Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's one less micro-issue, well done. When it actually shows up.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also I thought the whole premise of the game is that your planet has been blown up and you're stranded?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I played this about a month back and it was actually not half bad. Still miles behind Terraria, but getting there. If you haven't played Terraria 1.3 yet I'd suggest doing that over buying this, though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The problem with Starbound is that they kept making stupid shit like vehicles and races and cutesy home decor stuff before they even bothered fleshing out the game -- giving you some kind of purpose to explore/kill stuff/etc. Terraria had that from the start.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Indeed. And even at this point I think the questline in Starbound is pretty short.

I hope they flesh out the colonist feature too. It's nice that you can spawn specific colonists, but they don't actually do anything. Plus the guards are pretty useless. Mine got slaughtered by the most basic of enemies.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Who is this guy? His voice is mesmerizing and it's a refreshing change from Youtubers who just scream at the top of their lungs about how angry they are about games.

Perkel

Arcane
1.0 dropped on unstable path in steam.

Playing currently and compared to half a year before seems like they did some good changes.
Playing it @ hardcore. This type of game plays waaay better in hardcore mode where standard "meh" events change to "oh shit" moments.

They added finaly backstory. You have this starting mission where you wake up on earth and you are graduating from some space academy when suddenly everything goes to shit via tentacle monster.

I like rewamped crafting system. It is much more logical now and branches of crafting have their own worktables.

Finally you have some proper starting goals instead of some shitty 3 quest system which gives you something like 50 pixels or some critical part for whatever reason.

Overall i like it but it can change later.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
If it dropped to unstable, meaning not the nightly, that means the release is not too far off. They are also going to do a "special" stream tomorrow where it is pretty much announced that they will be revealing the release date for the full game, thus leaving early access. They will continue to add content, of course, after the release.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Might give it a try again so long as it doesn't feel like the awful grind it did a couple of years ago.

Perkel

Arcane
heh first weapon i found is spear that has second mode flamethrower. That is some neat scripting.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
And judging by what was in when I played a few months ago I don't think people are going to be happy, but I stand to be corrected.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I'm getting some annoying flickering in the lower 25% of my screen. It's enraging me. I just deleted everything and am attempting a reinstall.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Time to see if I can finally get my $8 Russian worth out of this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom