Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
...according to my customer.

I just talked to the guy and this is what he's claiming based on his beta experiences and comparing with his extensive experience in/with WoW.

Now I fully realize every big MMO that comes out is always touted as being a potential WoW-killer, but this is a guy who took WoW so seriously that he spent over $5000.00 with me for a killer gaming rig about 4 years ago, used almost exclusively for his WoW addiction. I know that sounds ridiculous too, but hey, it's his money. This guy is actually "hip", as well; he owns his own tattoo shop here where I live and is not the nerdy-type. Dude showed me his skills on his new rig once it was up and running, and how good he was at PvP'ing with his assassin (?) in WoW and I was blown away. He certainly knew his way around a keyboard, that's for sure.

So he's saying that the game is looking so good it's going to spell trouble for Blizzard, which may be inevitable anyway. But he's saying it's so smooth, such a huge game and that there's so much to do in, as well as being innovative enough, that it can't miss. I never knew the original WoW design crew was hired by BioWare to do this game, and he says it shows. He's already addicted to it and I'm hoping he drops another 5K on a new rig just for it.

Thought I'd share. I normally don't buy into this kind of hype for MMO's (only TES titles) but this guy has no reason to overly exaggerate or to bullshit me.

It should be interesting.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The fact that he spent $5000 to play WoW (which runs on max settings with a sub-$1000 computer) should tell you everything.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
True, but the thing is still sufficient for his needs to this day (dampening my hopes that he'll upgrade) which speaks to his intelligence about choosing the best once he made up his mind. It also happened to include two $1000 monitors as part of the package.

He paid all in cash at the time, btw.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
WoW is killing itself slowly, anything that comes along and just tips its sorry rotting carcass over will claim to be the WoW Killer, when all they did was just come in at the right time. Not a defence of WoW or an indictment of SW:ToR, just an observation of how old WoW is getting, how awful it has consistently gotten over the years, and how so many derptarded WoW Killers! have sprung up over the years. Note, its the fans that claim that it will kill WoW, not the developers, and fans get all excited just before release and make wild claims about how its going to be such a success and how great it is to get in at the ground floor. Such misery when they face their first server merge and eventually realise that the love they have for the game is not shared by enough other people.

SW:ToR will do okay, there are legions of derptastic Star Wars morons out there willing to buy any old shit that has the Star Wars name on it and will gladly eat up any MMO that lets them have their Jedi knight fantasy. WoW does need to die, but im quite happy to see it rot and turn into viscous fluid stage of decomposition rather than have it 'killed' by another MMO. Its fans deserve no less.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pika-Cthulhu said:
WoW is killing itself slowly
is it? from what i heard it has around 10mio subs and is only losing couple hundred thousands per year, which i'd call keeping itself alive really fucking well... or is my info wrong?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, if he is a "hardcore" player, I don't know what he found interesting in SWTOR. Sounds like somebody is just hyped.

racofer said:
Every new MMO that gets releases will kill WoW, at least during its first month of debut.
Yeah.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You can imagine he's probably had his fill of traditional PvP play. I'm sure he's looking forward to something different, and from TOR's description, what with the psuedo-single player experience, the space flight stuff (don't know much about it myself), the planets you can go to, it just sounds refreshing.

Combine with some super emo storytelling ala BioButts then there might be something there worth looking into.

Then again I've always been a sucker.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
SWTOR is a very polished game and it's some real competition for WOW because it has the same power of attracting people that are new to the genre, but "killing" wow is just some wild EA dream.

It would be more realistic to assume it'll eventually (along with other major releases, like Guild Wars 2) force wow into the F2P territory, which one way or the other is just a matter of time.

Kaol

Educated
SWTOR is just another WoW clone.

I remember some dev saying once that almost all MMO's these days are WoW clones becasue if they can get just a few % of the people who have played WoW to play their game they can make a profit.

Its a winning formula that EA have been relying upon since time bagan to make a clone of a popular game using a popular licence.

What does SWTOR have that other WoW clones do not? Bioware dialogues. But all of my mmo buddies who are beta testing this say that they just mash the space bar to get to the end of the dialogues as quickly as possible.

WoW will be around for years i'm sure of that. People always retain a soft spot for the game that took them into a genre no matter how old it is. Look at UO, there are still people playing that today.

If there is a WoW killer it would be the game that takes MMO's into the next generation.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It won't be the "WoW" killer. I don't think this is the game that will do that.

Though, everyone laughed when anyone claimed WoW would be the Everquest killer.... (including myself).

Majestic47

Learned
People going ape shit about not getting early access as promised with their pre-order keys.

Meh. I got some friends egging me to give it a spin. I've been out of MMO for so long - DC UO and Champ O was very casual and FREE. (Most important) So yeah, not really looking forward to shell out $60 and not playing it after the first month.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I won't kill WoW. I have better insight than the tattoo parlor guy.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Kaol said:
SWTOR is just another WoW clone.
wow was just a dumbed-down eq clone and yet it killed eq pretty fucking dead.

tor won't kill wow though, because while fun the first time around, the story makes bringing up alts or repeating flashpoints rather painful and there are no bigass raids (which i like, 'cos raiding is retarded anyways).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well, WoW kept the same system but increased the ease of play of the core mechanics (not the conceptually dumbing down but in terms of interface ease), plus popularized the "questing" mechanic (into a base MMO mechanic in itself). SWTOR doesn't improve on any core or base mechanic besides animating and voicing every quest.

I don't think WoW can be killed by a WoW-clone because it just won't have enough content at launch to compete with the variety in WoW. It would need to intrigue and then keep the attention of the WoW-convert, but there won't be enough content to do the latter.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Mangoose said:
The fact that he spent $5000 to play WoW (which ran on max settings with a sub-$1000 computer even 4 years ago) should tell you everything.
Fixed for clarification. Though, I wouldn't count the monitors towards the "computer", so he only overspent 2000$ ;)

There will never be a "WoW-killer". No game will come up and suddenly leech all subscriptions from WoW. WoW will die its own slow, slow death.
I also think it's extremely improbable that a new game will ever reach WoW's success simply because there is far more competition around than at the time WoW came out, and most is F2P which is difficult to compete with if your game is subscription based. If some game should reach WoW's success in profit that'll probably only be due to a vastly bigger market that at WoW's peak time.

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
Mangoose said:
The fact that he spent $5000 to play WoW (which ran on max settings with a sub-$1000 computer even 4 years ago) should tell you everything.
Fixed for clarification. Though, I wouldn't count the monitors towards the "computer", so he only overspent 2000$ ;)

There will never be a "WoW-killer". No game will come up and suddenly leech all subscriptions from WoW. WoW will die its own slow, slow death.
I also think it's extremely improbable that a new game will ever reach WoW's success simply because there is far more competition around than at the time WoW came out, and most is F2P which is difficult to compete with if your game is subscription based. If some game should reach WoW's success in profit that'll probably only be due to a vastly bigger market that at WoW's peak time.

Pretty much that. Sure, TOR has a lot going for it to get a very big initial reception, but for people playing WoW, it's not going to do a whole lot, they'll continue playing it or get back to it once they've hit cap and seen the end content in TOR. WoW will kill itself, like it's kinda been doing this year, what with roughly a million and a few hundred thousand sub loss (after about a million sub regain at launch of Cataclysm), which happened way prior to even the open betas of TOR, so, if anything will kill WoW, it'll be designers' moronic decisions.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Plenty of long-time WoW players keep playing it for the social aspect as well. They are in a nice guild with all of their e-friends and not going to switch unless majority of the guild switches over. Always more difficult to find a suitable social group for yourself in a new game than to remain playing the old game with the people you already "know".

Mortmal

Arcane
I wont say wow killed everquest, everquest suicide itself, the quality of expansions after velious were quite subpar, the community maangement, the customer support abysmal. They never listened to their fans , they got what they deserved.
Those guys managed to fail with star wars galaxy, you need skills to fail with such ip really. Their anti midas touch is legendary.

Swtor will be the wow killer, undoubtly! For one month... then people will realize they have done everything , as always, i would be surprised if the end game will keep people occupied for ages.
I ordered it too, cause friends are going there, i try to get excited over it, i try some gym and screamin YES! YES! , but no nothing no excitement, not even the beggining of an erection at the thought of the new bioware game..
I guess i am completely desillusionned with mmos.

On month honey moon, and then they will be back for playing panda monks on wow.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Jaesun said:
It won't be the "WoW" killer. I don't think this is the game that will do that.

Though, everyone laughed when anyone claimed WoW would be the Everquest killer.... (including myself).

I remember peple saying Anarchy Online was going to murder EQ, and thinking it was possible. :oops:

Neeshka

Educated
ToR is like WoW 3 years ago. And in a bad way. It's obviously very similar to WoW but lacks all the improvements that have happened to the original game.

I'm surprised that even RPG codex has an almost 4chan-esque irrational hatred for WoW and wants to see blizzard and it's games "die".

Hating on WoW is also getting very old and very tired.

Personally I have a lot of gripes about the game (the casual community sucks, end-game heroic raid balance seems to always favor ranged); but parroting the same subjective bullshit is completely useless to any mmorpg discussion.

Terpsichore

Arcane
WoW been dead as a MMO for a looong while, now its just a chat hub.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom