Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I honestly think it's the same problem GW2 ran into with its living story updates - you wait too long for a brief snippet of new content.
That's because ArenaNet wasted so much fucking time on one stupid piece of shit feature that nobody wanted, and that they never even advertised: Personal Stories. FFS.

hakuroshi

Augur
Ok, you, fags from defunct Shepards of Diversity guild. It has a flagship now, 'cos I did not know what to do with all this creds before my sub expires. Feel free to defile it, if anyone still gives a shit.

hakuroshi

Augur
I can't say there is a Codex guild. There was a Codex guild for a brief time. On Red Eclipse. What remains is "playing house".

Lythandra

Educated
Well damnit, I wanted to play this but the peer to peer crap has driven me away. Where I live I just don't have much bandwidth and a cap so I do all large downloads at work. I tried turning it off but now the download speed is just abysmal. I don't have the patience anymore for jumping thru hoops just to try to play the game. Thanks EA for eating up 20% of my cap in about an hour. You suck.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Well damnit, I wanted to play this but the peer to peer crap has driven me away. Where I live I just don't have much bandwidth and a cap so I do all large downloads at work. I tried turning it off but now the download speed is just abysmal. I don't have the patience anymore for jumping thru hoops just to try to play the game. Thanks EA for eating up 20% of my cap in about an hour. You suck.
Ahahahaha, bandwidth caps.

Bliblablubb

Arcane

You should be thankful, it's Allah's way of telling you to stay the fuck away from it.
When I got the itch a year ago I installed it from discs, yet the game insisted on downloading every single file again. And then AGAIN because their new way of patching didn't work for me, so the game downloaded a different version of ALL files. Because EA thinks redownloading is faster than just changing tags on each file...

I didn't want to see the signs back then, learn from that mistake! :salute:

Also:
5nurud.jpg

While it feels sweet to have beaten Vaarna Aarne to it, I fear it means the game is so far gone that even he doesn't care to post it anymore.

Lythandra

Educated
Yup thinking about it I don't mind much. I asked myself if I reallllly wanted to play another MMO and while certainly entertaining, the answer is no not really. Maybe I'll finally start the last expansion to W3 finally.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Don't get us wrong, SWTOR does create a certain amount of entertainment, especially if you play the Shit Warrior/Agent story. But the restrictions layed upon filthy F2P players can make it such a torture to level even one char that you probably spend more time downloading the game than playing before you throw the towel.

Actually, go and watch the cutscenes on Jewtube if you want to cure your Star Wars itch. Can probably be done in 1 hour and saves you a lot of hassle. And it won't hurt your bandwidth as much.

Game engine looks even more shit today than back then tho...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Well, last time I played a fresh toon as a non-sub (doing "most" of the purple marked quests), you got "reduced xp" after lvl 20 (?) and I ended up pretty underleveled on Alderaan, even with ye olde "let 2 quest rewards unclaimed and claim all 3 with an xp bonus active" strategy. Even companions miss all attacks if the level gap is too big.
I do remember it was tricky to catch up again, with the space rail shooter being limited and all that. I did it via bounty hunting, but that was a timed event.

Maybe they finally changed the amount of XP you get then. Was pretty stupid anyway to be such a miser with xp at lower levels and than drown you in it at the end with all the extra content the game now has. Yeah I know, it's still a sub based game trying to drag shit as long as possible...
Especially with companions being able to run the show alone now, or being such a nanny to let you to just spam the basic attack for 50 levels and get away with it. :hahano:

Bah, at least I can proudly say that my first toon (a JK) died at least 7 times against the Shitlord on Tatooine, because I was too poor to afford decent equipment. And maybe missed a quicktime event interrupt or two... :salute:
Heh, do people even ask for "help against a boss" these days? Those were good times...

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
You can buy base game with 30 days for 5 or so bucks anyway. Plenty of time to do one class story etc.

hakuroshi

Augur
Bah, at least I can proudly say that my first toon (a JK) died at least 7 times against the Shitlord on Tatooine, because I was too poor to afford decent equipment. And maybe missed a quicktime event interrupt or two... :salute:
Heh, do people even ask for "help against a boss" these days? Those were good times...

For some unfathomable reason, they still do. Rarely though, but I've recently heard a plea to help defeat a jedi master on Tatooine for sith warrior story.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So is WoW basically in zombie mode?

And fuck Bioware. When are those assholes gonna be disposed of by EA?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Heh, just read up the ending of the KOTFE storyline.
Of course you don't get to kill Arcann, he escapes with his mommy. Of course no difference in the fight if you accepted the Emperor's gift or not. Of course his crazy sister takes over the throne. Back to square one.
Plus they still held back the most popular companions to keep the suckers paying and drag this shit at least another year.

Now remember people have paid some 100 dorrahs for this. :hahano:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I see beard enthusiasts have failed us on the news front.
http://www.swtor.com/eternal-throne/home

BATTLE TO TAKE CONTROL AND RULE THE GALAXY
Play Your Star Wars™ Story – Your Way!

Battle to rule the galaxy in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ – Knights of the Eternal Throne, a bold new digital expansion from BioWare. Be the Outlander and command a team of hand-picked allies as you face one of the most dangerous families in Star Wars™. Mother against daughter. Sister against brother. It’s a fight for control of the throne. You decide who will live, who will die and who will rule the galaxy. Fight to influence the galaxy for the light or dark side of the Force™!

Best of all, Knights of the Eternal Throne is FREE to all Premium players!

• YOUR PERSONAL STAR WARS™ STORY – Step into your own Star Wars™ story from BioWare, featuring nine chapters, five new levels and two new planets woven into an epic saga where you fight to rule the galaxy.
  • MAKE DYNAMIC DARK VS. LIGHT SIDE CHOICES – Decide the future of the galaxy and determine the fate of your allies and enemies – your every action drives the galaxy closer to the light or dark side of the Force™.
  • START YOUR SAGA HERE – Be The Outlander, a Level 65 veteran of the Great Galactic War, and embark on a handcrafted story-driven saga.
  • RULE WITH GALACTIC COMMAND – Grow your influence as you ignite light and dark side enemies, battle new Uprisings and unlock the most powerful rewards – all starting at Level 70 in the new and ongoing Galactic Command system.
  • BATTLE WITH ALLIES IN NEW UPRISINGS – Join with up to three allies in erupting action-packed battles and confront the galaxy’s most notorious adversaries rising to challenge your influence in Galactic Command.
  • PLAY YOUR WAY – Choose to play any story chapter or battle in three new challenge levels – Story, Veteran, or Master mode – whatever suits your playstyle!
PRE-ORDER/SUBSCRIBER REWARDS

BE A PREMIUM PLAYER – GET ULTIMATE ACCESS!

• Get eternal access to the new Knights of the Eternal Throne expansion FREE at launch including one free*** high-level character to start your adventure. (One per subscribed SWTOR account)
  • Enjoy unlimited access to the new Galactic Command system unlocked at Level 70 as you fight to grow your power and retain control of the galaxy in ongoing battles and Uprisings – alone or with friends – to earn the most valuable rewards.
  • Receive 500 FREE monthly Cartel Coins to trade in for gear, XP Boosts, speeders and more!
  • Must be a Premium player (subscriber status) as of December 2, 2016 to play Knights of the Eternal Throne.
CAST OF CHARACTERS

CHAPTERS
CHAPTER 1 – WRATH AND RUIN
Lead the Alliance in an explosive battle against the Eternal Empire as Empress Vaylin begins her conquest of the galaxy.

CHAPTER 2 – RUN FOR THE SHADOWS
Fend off deadly assassins and join forces with an unlikely new ally.

CHAPTER 3 – DARK REUNIONS
Settle scores in a lethal showdown to safeguard the Alliance.

CHAPTER 4 – WHERE DREAMS DIE
Discover a mysterious and deadly new world in a bold fight for survival.

CHAPTER 5 – ASCENSION
Escape certain doom with help from an old ally.

CHAPTER 6 – THE DRAGON’S MAW
Spearhead a daring undercover mission into the heart of enemy territory.

CHAPTER 7 – INTO THE VOID
Hunt your enemies to a dangerous and forgotten world untouched by the Force.

CHAPTER 8 – END TIMES
Defend the Alliance against the greatest threat it’s ever faced.

CHAPTER 9 – THE ETERNAL THRONE
Clash with the Eternal Empire’s strongest forces in the final battle for control of the Eternal Throne.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • * To qualify for the Knights of the Eternal Throne Pre-Order Rewards, the player must be a Premium player (subscriber status) as of the date listed by the reward. Knights of the Eternal Throne rewards are delivered through in-game mail or mission and are redeemable as of the launch of the expansion.
  • **To qualify for Early Access to Knights of the Eternal Throne, the player must be a Premium player (subscriber status) continuously from October 25, 2016 through November 27, 2016. Qualified players may enter and play Knights of the Eternal Throne beginning November 29, 2016, three days ahead of official launch.
  • ***As of the launch of Knights of the Eternal Throne, Premium players will receive one free high-level character (one per subscribed SWTOR account) to begin their new Knights of the Eternal Throne adventure.
  • NOTE: Beginning November 29, 2016, players with unused advanced character tokens in inventory can use them to play Knights of the Eternal Throne.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have to say, I didn't think it would be profitable for them to make expansion content for this game with all the branching story possibilities and 16 VAs to record lines from not even counting companion dialog. So I guess it's impressive that SWTOR has managed to pull off so many of these expansions. Almost makes me consider giving it another try.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have to say, I didn't think it would be profitable for them to make expansion content for this game with all the branching story possibilities and 16 VAs to record lines from not even counting companion dialog. So I guess it's impressive that SWTOR has managed to pull off so many of these expansions. Almost makes me consider giving it another try.
I don't think there's a lot of branching in the expansions, and the class storylines were mostly in vanilla, the expansions focused on a single storyline for every character, with a few choices.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

It's more of a problem because they saddled themselves with the whole full VA deal which I imagine to be a huge production cost. Expansions themselves are actually really short. Something that really became obvious with the last one released in episodes where you'd get maybe an hour out of each episode before waiting for the next one. And they're once again taking after that format because it's obvious only people who are in it for the story are still playing the game. I wonder if they'll remember this game is still an MMORPG this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom