Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

starcraft 2 beta motherfuckers

pocahaunted

Arcane
Castanova said:
Fairly confident that you don't lose any extra points when you lose if you have bonus points available. If that's happening to you, it sounds like a bug.

True, but before the patch I'd have like 600 points in my bonus pool, yet now it barely gets over 10 and is thus drained pretty easily after a couple of games.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Malakal said:
Stoiv said:
Too bad DOW2 was shit.

Unfortunately true. Even Bugstorm was better.

Depends on what you were after. If you were looking for a full blown RTS like the first DOW - yeah it blew. They switched genres on ya. Once I got over that and accepted the game as a squad based, tactical ARPG, I enjoyed it quite a lot and Chaos Rising is pretty fun too (so far).... Yeah ok, it's good for what it is.

Sovard said:
Ah yes, because we all know that giving a shit whether nine drones harvesting at your main is 3.651% more effective over the course of the average game length of twenty-two minutes fifty-one seconds ROYALLY TRUMPS your ten drone early natural expansion blah blah homogay OH NO MUTALISKS buttfucking faggotry KEKEKE ZERGLING RUSH korean pro clicking 300 times a minute total fucking FAPFAP AGHRGHRJGLRghLKRNKJRRjkjrnR

Don't you just love it when people have the courtesy to word their posts in a way that convenientally labels them as 'please ignore me, I am retarded'. :D

pocahaunted

Arcane
^

Just keep on spamming, when I first tried logging in I was getting the same message but it eventually went away and I was able to login.

Castanova said:
You do realize the ladder got reset, right?

Obviously. When I first created my account I started off with 500 bonus points as default and when I did it after the reset I started out with barely 10 -- plus, there's barely any information as to how these points work.

Castanova

Prophet
pocahaunted said:
Obviously. When I first created my account I started off with 500 bonus points as default and when I did it after the reset I started out with barely 10 -- plus, there's barely any information as to how these points work.

That's because when you got your first account, the beta had been going on for some time already.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Castanova said:
pocahaunted said:

That's because when you got your first account, the beta had been going on for some time already.

Yeah, guess that makes some sense, so new people would have a chance to play catch up -- still, seeing as you're placed in divisions with new people, who all have the deafult score of 1000 when it's created, isn't it pointless as you'll not be competing in the other ladders?

Oh well, who cares, eh?

Castanova

Prophet
Blizzard wants you to believe that your rating is meaningful so they have to give new players a bonus pool. Otherwise later divisions will have lower ratings than earlier divisions, as you said.

Divisions seem quite strange so far. I'm like #40 in my platinum league right now and whenever I get a tough match it's against someone who's, like, top 5 in a gold division. My easier matches are against other platinum players who are ranked lower.

kris

Arcane
Castanova said:
Blizzard wants you to believe that your rating is meaningful so they have to give new players a bonus pool. Otherwise later divisions will have lower ratings than earlier divisions, as you said.

Divisions seem quite strange so far. I'm like #40 in my platinum league right now and whenever I get a tough match it's against someone who's, like, top 5 in a gold division. My easier matches are against other platinum players who are ranked lower.

That is likely also because of the reset ladder. Everyone is just put in a division which is heavily dependent on who they met in those few ranking games.

relootz

Scholar
Fucking annoys me that i keep loosing to people who are mechanically a lot worse then me, i tech i keep my money low but then i get rolled by PvP with a void ray rush, or a stupid fucking noob who goes 1 base roaches and keeps on making those roaches.

Pisses me off.

I just dont know what i do wrong sometimes, i keep my money low and i tech good and i expand good too, so what the fuck am i loosing games versus morons. :roll:

Obviously i am a bad player, no need to say that again.

I just want to become a player who beats all the bad players.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, the other pieces would be good micro (And at the low level good micro means using abilities and targeting casters first more than dancing units and sending wounded back for healing/repair) and recon/strategy (One is useless without the other.) Knowing when, where and with what to attack is as important as how to make the army you need to do it in a timely fashion. Key things to check in particular are anti air ability, anti cloak ability, and vulnerability of workers to harassment (I.E. his army is too slow/far away to respond before you can get some kills and escape). And obviously checking to see if he's focusing on one of those 3 weaknesses you might have. If you ever have a 'spare' moment, grab a fast unit and check out the map, even if you already checked everywhere. Remember energy is a resource too; casters waiting with full energy pools are wasting the energy they could be recovering.

kris

Arcane
relootz said:
Fucking annoys me that i keep loosing to people who are mechanically a lot worse then me, i tech i keep my money low but then i get rolled by PvP with a void ray rush, or a stupid fucking noob who goes 1 base roaches and keeps on making those roaches.

Pisses me off.

I just dont know what i do wrong sometimes, i keep my money low and i tech good and i expand good too, so what the fuck am i loosing games versus morons. :roll:

I get the impression you lack in scouting.
Personally I most often lose because I miss something vital, like collecting gas at my exp or leaving my back open.

relootz

Scholar
kris said:
relootz said:

Pisses me off.

I get the impression you lack in scouting.
Personally I most often lose because I miss something vital, like collecting gas at my exp or leaving my back open.

Well i have researched it a bit. I had a lack of really knowing the hard counters in this game but now i have read a bit and now know them.

Scouting is hard as you well know because almost everybody goes 1 base wall, i mostly try to go wall at my natural if possible and always wall versus zerg on every map because of the zerglings.

It's just hard to make some choices. If i built a robotics do i go for obs first or immortal(marauders/tanks)? Or do i tech to colossus(marines)? You also need to scout the map well because on our level a lot of players like to hidden expand.

Also its annoying if the opponent does a reaver haress because you need stalkers for that and then changes to Marauders/Thor/Siege Tank, a direct counter to those Stalkers.

I really need to pay more attention to my minimap.

relootz

Scholar
Something is very wrong with the matchmaking.

I am in Bronze and not even well ranked and i was placed against a Gold player and was the favourite (!) and defeated him, only to gain 8 points.

I dont understand how it could place my against someone who is 2 ladders higher...

Something is broken it seems.

relootz

Scholar
I had 980 points in Bronze and that guy the same in Gold.

It doesn't make any sense.

Destroid

Arcane
TeamLiquid.net:
So how is the balance at release?

Liquid`Tyler:
It's good but not perfect. It is a lot better than vanilla SC2 though. I feel the most important thing is that this mod rewards skill, not metagame. I felt I was getting no benefit from being a highly skilled player at SC2. I was losing games to players with terrible skills because they massed the right unit and a-moved. This game injects the skill back into SC II that was missing.

TeamLiquid.net:
Will everyone like this mod?

Liquid`Tyler:
Smart people will. I think almost all the Americans will quickly move to this. The Koreans too will understand that this improves the game. Some cheesy players, eastern Europeans and south Americans will probably not like it. Anyone with an understanding of the game will like it.

:smug:

Castanova

Prophet
From my limited experience, it seems like it's more important to be highly ranked in your division compared to which TYPE of division you're in. The top 10 Gold players I play are consistently better than the #50-100 Platinum players, sometimes by orders of magnitude. Maybe that's just a condemnation of how slow the system is to promote/demote you.

relootz

Scholar
Castanova said:
From my limited experience, it seems like it's more important to be highly ranked in your division compared to which TYPE of division you're in. The top 10 Gold players I play are consistently better than the #50-100 Platinum players, sometimes by orders of magnitude. Maybe that's just a condemnation of how slow the system is to promote/demote you.

A fair assumption but as i have said, this doesnt make any sense in my case and in the case of the gold guy.

The guy told me he played versus platinum a lot too.

And then he had to play me and i was favourite.

Blizzard matchmaking works in mysterious ways.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Got the key, played my first game, found out I really suck. With exams there is not too much time to play.

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
I have my key now, where are the fellow codexers that play on US?

Zerg player here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom