Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well, he may have imagined her at the end in the bar but that would mean Raynor disappears for no real reason. If she did in fact become human again, and if I recall correctly Zeratul had a premonition about that too, he can now happily repopulate barren planets with her.
In the end the SC campaigns weren't about overthrowing a tyrant, reuniting the Zerg/Protoss or fighting space-cthulhu. It was all about a boy and a girl who were in love, but had to fight impossible odds innumerous times in a grimdark but emotionally engaging universe so they could live happily ever after.

Between the ending for FO4 and this, I am actually having troubles deciding which is worse.
Kerrigan transforming into whatever shes supposed to be at the end fighting space-cthulhu, and then she gets transformed back into a human so she can make out with raynor? This could be a bioware plot right there.

Well, reading that actually made me laugh out loud. That's a point in SC2's favor.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well, reading that actually made me laugh out loud. That's a point in SC2's favor.
It's really fucking awful. At least Horner gets to be a big shot now, like he totally didn't wanna be back in WoL. Some people are arguing shes still basically a God but "chooses" to be with Raynor, but at that point I literally can't take any more of this cheap cheesy soap opera bullshit so I am content with comparing it to FO4 instead. Oh, and the game also says that this was the last time anyone has ever seen Jim Raynor.

I always viewed the UED not as being 'worse than hitler', or the anti-UED alliance being based on the idea that UED would be worse tyrants than the Zerg or Mengsk.

It was that the UED had a great big fuck off armada. None of the factions in SC want to be ruled by any of the other factions. Kerrigan doesn't make out like UED is ultra ultra evil and worse than the zerg. She points out that when humans come with a great big fuck-off armada, they aren't here to play footsies, and both Mengsk and Raynor agree. No manipulation required.

It isn't any 'greater/lesser' evil, insomuch as a 'holy SHIT that's a big force....we're FUCKED!' mentality.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I was with someone has he finished the campaign/epilogue and I say this without any shade of arrogance: I could have written a better story. I mean....you have to try to make it this bad.

The moment when Kerrigan goes Super Sayan is borderline parody.

Also they are REALLY stretching the "defend the something for x period of time to raise dramatic tension". Seems Mount Hyjal made quite the impact on Blizz design.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Raynor got pulled into the Nexus to fight alongside Uther in HoTS! It's canon!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, I know Fallout 4 came out on the same day and all, but doesn't it seem odd that there's virtually NO coverage of this game coming out? The only reason I knew about it was comments on the 'Dex.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I will try for the 1.8 billion achievement tonight. I wanted to try the mission without resorting to Dark Templar, but it looks like I cannot get higher without them. It probably does not help I went for Shakuras first in lieu of the terran missions.

Why don't you want DTs ,don't you like them?In the campaign their new skill that allows them to hit 5 enemies is really powerful,just send them as fast as you can to destroy the three sites and then turtle in

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
It was that the UED had a great big fuck off armada. None of the factions in SC want to be ruled by any of the other factions. Kerrigan doesn't make out like UED is ultra ultra evil and worse than the zerg. She points out that when humans come with a great big fuck-off armada, they aren't here to play footsies, and both Mengsk and Raynor agree. No manipulation required.
Kerrigan tells Jim that if UED isn't stopped, "they'll clamp down on this sector and enslave us all" and refers to their shared knowledge of the history of Earth. Of course UED's main point was being a massive outsider force that was throwing their weight around too much for anyone's comfort. However, Kerrigan even calls out her allies on choosing one evil over other when speaking privately with Duran at some point. She makes herself out to be the only force that can deal with the imminent UED threat, and that defeating the UED is the triumvirate's utmost priority. Then, she stabs them in the back, claims that she also needed her vengeance.

If Raynor and Fenix had never been manipulated, they'd probably be in the know about how the Protoss got screwed over by her earlier. Fenix even calls her out that she wants them to defeat the UED so that she alone can rule the Zerg, and then she claims it's all a pragmatic deed to keep the balance in the galaxy. That's manipulative, if you ask me.

She was making herself out to be much less of a threat than she really was the whole campaign, to both the Protoss and the dynamic duo.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
6 missions in and so far it seems quite similar to HotS, structure-wise. No hero upgrading so far tho, I want my heroes on the battlefield goddammit.

Mission design is a step up tho, just as HotS was an improvement over WoL. Bad news for me is most of them are the rush-rush-rush sort, not ideal for this slow, old man. But so far everything is manageable on Hard even with many, many restarts.

I always viewed the UED not as being 'worse than hitler', or the anti-UED alliance being based on the idea that UED would be worse tyrants than the Zerg or Mengsk.

It isn't any 'greater/lesser' evil, insomuch as a 'holy SHIT that's a big force....we're FUCKED!' mentality.

Ehh, it's kind of implied that the UED has to be worse than Hitler for any Protoss or Terran (other than a power-hungry dictator like Mengsk who just doesn't give a shit and will take any chance to be in charge again) to ally themselves with what are literally bug aliens that want to infest the universe, even if it does have a pretty face on it. Raynor doesn't have much of a reason to care (hell he'd probably prefer UED over Mengsk) and the Protoss are never really shown as being in conflict (though most would probably oppose controlling the Zerg rather than destroying them, they should be at least a little pragmatic about the fact). The only reason for anyone to ally with Kerrigan against the UED is if the UED are torching entire planets like the Protoss were or something.

Of course from the UED campaign's point of view the UED is pretty much the ultimate good guys who did everything right. Took out Mengsk and stopped the Terran infighting, Zerg BTFO, Protoss given a nice whipping when they interfered but otherwise left alone cause they're generally alright. It's not clear exactly how bad they were.

Johannes

Arcane
The UED woudln't have had what it takes to kill the Ancient Evil, so it's really fortunate that they lost. Kerrigan was right all along

It's really fucking awful. At least Horner gets to be a big shot now, like he totally didn't wanna be back in WoL. Some people are arguing shes still basically a God but "chooses" to be with Raynor, but at that point I literally can't take any more of this cheap cheesy soap opera bullshit so I am content with comparing it to FO4 instead. Oh, and the game also says that this was the last time anyone has ever seen Jim Raynor.

Clearly the whole trilogy was all just a daydream by Raynor after he passed out from drinking.

The UED woudln't have had what it takes to kill the Ancient Evil, so it's really fortunate that they lost. Kerrigan was right all along

Stukov could have kamehameha'ed if he tried hard enough.

Actually SC2 could have made more sense if you replaced Raynor and Kerrigan with Dugalle and Stukov. Yes, even the romance part.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
I hear it has co-op. Does that co-op work for Terran campaign too? Is it even a campaign co-op? I can't tell...

The Co-op is just a selection of missions based on some of the campaign maps with a few twists. You can choose from 6 different heros who each get a different mix of units and abilities, and they level up.

The harder difficulties are quite a lot of fun, I've been playing it a lot rather than 1v1. You should probably level up a character before having a go at hard difficulty though. It's multiplayer hard, not singleplayer hard.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Kerrigan ... make out with raynor?
oh come on. we all knew that would happen. after all you only truly love someone if she gets transformed into a scaly bitch with large fangs, murders billions of innocents across dozens of planets and you still get enough of a hard-on to transform her back .. twice!

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
You could predict this would end with shit. Wings. "I still love you! Fenix? Who is Fenix? My comrades? I don't know any... billions killed? Who? I don't know... I love you, Kerri!" Sad puppy Raynor. Then you have DRAGON BALL Z. And now... I SAVE GALAXY! ME STAR CHILD! And the ending is so bad in atmosphere. Where is the Blizzard touch?

Shitty plot. Shitty character motivations. No imagination.

rado907

Savant
Beat it... The last Protoss mission was a huge clusterfuck and not particularly original. On the other hand, the three missions of the epilogue campaign (one with each race) were great.
Toward the end the story went into epic overload. A teenager's wet dream. The dialogue was consistently lame and the characters were caricatures of themselves. Thematically, the conclusion was new-agey, koombaya, transhumanist and extra epic.

But, as a whole, in terms of gameplay, pacing, production values, challenge, and fun, the campaigns were excellent. Blizzard really made an effort here.

Good game. Now I'll try Fallout 4 lol.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I did something incredibly stupid. I had a mission under complete control in terms of Hybrid waves with static defenses. Then, I decided to explore the map, which lost units, and I further half assed several attacks, which lost even more units. The end result was that I was spending minerals on replacement units and static defenses. I made it to the final base and I my mineral lines were depleted and I needed more income to complete the final push.

I royally dicked myself over. Still enjoying the campaign though.

Stargazer_

It's a shame that the last mission is basically destroy these specific objects at these set locations with phoenix force Kerrigan. Overall worst than WoL but better than HotS, I felt the pacing was much better and missions were less generic than the ones in HotS but pretty generic compared to the ones in the base game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So before I got Void Ray missions were pretty tough on Hard and very fun. Since I got Void Ray ALL missions is just mass Void Ray -> A move to win. Yawn. It's a bit absurd really, even more broken than mass Muta was in Brood War and HotS.

Also it was expected LotV plot would be no-fun high-fantasy fare due to the ramrod, stuck up nature of the Protoss - in the words of a genius, "they talk like they shit marble" - but the writing is horrible beyond all expectation. As soon as those assholes start with their technobabble my eyes glaze over. The brief moments with Raynor were like a spring shower.

Last edited:

Keshik

Arcane
Fenix is pretty awesome as a call down, got him to kill most of Ma'alash's minions

Hordes of Void Rays and Centurions are working well for me, latter has that handy stun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom