Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finally coming to your senses I see.
Diffirence is, I'm bitching about stupid changes, not about the game not being something it was never meant to be.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've played a few hours of this since 1.0 (after playing something like 90 odd several years ago when the game was still in development) and yeah, I think I'm just gonna stop. It's not very entertaining or engaging.

Maybe if they make Starbound 1.5 or whatever it might be worth playing, but so far it still feels half-baked.

I agree with the above poster who said it was clear the development team stopped caring, it's actually kind of sad how obvious it is.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Only because you can't dig deep anymore because there arent any picks gawdihateitsomuch

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am really enjoying this game.

But I must add that I have played Terraria for maybe 3 minutes, and hadn't played Starbound before 1.0.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Like every indie hipster imbeciles, they made tons of cash with a broken designed game in EA for 1 gazilion years.

1) Food on Survival and Farming. Food should be hard to get to promote farming and is needed by character needs. Well they made possible to use the bow or even better the spears to get unlimited meat from mobs, which makes farming pointless, which also makes half of the building outposts on planet useless, beside the colony thing == no idea on design or progression.

1.1) The Outpost: I can buy food and health, then wtf is the point, also healing kits are so easy to make.

2) Colonies, cute on paper and the only reason to build something, but beside quests and those tiny pixel rewards they are pretty pointless. A complex colony system wouldve make the game quite nice, due to multiple planets exploration.

- Imagine providing needs to these people, they would have jobs(produce stuff for you and colony), they could be attack,ed some random shit factions that you pissed off, etc, etc. Lots of potential wasted here that couldve saved the game if it wasn't for pretentious stupid hipsters and 2 years old kids that like minecraft.

3) Crafting is absolutely garbage, it makes no sense most of the time and they removed lots of recipes which should be basic, eg Pick Axe, wtf?

4) Planets should be unique in resources, not all have everything ffs + 1 tier. Some dungeons are nice, but overall planets are boring, go mine stuff, pillage if any and ... repeat

There is no proper progression on crafting and building which are the main points of the game along with exploration which is made poorly. Also the weapons drops sometimes unbalanced the game completly and make also again the crafting pointless...Huge potential but completely wasted due to zero knowledge of design. Fuck this guys, and their fans.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
All of those were there in the beta. This is probably the first game in history where the early access turned out to be better than the final game

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Video is spot on. Lazy design, not sure wtf took all this time.

Some info: Terraria was only in development for about five months (January to May 2011) before it was released for sale on Steam. Yet all the hipster Starbound defenders keep comparing Starbound launch to Terraria launch. Starbound has been in development for four or five years. The last major update to Terraria (boss content-wise) was in 2015. So the two games have had equal amounts of development time but Terraria has about ten times the content. More, actually.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Then go play Terraria or metal gear x or what the fuck ever faget.

Stop comparing them.

Turjan

Arcane
Is Tweed's characterization of the story correct? You fight for diversity and against an evil human supremacist, but the first thing this human supremacist does is destroy Earth? Does this make sense on some level that escapes me?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I haven't gotten far enough but I know it starts with tentacles oh god its heavan :mhd:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is Tweed's characterization of the story correct? You fight for diversity and against an evil human supremacist, but the first thing this human supremacist does is destroy Earth? Does this make sense on some level that escapes me?
I finished it. Yes, it's that dumb.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I have recently finished Terraria for the first time. Then I remembered that I still have Starbound installed and not touched for one year, even though I was just 1 mission away from reaching the end. I could only faintly remember why I abandoned the game, so I decided to restart it and play it as a sandbox space adventure game. Heck, their latest 1.3 release even have mechs in it!

A few hours later...I realized why this game is no Terraria. The control alone is pure torture especially coming fresh from Terraria. Movements are super slippery, fall damage is lethal, weapon and enemy hitboxes are wonky. The game boasts of infinite planets and tons of biome to explore, but they are all essentially the same thing just with a different item requirement (cooling/heating/etc.) to survive. The game feels very unpolished in QoL matters; there isn't even a sorting function for containers.

What really killed my mood to play the game anymore is today I realize that I can easily move to a coordinate a few millions of in game space-units away, yet planets there still have exactly the same trees, terrain, creatures, plant/produce, ruins, etc. What is even the point of having such as huge universe if everything is literally 99% the same?

If you play the game purely for building stuff then it could be fun though. Personally I am not the kind of person who likes building spectecular shit in sandboxes (even though I do love city building games), and what further killed my interest in building stuff in this game is that it is impossible to feel attached to any single planet. Nothing feels like "home" since all planets/stars/systems are completely expendable/ignorable. There is no point of building anything on anywhere (aside from your ship) since you will ditch that place after a few minutes of walking in one direction anyway.

I can't believe that I laughed at people playing No Man's Sky, but have actually wasted in total 46 hours on this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game is beyond fixing. It's not meant to be Terraria but a scam cash-in by Terraria's artist that ropes in the shitty uguuuuuuu crowd that likes playing house. All of the games mechanics, level design, itemization, environments, etc. are universally horrible.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Notice how all the latest patches are either cannibalized assets from earlier or pointless gimmick features. That's because their only competent programmer left, so all they have is a bunch of numale "artists" now.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished Terraria and Starbound:

Terraria:
- better progression. You don't "feel" tiers despite all weapons and armor being tiered like in SB.
- invasions once in a while
- horrible crafting UI. Seriously you spend more time trying to find what you want to craft than playing the game.
- i kind of like idea of sets but at the same time those bonuses are way to good to ignore them if you want fashion game.
- accessories system is better than starbound tech. More fun.
- joke enemies. Way to many.
- money system attached to npcs you can find and is better than pixels system in SB
- better bosses

Starbound:
- customization in this game is insane and building stuff is way superior to Terraria and easier to use (just left-right click for foreground background)
- graphically Starbound is light years ahead of Terraria. It is a joy compared to Terraria to build stuff.
- as of 1.3 Combat is better in Starbound. It used to suck a lot, variety of guns with different movesets and special attacks, and whole plethora of various types of weapons, shields with ability to pull off perfect blocks like in fighting games etc.
- better level design when it comes to dungeons
- build in mod support from get go (FreckinUniverse etc.)
- dual hands

Overall imo Starbound got very close recently to Terraria in therms of being good game. They just have different focus. Starbound more on sandbox gameplay, creating stuff, building etc. while Terraria on combat with bosses and more linear but imo better approach to game progression.

Starbound is game where you just fuck around while story and progression is second place.
Terraria is game where you always constantly look at next challenge.

If you count mods then Starbound with FreackinUniverse mod takes it for me. FU fixes mostly SB flaws like locking planets behind res system. In vanilla SC you can't visit planet without full protection, in FU you can just with problems. FU also almost doubles amount of content in game and rebalances a lot most of the things in game.

Perkel

Arcane
Decided to give it a go for proper play-trough for Frackin Universe mod. I finished only vanilla Starbound back when it had shit combat pre 1.3. We will see how it improved. Despite the fact that FU improves a lot base game mechanics it doesn't remove some of mechanics i don't like. Like whole shebang with free food from hunting bows etc. So i decided to not use those mechanics i don't like and focus on Hardcore playtrough so my equipment will be gone when i am dead so i need to think about making a lot more stuff than just 1 of each. Finding some cool armor or weapon could be interesting but if i will be dead then they are gone. So i have to focus more on craft-able weapons and such.
Also i heard FU got huge update and changed a lot so i will test that too.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok i spend about 5 hours with it and i must say i am impressed so far with Starbound + Frackin universe.

Main changes:
- You can customize your ship from get go (though if you don't like it you can choose vanilla ship upgrade system)
- Initial missions are different, you don't need miners mission to get FTL or Breathing pack.
- Most of frackin schematics are on their own workbenches.
- Ton of interesting stuff like subcomponents. For example you use dirt on extractor and you get silicon. From that silicon you can make electronics, coal ? you extract carbon and from carbon you can make graphene etc.
- Planets are not "locked" anymore, you can go anywhere you like provided you can survive temperature/radiation whatever. And unlike vanilla it is not binary dead or alive thing where by having protection you are immune to elements etc. It only depends on your armor.
- Ton of sidegrades with different purposes. Want to specialize in handguns and dual wield two pistols ? Then try making armor that maximalizes damage out of pistols. Sword and board ? Make armor. It seems like now armor is much more than just defense number. Intitial bone armors for example provide fall protection (not all of it) more health instead of energy which is only later needed not at the start etc.
- Ton of new weather effects/planet types/biomes etc. Apperently from what i read it basically doubled amount of stuff in vanilla. I can see that because i already found planets that are like dark worlds, mushroom ones etc.
- Scientist outpost with frackin quests chains.

Overall i have fun so far and remind me a lot of Terraria now, though without terr-aria shitty pigeonholing into one type of armor because every new armor is almost always better at start.

Also LMAO my ride for now, i need to tungsteen to actually build stuff on my "ship":

k3dlZ1D.jpg

Reminds me of this from Futurama:

latest

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The problem with Frackin' Universe, if I recall correctly, is that it adds another dozen layers of grind.

Perkel

Arcane
The problem with Frackin' Universe, if I recall correctly, is that it adds another dozen layers of grind.

Not really almost everything is as sidegrade. Secondly it adds end game dungeons which require better gear unlike vanilla which means grind. But there was not "end game" per se in vanilla starbound so i don't see thins as an issue.

Obviously there is shitload of more stuff to do with FU but unlike Starbound vanilla it actually uses different biomes to full extent instead of being just window dressing.

So for example in vanilla starbound you don't need oil aside from very first explorers lantern, in FU you will actually have reason to visit those desert areas with oil because oil is much more useful than just basic lantern.
And this goes for everything.

Another example armor. In vanilla you go scavenger -> better armor in like 2 seconds.
In FU you have like 10 different other armor sets to try and each have specialty like daggers, ranged combat, speed etc. so from get go you can actually play some kind of build. It is actually fun to play low level to as there is much more stuff to do at low level, not just exploration but various missions FU adds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom