Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Nael

Arcane
Heads up to my Codex SWTOR brethren: I moved my characters off The Red Eclipse to Tomb of Freedom Nads (Full PVP server). Red Eclipse is WAAAAAY too busy. Its really difficult to complete quests when there are twenty people trying to activate the same button at the same time.

ToFN seems like a more active type community too. Red Eclipse players seemed like compete scrubs.
The Shit Eclipse is a zoo of stupid. Only playing on ToFN these days as well.

What's your handle? Got a good guild on either side?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Since I managed to forget unsubbing, I decided to give the "new chapter" a spin, I paid 15 bucks for it, so it must be quality amirite?
Dear Biowhores, if you plan on keeping people subscribing for your new episodic plan, you need to make the first one a hit, or people will bail.

This one... was a dud. 10 mins worth of content stretched to 90 mins by placing the same group of 3 enemies in your way every few steps. That wasn't even good design in the 80s. And storywise it was just another recruitment mission, nothing more. I got moah entertainment out of 10 mins recruiting HK55, which I only seem to have gotten for forgetting to unsubscribe.
Maybe an agent might have gotten more out of it, since he now has two of his old crewmembers back, one of them the old LI if he boinked the punkgrrrl. Tho I doubt there would be more than one sentence mentioning it. Not that they have anything to say after the mission. At all.
My toon got to flirt with her as well, but she doesn't do chicks, so all I got from "we have one hour to kill" was a drink. Great.

What was it people wanted the most (aside from PvP, those people don't count): story driven solo content and gay romances.
This chapter was a miss on both. Well done.

On top of that Bioware has now fully embraced the PWE style lockbox scam to rip off the whales with rigged odds. For a box that "draws from all items in the bazaar", almost every buyer getting a piece of Darth Skotia's armor sounds a little more than suspicious...
Well, people who gamble this shit don't deserve better anyway.

Nah Bioware, I don't see this working out in the long run.

EDIT: Heh, just found out if you let the city blow up twice, the space rastaman leaves you for good. CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES BITCHES!
Not that anyone would miss NegroCarth.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Goddammit I forgot to unsubscribe.

Then again I could just play some of the expansions. Which I didn't because I was trying to finish all class storylines before.

Bliblablubb Which expansions are worth it, as in interesting to play/interesting story? I assume Shadow of Revan?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Uuuuuh, lemme think for a moment....
Revan is a pretty good one AND you get a pirate hat. Arrrrrrr! Don't forget to play the "Forged Alliances" first (or they get blocked), I think you can only get them from a droid on the fleet base now. Those introduce Lana and.. that other guy, and were a teaser for SoR.
I consider it a nice finisher for the story, but it's the same for everyone (minor changes in dialogue only), so one char may be enough. Unless you want the fancy title after Yavin. I got "Jedi Battlemaster" for the knight and "Sith Intelligence Commander" for agent. Still laughing about "sith" and "intelligence" in the same sentence...

Hutt Cartel is okay-ish, but has a different story for rep/imp, so it's worth a playthrough with one of each. If you are bored.

The KotfE expansion is actually a good one, fresh scenario, railroaded (but good) story and all that, but don't forget it blocks main story, companion quests, SoR and it's intros and maybe even more, so be sure you did any "old stuff" you wanted before starting it. Or just create a fresh 60 for it.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Shit Warrior is classic Star Wars with glowsticks, while Ayshunt is a spy story without glowsticks. Can't go wrong with either, so just pick what you fancy more.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's universally agreed that Imperial Agent is the best story so yeah. I'd go that. It was also good from what I played of it.

ortucis

Prophet
I am trying to play this bore-fest of a game right now.

Basically, they have taken Mass Effect ideas and put them into Star Wars universe. Even the "ancient AI" thing from Mass Effect made its way into with barely few changes. It's pathetic.

At least Obsidian managed to make the shit Star Wars lore interesting in their game. BioWare doesn't even bother. Who is retarded enough to pay for these games?

Oh well, going to try Blade & Soul after uninstalling this.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Blade & Soul

don't. Seriously. Imagine a MMO skill rotations with only like 8 - 10 skills until mid game. It is insanely boring.
SWTOR had, what, 4 skills until late game (because you didn't have the necessary ones yet)? Less if you were a Booty Hunter. And now with the OP companions you could just press basic attack. Or dance, like I usually did.
Judged by that SWTOR is pretty much just a visual novel.

ortucis

Prophet
Who is retarded enough to pay for these games?

Don't fake surprise, there are loads of people who would :lol:

Well yeah, but faking surprise is the only way I can't get depressed about humanity.

Blade & Soul

don't. Seriously. Imagine a MMO skill rotations with only like 8 - 10 skills until mid game. It is insanely boring.

Really? Fuck it then. Can't be arsed to download whole game only to uninstall it in few hours, again.

The only "MMO" now left is The Division, but even that I canceled the order (I was playing MMO's as F2P since there is no way in hell I am paying for generic game worlds) in a day after I spent some time researching the game and learning about 30 level cap along with small story campaign + paid expansions incoming.

Why the fuck are gamers so gung-ho about generic game worlds with shit stories and characters in MMO's? You'd think that unlike a SP generic-fest like Fallout 4, people would want something more exciting in an MMO to keep their interest alive. But fuck, it's like MMO's are even worse than the pile of turds Bethesda shits out every few years.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
At best it will be some lame ability you never use (like the legacy stuff.. because you never even use the heroic moment at all). Or replacing the shiv with a LAZUHBLAID stab.

Although it would actually make a little sense, with you-know-who being stuck in your braaaaainzzz. Probably just used in cutscene fights and be done with it. Certainly more believeable than a sniper fighting NOT3DOG. That... was silly.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
5nurud.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
How is the lightside Sith Inquisitor storyline?
Story is pretty much the same. You notice during the clownfish's story on Taris, that they wanted to split LS/DS like the warrior's Jaesa, but ultimatly didn't go all the way.
Does being LS still work?
Depends... a male LS 'quiser is a bit of a mustache twirling scheming bastard, the voiceactor is at least up to the task. And the clownfish likes you more if you are nice-ish (not sure if that even matters anymore with the affection change).
A LS grrrl 'quiserette on the other hand... stay the fuck away from that! That womyn only works as a crazy giggling batshit insane lunatic. As LS she seems like some "special child", dropped too often on her head to be taken serious. Seriously, her flirting with NPCs is so unwanted comical, I expected them to jump out the nearest window. Nope, cannot recommend.

Also shocking in dialogs. Best reason to earn DS points evah. You know you want to!

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Hm, stumped as to what class to play next then. Currently played LS Agent and finishing up LS Warrior. Was thinking something Republic for a change of scenery but none of the options seem too appealing.

Last edited:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
If you are planning on playing the game longer, I suggest playing a rep char next. Rise of the Hutt Cartel has a different storyline for both sides, and the other expanshuns have "slight" differences.

What rep class to play however... Trooper and Consular are pretty weak to be honest, so you would be stuck with the same archetypes (yet different advanced classes maybe) again.

Jedi Knight is a decent Kotor1-style hero story, if you get around being the only one doing real work, while the council parties all night. A good pick for KoTfE for spoilah reasons. I prefer female, because SNAAAAKE is such a bad voice actor. Only friendzoned by Laura Baily in that case tho.

Smuggler is pretty much a collection of funny scenes glued together by the usual "get rich, mmm credits" theme. You can pawn off annoying Twilight Sparkle to some noble in the end, which was totally worth dragging the naggy bitch around. :argh: Pick male and you get some emoshunal engaging fade-to-blacks along the way. LS soft heart, DS greedy bastard.

Trooper is "Hurrah, not-'murica!", but it has it's moments when you go darkside and just shoot people in the face. Male again, or a certain sad scene will just make you shrug and move on. Propagandabot companion is adorable and Elara is my favorite waifu of the game. Doesn't say much considering the competion, but I dig her accent. Think ensign Temple but less childish.

Consular story is... slow. Sage animations are barely visible, companions are boring. Pick Shadow instead. Only saving grace is the female voice actress when darksiding. Adorable bitchy towards the council sitting on their fat asses and thinking awarding shiny titles makes up for it. Don't pick male.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Funfacts after a checking how my downgrade to preferred has turned out:

I am supposed to pay for DISPLAYING my helmet now, since I had headslot visibility disabled while being a sub. Arrr, mah pirate hat! :argh:
Also half of my titles are gone. Greedy Huttjews grab everything.
Strangly the latest Catman episode is unlocked and started when I logged in, even tho I wasn't a sub at that time. Does subbing just unlock them earlier if you already have KotfE?

Good thing I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Trooper is "Hurrah, not-'murica!", but it has it's moments when you go darkside and just shoot people in the face. Male again, or a certain sad scene will just make you shrug and move on. Propagandabot companion is adorable and Elara is my favorite waifu of the game. Doesn't say much considering the competion, but I dig her accent. Think ensign Temple but less childish.

Consular story is... slow. Sage animations are barely visible, companions are boring. Pick Shadow instead. Only saving grace is the female voice actress when darksiding. Adorable bitchy towards the council sitting on their fat asses and thinking awarding shiny titles makes up for it. Don't pick male.
Still not worth playing either storyline, though. Smuggler > Trooper & Consular. Haven't/won't finish JK.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Yeti Knight was my actually my first rep char, first overall IIRC. But at that time I was still in "waaaaah, need moah Kotor" mode, wearing my fanboi glasses. Never finished him until game went f2p. Healer companion came too late, gear was king and I was space poor. Let's just say being killed by every silver mob several levels below me and retrying each boss at least 7 times lost it's appeal after a while. Game was unforgiving and full of dick moves. Not the f2p dickmoves, but stuff like being forced to bring your trashcanbot for the final fight, even if he died in one hit, because you never used/geared him.
Made a Marauderp instead, because early healer companion and selfheal on crit made it a lot more bearable.

I didn't consider JK story that bad back then, buuut everything was still a new experience... and if you liked glowsticks, you didn't have much choice (consular's glowstick is just for show and never used unless you go the glowing mopstick route).

Nah JK is okay, just don't expect Agent/SW niveau.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom