? It looks exactly the fucking same. Y'all are like those other tards on the official forums whining about portraits.

How much of a deluded fanboy can one person get? Dude calm down.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Need a plant tag or Poe's law is fucking with me again.

How much of a deluded fanboy can one person get? Dude calm down.

You're a moron.

Get out of this thread, faggot.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So what about the old cutscenes in the campaigns, anyway? What do they plan to do with them? Redo? Make higher resolutions from the original source files, if possible? Or just leave them as they are?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wondering that myself. Hopefully they didn't get the Beamdog treatment.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So what about the old cutscenes in the campaigns, anyway? What do they plan to do with them? Redo? Make higher resolutions from the original source files, if possible? Or just leave them as they are?

Blizzard confirmed in an interview a while back, that the cinematics will be upscaled and remastered into 1080p, but not remade or redone in newer gen graphics.

What they are adding tho, are graphical interludes between missions and chapters, to tell the story in more rich detail.

I would have liked remade cinematics, but the old ones still hold up 100 %, so its a non issue

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The Starcraft cutscenes, alongside the Diablo II ones, are despite their technical age still the most suspenseful and atmospheric cutscenes of all Blizzard games, or of any video game for that matter. It really started to go downhill with Warcraft III and onwards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom