Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RTS Starcraft 2 goes free to play

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Venser, Nov 3, 2017.

1. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    It is still not clear for me, when SC2 will go free then ALL players will be able to play online with ALL units, meaning all three expansions included or they could only play online with WoL units? And only single-player campaign will be restricted?

^ Top  
  3. tmuxgender: ⚧ Educated

tmux
    Parrots:
    You're not being charged money but ti doesn't mean it's "free", you still have to install Blizzard's proprietary spyware in order to play. Then you're milked for way more than the game is worth. And at any rate, they've probably figured out that whoever wanted to buy the game already has, so they might as well try sucking in a few more losers with the promise of a "free" game.

^ Top  
  4. Martiusgender: ⚧ Savant

Martius
    Parrots:
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/21173629/starcraft-ii-going-free-to-play-explained-11-3-2017
    I guess whole multiplayer will be free, I am just not sure how it will work in practice. I thought multiplayer is still divided in three version unless I missed some merge?

^ Top  
  5. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Wow. EU havemore players than Korea? David Kim surely worked hard to get SC2 here.
    [​IMG]

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    I really tried enjoying ordering every single command individually, clicking on every unit production building separately and fighting my own units on where the fuck they should be going while only being able to select 12 of them at a time. I tried to get into mindset that says this is RTS gameplay perfection but I'm just too much of a pleb for it and probably only gonna keep SC R for campaign and occasional skirmish, not MP. I cannot play my keyboard like a fucking piano and thus I'll stick with dumb casual RTS with convenient controls.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    just stop bein casul dude

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    This is how to get your free HotS if you own WoL:

^ Top  
  9. Rahdulangender: ⚧ Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    Good. Now I just wait for a decent sale on Legacy of the Void so I can finish the story proper.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Can't you ,you know just sail your yacht in the bay?!

^ Top  
  11. Dzupakazulgender: ⚧ Learned

Dzupakazul
    Parrots:
    This isn't bad news. I feel like I got my money's worth from SC2, and now I can play it with some people as an introductory RTS (the co-op mode is pretty fun too).

Campaign might have a pretty shitty story, but I mostly just overlooked it and flexed mechanics on the vast wealth of missions from WoL, which were generally pretty good.

Though notably, after SC2 on Brutal, I'm now playing WC3 on Hard and that is way, way harder, though I have comparatively much less WC3 experience, so that might contribute.

And it's still pretty engaging to play on ladder.

^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again Multidirectionalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Multidirectional
    Parrots:
    So, any Bronze/Silver/Gold newbs here? Nobody wants to get together for this shit? We've been climbing 3v3 ladder with couple people yesterday, having lots of fun.

^ Top  
  13. Rahdulangender: ⚧ Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    I have no idea why you can't buy individual expansions anymore through the store, only in-game. LotV goes for 15€, for example. You just need to download 24GBs for the privilege of purchasing it.

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Because you cannot download only LotV anyways. You will always get WoL as well since it is free to everyone now. I guess they assume if you want to buy it you want it also installed anyways.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)