Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

The reason they're doing that is so that existing players (because there are still a lot of them) aren't forced to basically relearn the game due to all of the animations being different. They talk about this in the interview.

Do people actually pay attention to animations when microing units? I always assumed it was a rhythm thing.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I wonder how hard it would be to learn a new hotkey scheme. Not having to 0p9p as Protoss sounds mighty tempting.

Black_Willow

Arcane
SC1 and Brood War had great dialogues, characters, cinematics and genuinely interesting plot, something oh so rare in RTS games. I hope they won't go all SC2 and screw it up royally.

EDIT:
I just want to post here the terran campaign ending cinematic because it's so awesome.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
SC1 and Brood War had great dialogues, characters, cinematics and genuinely interesting plot, something oh so rare in RTS games. I hope they won't go all SC2 and screw it up royally.

EDIT:
I just want to post here the terran campaign ending cinematic because it's so awesome.

Honestly, one of the greatest cutscenes of all time. It captures the perfect mood, emotion of how real human speeches were given and countries united. It language bears resemblence to the decleration of independence and other famous speeches to unite the people of earth. It's gives me chills to listen to arcturus speak, and it fires you up as a Terran.

THIS is what SC2 should have been about, the conflict both internally and externally between the three races, not some fucking estranged love connection between the most iconic characters.

Starcraft 1 and Brood War really had the perfect Sci-fi story. It had everything, courage, frustration dispair, hope, drama, betrayal, politics, human emotions and so on.. Still today it boggles me, how blizzard have not chosen to make a full cgi based on this, or something similar.

It totally shits on both warcrafts and diablos lore.

Starcraft 1 + BW was way way grittier and darker than SC2, it almost felt like a real sci-fi movie. Felt like a game that ties in with Aliens and mysterious predator like creatures. Characters were believeable, motives were cool and mysterious, political backstabbings on all that.

SC2 focused on what I call the "warcraft" phenonemon. Too focused on invididuals and overly expositionary.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Honestly, one of the greatest cutscenes of all time. It captures the perfect mood, emotion of how real human speeches were given and countries united. It language bears resemblence to the decleration of independence and other famous speeches to unite the people of earth. It's gives me chills to listen to arcturus speak, and it fires you up as a Terran.

THIS is what SC2 should have been about, the conflict both internally and externally between the three races, not some fucking estranged love connection between the most iconic characters.

Starcraft 1 and Brood War really had the perfect Sci-fi story. It had everything, courage, frustration dispair, hope, drama, betrayal, politics, human emotions and so on.. Still today it boggles me, how blizzard have not chosen to make a full cgi based on this, or something similar.

It totally shits on both warcrafts and diablos lore.
The reason why I did my part and went to watch Warcraft movie in the cinema is so one day we can get a Starcraft movie and it will need to be based on SC1 so no shitty love story being in the focus.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

EDIT:

To think how Chris Metzen managed to get from this to nuBlizzard trash is still quite mind boggling.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Dunno, looking at the first screenshots, I don't think much good will come out of this. One of the beautiful things about the original starcraft visuals - perhaps by intent, perhaps by tech limitations - is how gritty it was. That's why from the first glance at the SC II previews and promo art you could've told it would be shit - in SC, dudes were just dudes. Average looking slobs. They weren't the movie-starrish effeminate prettyboys. They weren't the supposed to be masculine over'roided bodybuilders. They were some random mostly white trash, caught in the gears of war.

Same grittyness applied to the protoss & zerg. The zerg are obviously meant to be repulsive, but protoss weren't faring much better with those cratered slimy faces and the mystical auras that looked more unhealthy than charming. Not to mention that their designs got much less freaky - i.e., stalkers & ancients lack that unnerving dragoon movement and no reavers.

It's one of the things which are totally lost on the nu-age faggotish designers - everything isn't supposed to look pretty, everything isn't meant to be glamorous. Like, in those new screenshots, everything is shiny, everything is new, everything is corrosion-free. It's not as bad as the kiddy toyish look from SC 2, but it's still jarring. The terrans are meant to be fucking rednecks, dusty, grimy and unkempt. The protoss need to be alien and, to a certain degree, too ancient for their own good. Decrepit. The zerg just need to be godawful ugly because that's what they are.

But we live in an era of man- and womyn-childre designers so all hope is lost.

Grif

Learned

EDIT:

To think how Chris Metzen managed to get from this to nuBlizzard trash is still quite mind boggling.

Metzen got the Lucas syndrome. He started huffing on the fumes of his own success after the combined smash hits that was Starcraft, Warcraft III and Diablo 2. Predictably, it went downhill just as quickly.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Excellent post, Popeamole II.

That being said however, the HD remaster still looks faithful enough to not get me into a blood rage. As faithful as higher resolutions allow. Might as well still switch down to SD resolution if I feel like getting eye cancer from the crispy visuals.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Might as well still switch down to SD resolution
I actually hope the remaster includes a button for this like the Halo Anniversary Editions.

It will. They already confirmed it will have.

I think the visual look nice. That's what you get when you've been staring at 2d sprites for 20 years. Obviously, retouched 2d/3d models will look more "clunky" compared to gritty 2d pixels and sprites, that's how its always been.

I think it's doesnt look bad, actually quite good. Perhaps it could use abit more gritt in places.

Keppo

Arbiter
Huh, part of me is thinking that some people crying about how SC2 is dying (in competitive format), their Dota clone bombing and Overwatch not having legs have a point and this might be another Blizzard's attempt to get back into competitive gaming scene.

Pretty much this. Blizzard is desperate for esports scene. HotS big failure, casual shit, dead. Dota 2 their competetive scene is smaller and smaller. Overwatch is just a mess, too much chaos for good esport game, nobody will watch this shit. Starcraft II is dead

Every modern Blizzard attempt to make good competitive game is failure, so yeah Starcraft I is their best shot, because game is actually good and well balanced, made by old better Blizzard.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I believe Blizzard only confirmed that you can switch between Widescreen and 4:3 on the fly, not between SD and HD versions.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/520464-an-interview-with-the-devs-of-starcraft-remastered

"Are there any plans to make BW and SC:R compatible? If gameplay is designed to be identical between both games, can players choose to play BW and SC:R and play against each other? Would replays be playable in both graphic modes?"

"Players will be able to connect and play, watch replays, or share saved games seamlessly between free Brood War, and the SC:R upgrade. It’s all the same client! Each player and observer in the game can opt to play in standard or high def individually, and you can switch instantly and seamlessly at the press of a button right inside the game or while watching a replay."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBLv0qrDQcA

Minute: 6:14, he explicitly says, you can switch between SD and HD.

So yes, very much confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
wait, if SC goes free and they made it working on new oses with latest patch, there is no reason to purchase the remaster

ArchAngel

Arcane
wait, if SC goes free and they made it working on new oses with latest patch, there is no reason to purchase the remaster
Remaster will have HD graphics, new additions between campaign missions and new automatic matchmaking as well as ability to Spectate or watch replays in HD

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Matchmaking has to be the same on both versions if there is cross-play

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

ArchAngel

Arcane
Matchmaking has to be the same on both versions if there is cross-play
No it does not need to be. You can play cross play through custom games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom