Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

starcraft 2 beta motherfuckers

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So what do you beta guys think about the music? How does it work ingame? Ive listened to a few terran samples and I would lie if I say I wasn't dissapointed a bit.

Most tracks just seem to countrylike/relaxed. I liked the Terran Theme 02 quite a bit though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXlVIwOetsE

It mixes the relaxed country feeling with a bit of space epicness at 1:10 when those Tuba like (? fuck, I know shit about music instruments) sounds start to kick in and at the end of the song (from 3:03 onwards ) we get this classical fast "techno" part that is very reminiscent of the SC1 soundtrack.

I didn't like the rest of the terran songs too much though.

Also, compare the menu themes from SC 1 and SC 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOeDnwHZp1Q

SC 1 has this minimalist, eerie, mysterious background theme that really helped to create a unique atmosphere.

SC 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SzPFx03PA

This sounds like a bad mix of Oblivion, Star Wars and World of Warcraft. Generic epicness. I hate how Blizzard overuses choirs for their music and videos ever since the Broodwar Intro...

:?

Castanova

Prophet
Finally got a key yesterday (I'm on the US server).

SC2 Beta with beta being the operative word!

You have to play 10 placement matches first and then based on your performance it puts you into one of the divisions: copper, bronze, silver, gold, platinum – copper being total nubs, obviously. I get on there, start up my first game. I scout out my opponent and quickly realize he’s a total nub so I throw down extra Barracks, mass some marines, and send in my army with an SCV to build a bunker in the guy’s base. I dominate his “army”, throw down a bunker, it’s GG now, and then BOOM – game crashes. I get a loss. I had heard there’s a “drop hack” which people use to cheat with and it seemed convenient I got dropped just as I was killing him. Anyway, I go back in and it happens twice more. I get matched up with a total nub, I’m about to kill him, and then the game crashes. So, now I’ve lost 3 placement matches against total nubs.

I go on the forums, do like an hour of reading until I finally find a possible solution to a technical issue. I implement the solution and it seems to work. I get matched up with 4 consecutive nubs, some more nub-ish than others, and win all 4 games. Now I’m 4-3, should be 7-0! Then, I lose a really stupid game to a cheese strategy that really shouldn’t have worked except the dude got super lucky with timing and spawn points. 4-4. I win the next 2 placement matches against more nubs to end up with 6-4.

Stupid ass thing places me in the bronze league thanks to all those crashes! I play my first actual match and lose fair and square – I tried to fast tech to air and the guy broke through my nearly non-existent defenses. Oh well. Then I win 3 in a row against some bad-but-not-total-nub players. I’m 9-5.

I start up another game, I’m winning pretty easily and BOOM. Another crash. I check my system monitor program and my video card is overheating at like 71 degrees Celsius. I do so more research, discover it’s probably my video card drivers, so I update those and call it a night.

9-6. Should be 13-2, possibly 14-1 if didn’t have bad luck. /sigh

Seriously mang, what kind of shitty post was that? Who the fuck cares how many crashes you had and how many matches you did win/lose.

How about some actual feedback about the game itself?

Monocause

Arcane
I don't know how did you do it, Casta. I had, like, two that surely were not caused by any hacks. Happened to me once that I was owning someone and the game crashed very conveniently for him, but it didn't even cross my mind that it might've been deliberate.

Perhaps the US gateway sucks. People I've met on Euro played fair.

Castanova

Prophet
@ Tales: :lol:

@ Monocause: No, I only thought it was a hack the first time but after it happened 3 times in a row, I found that it was a technical issue which I resolved after reading the tech support forums. I don't believe anyone hacked me.

My feedback on the game is that it's kind of like a hybrid between SC1 and Warcraft 3. First off, the UI changes and all that are a real improvement. I think it's dumb that people are against UI improvements to "separate the pros from the nubs."

I was never a great SC1 player but I did play it a lot casually. In SC2, it feels like the game is more about map control, though. For each match-up, I don't feel like there is tons of leeway in terms of unit composition. It's more about scouting the opponent, tweaking your unit composition slightly based on his army, and then either out-expanding him or letting him spend money to expand and then attack while he's weaker. Most matches I play/watch, end up with very standard army builds.

It also feels like a less aggressive game than SC1 but maybe that's because it's still so early on.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Ah yes, because we all know that giving a shit whether nine drones harvesting at your main is 3.651% more effective over the course of the average game length of twenty-two minutes fifty-one seconds ROYALLY TRUMPS your ten drone early natural expansion blah blah homogay OH NO MUTALISKS buttfucking faggotry KEKEKE ZERGLING RUSH korean pro clicking 300 times a minute total fucking FAPFAP AGHRGHRJGLRghLKRNKJRRjkjrnR

Pros don't play Relic games, they are fun in concept but "balance" is a concept entirely foreign to that company. Also they only release patches when they make new expansions, and said expansions always introduce at least as many bugs and issues as the last patch removed.

/bitter CoH player

Castanova

Prophet
Sovard said:
Ah yes, because we all know that giving a shit whether nine drones harvesting at your main is 3.651% more effective over the course of the average game length of twenty-two minutes fifty-one seconds ROYALLY TRUMPS your ten drone early natural expansion blah blah homogay OH NO MUTALISKS buttfucking faggotry KEKEKE ZERGLING RUSH korean pro clicking 300 times a minute total fucking FAPFAP AGHRGHRJGLRghLKRNKJRRjkjrnR

Sorry, but even a child could memorize the number of workers it takes to saturate a given spawn/expansion location. Now, let me give this a try:

Ah yes, because we all know that giving a shit whether one of your units is 1, 2, or 3 pixels away from the closest enemy BLAH BLAH HOMOGAY OH NO BUTTFUCK FAGGOTRY CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK MICRO MICRO MICRO MICRO ASdsahdsakdsadHSAdoiahdOHRWAE

2 workers per mineral patch. Past that, you gain a max of like 5% efficiency. SC1 had a much more granular curve, but you pretty much always wanted more workers anyway.

lol relic balance. DoW is the consoletard of the RTS genre.

1eyedking

Erudite
herostratus said:
Pros don't play Relic games, they are fun in concept but "balance" is a concept entirely foreign to that company. Also they only release patches when they make new expansions, and said expansions always introduce at least as many bugs and issues as the last patch removed.

/bitter CoH player
Past 1.71 CoH went to shit. And even at 1.71 Pio rush and Allied halftrack AA rush were hell.

RTS games aren't really my cup of tea but I remember really liking CoH for the ability to do things like set up crossfires and stuff (also, <3 destructible environment, I think someone around here once noted it would be a great engine for an X-com game). Anyway, me and a buddy used to play the AI a lot, and I remember one time we applied the latest patch and started a game of us vs... 2 or 3 hard AI and 1 AI on the hardest setting I think. We quickly rushed out and built an extensive labyrinth of barbed wire and tank traps and started to cement our map control.

As I am surveying my side of the defenses, suddenly I see an unarmed Allied half track in the middle of my defensive area on my minimap (a big red dot in what was supposed to be a no mans land). I look over and this fucking half track is mushifying my tank traps instantly as if it was a King Tiger or Pershing. Soon a jeep starts doing the same thing. I yell at my buddy, OOOOOOHHHHH FUUUUUUUUCK. We've been turtling this entire time, and the AI cheats pretty hard, so it's got like a fuckload of lol-smoke energy shield Sherman tank calliopes (normal tanks, except shermans were OP with smoke they could shoot perfectly out of but wouldn't take hits, and then on top of that you could get the rocket launcher attachment on them - at one point I don't think this ability even cost anything to use). It was pretty funny at the time though, to see this little scouting unit all by itself ignoring tank traps and destroying them instantly without even being slowed down and basically completely bone our entire strategy. Not even a minute after our elaborate defenses got steam rolled, the rape train of calliope tanks rolls in and eliminates us in like 5 minutes.

Point is, this patch occurred maybe half way through the game's life and stayed around for like a month or maybe longer. Even scrubs like us knew Relic sucked at patching - stuff was always breaking that worked fine before.

I have to take back my initial critique of the terran music. I've watched a few matches on youtube with background music, and it really seems to work ingame. Most tracks are pretty neat (especially terran themes nr 1 and 2).

The main menu theme still sucks major ass though :x

kris

Arcane
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I have to take back my initial critique of the terran music. I've watched a few matches on youtube with background music, and it really seems to work ingame. Most tracks are pretty neat (especially terran themes nr 1 and 2).

firefly inspired... That is my notion of terran music

relootz

Scholar
server reset and your account gets removed hence my name now

meleongrayza.meleongrayza

Castanova

Prophet
Hah, after the reset I went 5-0 in the placement matches and it stuck me in a platinum division. Two wins and one loss later, I'm ranked #21 or somesuch. What's up now!!!!

I played one guy who was in the Gold league who was Protoss (I was Terran) who didn't know that (a) Vikings hit Collossi and (b) Immortals counter Marauders.

Something tells me I won't be Platinum once the real game comes out ;)

pocahaunted

Arcane
The new placement is such crap, I got stuck in gold after being rushed after the Terran nerf, my BO was fucked.

Also, have you noticed how the new bonus points work? Getting massive point losses. :oops:

Castanova

Prophet
Fairly confident that you don't lose any extra points when you lose if you have bonus points available. If that's happening to you, it sounds like a bug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom