Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are maps with infinite resources but not in the classic Blizzard set up, those are custom maps and I think you have to play them in the Arcade.

UserNamer

Cipher
I don't believe in story in the sense that it can be bad or underdeveloped if the gameplay is good enough. But with starcraft 2 and the expansion I always got the impression that the story was not merely bad, but so outrageously puerile and retarded that it becomes an actual flaw.

I already had a very bad experience with diablo 3, which I played to completion (ie normal), and I think I more than met my quota of bad blizzard plots for a lifetime (diablo 3 had other flaws though like an underdeveloped gameplay and difficulty\challenge factor in exchange for a slot machine\auction house experience)

Zeriel

Arcane
So I was trolling placement matches, and this... thing... happened. I don't want to say very much, because seeing this happen in real time is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I wish to share that joy with you.

http://sc2share.com/BEZ

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I was trolling placement matches, and this... thing... happened. I don't want to say very much, because seeing this happen in real time is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I wish to share that joy with you.

http://sc2share.com/BEZ

Can you upload it to youtube or something, my prated version stopped working with the new update.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Alright I finished the campaign today.

Goddamn you Blizzard. What a painstakingly inane plot. Some nice missions here and there, but overall a stupid game that drifted way too far off from the gritty original. They should let the Starcraft universe now die and just do fluffy bears and green orks instead.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
uhh, what you call inane the industry calls AAA+ writing pleb. And let the Universe die? are you crazy?
Maybe after 3 games and an MMO, not sooner.

Eddard Stark

Educated
But the same people who worked on SC1 also worked on SC2. What the hell went wrong?

Chris Metzen. The guy pulls all the strings and calls the shots on anything story-related at Blizzard. He is essentially a failed comic book writer which is by itself kinda the lowest of the low, so retarded plots, world cheesiest dialogues and ludicrous one-dimensional characters shouldn't come as a surprise. My guess would be that after the successes of SC1 (which was relatively interesting imo) & WC3 (bearable to a degree, at least in comparison with recent Blizzard), where he had some boundaries and/or stronger support writers, he then got full control plus came to a silly notion he had some real talent = we got D3 and SC2+, need I say more.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
But the same people who worked on SC1 also worked on SC2.

Not really. The lead for SC2 for instance is the guy who did those shitty C&C Generals games.

Meanwhile, they get Jay Wilson (the lead of Dawn of War) to do a Diablo game. Great management, Blizzard. You fucks.

The people who did SC1 have been missing in action for a long time now. Pardo was the leader for Brood War, Warcraft III and WoW. He also had no hands on either SC2 or Diablo 3. Probably working on the new MMO, if even that.

And yes, fucking Metzen is the biggest problem with Blizzard now. Jesus Christ what a fuck wit. The thing is that he wasn't actually all that bad originally. He just ran out of ideas after Starcraft and has been writing shit ever since. Abysmal, embarrassing shit that would make even Bethesda blush in horror.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm gonna stay clear from future Blizztard games unless Metzen's involvement is kept out or to a bare minimum.

Fat chance. He is vice president of "creative development", whatever the fuck that means. Either way, he is part of the higher echelons of Blizzard now.

Johannes

Arcane
Is there a corner of the internet somewhere, where people actually like the SC2 story? Even on Teamliquid the consensus is that the story part of the game is ridiculous trash.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I don't care about story in games like Diablo and Starcraft but I don't think it is too much to ask basic competency, specially after millions being thrown away in retarded cutscenes. Chris Metzen put his brain on a freezer and forgot it there because you must be completely braindead to create something like Starcraft 2 story. Blizzard did way better when the plots were: "Dude, go kill evil demon." and "let's ripoff Warhammer 40K as much as we can". After some point, Chris Metzen started thinking that he was important and everyone played Blizzard games because of their great story so he thought he should add emotional engaging but being even worse at it than Bioware.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Blizzard did way better when the plots were: "Dude, go kill evil demon." and "let's ripoff Warhammer 40K as much as we can".

Incorrect. Blizzard hasn't changed anything in the way they do things, its just that they actually did it better before Metzen was given complete creative control (and one would assume when his input was still under professional scrutiny). Both Warcraft II and Starcraft are the very definition of good for what it is. The setting was good, the humor was on the mark, the "borrowings" were done tastefully and had their own unique creative touch. Sometimes they even achieved moments of true brilliance, like in some of the Starcraft cinematics.

Then, Warcraft III comes out and all of a sudden everything turns to shit to the point you can barely believe this was done by a professional company. And the shittiness is completely uniform, and its patently obvious that every creative aspect of the game was authored by a single individual. Even the cinematics were full of derp. And its been getting derpier and derpier with each new release.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Blizzard did way better when the plots were: "Dude, go kill evil demon." and "let's ripoff Warhammer 40K as much as we can".

Incorrect. Blizzard hasn't changed anything in the way they do things, its just that they actually did it better before Metzen was given complete creative control (and one would assume when his input was still under professional scrutiny). Both Warcraft II and Starcraft are the very definition of good for what it is. The setting was good, the humor was on the mark, the "borrowings" were done tastefully and had their own unique creative touch. Sometimes they even achieved moments of true brilliance, like in some of the Starcraft cinematics.

Then, Warcraft III comes out and all of a sudden everything turns to shit to the point you can barely believe this was done by a professional company. And the shittiness is completely uniform, and its patently obvious that every creative aspect of the game was authored by a single individual. Even the cinematics were full of derp. And its been getting derpier and derpier with each new release.
Diablo and Starcraft had very simple storylines if you discount things like the manual and books that don't have anything to do with the game anyway. I don't know if Blizzard ineptitude at writing come from Metzen full control or it was there since the beginning but before there wasn't this push for emotional engaging cinematic action that exist today and before everything was more abstracted so there was less room for epic failure in the story department. All the worst aspects of Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 comes from: 1)fan service, 2)failed attempts of emotional engaging and 3)convoluted silly plotwists in an attempt of the writers to be more clever than they can be. The same sins that plague Bioware. I believe that is the same thing that happened to Bioware happened to Blizzard, with more money, technology and this ridiculous trend of games as art, shitty writers become even more exposed in their shitness than before as they get out of restrains that kept the level of shit under control.

pan

Learned
All the worst aspects of Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 comes from: 1)fan service, 2)failed attempts of emotional engaging and 3)convoluted silly plotwists

Those aspects account for 100% of those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom