Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Star Wars: The Old Republic - It's about being an hero

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Everyone knew this was coming. No surprise there. No interest either, if the best we can assume as far as dialog and C&C goes is Mass Effect dumbed down for mass content and player base.

Shannow

Waster of Time
In response to community pressure to scrap this game and just make Knights of the Old Republic 3, the team suggests that there's enough content in Star Wars: The Old Republic to call it "Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9."
An MMO with 130 hours of playing time in it? Isn't that rather short? (For an MMO). The players would be finished within a month...

Deleted member 7219

I was pissed off yesterday. Then came to the realisation that getting pissed off over a video game is really, really sad.

Still, as a gamer, I'm very disappointed with the news. I liked KOTOR and KOTOR 2, I still replay them often, and I was looking forward to the cliffhanger at the end of KOTOR 2 being resolved in another KOTOR single-player game.

I had been expecting this MMO for a while now, with all the rumours it was hard not to. But I tried hard to believe the game would not be Old Republic related... I knew that if it was, all hopes for KOTOR 3 would die.

And no surprise, it is Old Republic related. And Lucasarts/Bioware see this as the future for KOTOR. It's fucking stupid.

I wouldn't mind if they announced a KOTOR 3 too, to fill in the blanks between KOTOR 2 and this MMO. But they haven't, and they never will.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
For all of you longing for Obsidian-developed KotOR III:
keepwaiting.jpg

Pic courtesy of Mixnmojo.

denizsi

Arcane
Lead writer Daniel Erickson talks to Shacknews:

On the way story will work in The Old Republic:
"We have classes in the game, and every class has a different story. Every class has a story that will take you from the first level of the game to the last level of the game, and none of those stories are the same.

In the same way, faction stuff is split out between the Empire and Republic. So the takeaway note from this is, if you roll a Jedi character and you play them from the first level to the last level, and then you roll a Sith and you play them from the first, you will not see one repeated quest, line of dialogue, or piece of content. It is a 100% different story experience.

That is not to say you won't see the opposite side of the conflict. It is about war. We don't play common people. We play huge heroes in the Star Wars universe, which means the war is important."

On the idea of choice-based story in an MMO:
"You're 60 hours into the game on the light side, and you hit this huge choice. You know exactly what you want to do, and you look for the save button, and you realize there is no save button. I'm gonna make this choice, and this choice is going to be my choice forever. It makes not only the individualism of we're actually telling this story, but the power of making these choices stronger than they've ever been in any BioWare game."

On how the story will change depending on your companions:
"The things you get to see are going to be dependent on who you're traveling with. If Han had never hooked up on Luke, he would have never had a perspective on the Force."
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1033

Sounds like they are overshooting. Either that or letting Erickson fantasize until the suits give the ultimatom "it's gonna be kill+loot+level, fuck everything else".

On the other hand, has anything similar been done with a MMORPG? Scratch that: with any SP RPG? (ie. parallel but still an entirely different experience depending on how and where you start)

sabishii

Arbiter
denizsi said:
Lead writer Daniel Erickson talks to Shacknews:

On the way story will work in The Old Republic:
"We have classes in the game, and every class has a different story. Every class has a story that will take you from the first level of the game to the last level of the game, and none of those stories are the same.

In the same way, faction stuff is split out between the Empire and Republic. So the takeaway note from this is, if you roll a Jedi character and you play them from the first level to the last level, and then you roll a Sith and you play them from the first, you will not see one repeated quest, line of dialogue, or piece of content. It is a 100% different story experience.

That is not to say you won't see the opposite side of the conflict. It is about war. We don't play common people. We play huge heroes in the Star Wars universe, which means the war is important."

On the idea of choice-based story in an MMO:
"You're 60 hours into the game on the light side, and you hit this huge choice. You know exactly what you want to do, and you look for the save button, and you realize there is no save button. I'm gonna make this choice, and this choice is going to be my choice forever. It makes not only the individualism of we're actually telling this story, but the power of making these choices stronger than they've ever been in any BioWare game."

On how the story will change depending on your companions:
"The things you get to see are going to be dependent on who you're traveling with. If Han had never hooked up on Luke, he would have never had a perspective on the Force."

Sounds like they are overshooting. Either that or letting Erickson fantasize until the suits give the ultimatom "it's gonna be kill+loot+level, fuck everything else".

On the other hand, has anything similar been done with a MMORPG? Scratch that: with any SP RPG? (ie. parallel but still an entirely different experience depending on how and where you start)
Sounds like a bunch of hype and/or wishful thinking. I'll come back in a few years and see what the game's really going to be like.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's almost as rich as some of the original Fable hype.

Morbus

Scholar
Matt7895 said:
Still, as a gamer, I'm very disappointed with the news. I liked KOTOR and KOTOR 2, I still replay them often, and I was looking forward to the cliffhanger at the end of KOTOR 2 being resolved in another KOTOR single-player game.
There was no cliffhanger. There was game that was rushed to the shelves before it was finished.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I still replay them often"

Another tool wastes his time. :cry:

Section8

Cipher

Sure it has. In Dark Age of Camelot you got a class specific quest every few levels, and then you'd get a permanent choice of rewards. It's exactly what he's described and just as grindy and unfulfilling as the rest of the genre.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wonder what's unannounced new next-gen game is... Is that new franchise, post-apoc game or maybe next-gen is turn-based, who knows. It may be soccer prg.

Drakron

Arcane

Oh you mean like in WoW were classes have their own quests?

Oh you mean just like in WoW were I pick a Alliance character and never see Hoard quests and vice-versa?

You mean like I had to go to Scarlet Monastery for some Alliance Quests and that instance happen to be located on the Hoard Undead Starting Location?

Fine, there is no WoW analogy for this but really ... I can see exactly what the choice is going to be "fall/redemption" were we simply switch fractions.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Drakron said:
Fine, there is no WoW analogy for this but really ... I can see exactly what the choice is going to be "fall/redemption" were we simply switch fractions.
It's just like choosing between joining Aldor or Scryers in WoW.

Data4

Arcane
Drakron said:

Any game that allows me to switch from 1/2 to 3/4 is just fine with me.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Data4 said:
Drakron said:

Any game that allows me to switch from 1/2 to 3/4 is just fine with me.

I want one that would let me divide by zero. Planescape could do it.

ushdugery

Scholar
Even if the MMO was good you just know it will be full of retards making dick jokes about lightsabers.

kris

Arcane
If they wanted huge choices with consequences then they should combine sith and Jedi into one classes. Let those choices determine what you will be. They could have it branched further into the game.

Dingus

Novice
I think once you've already crossed that line between awesome saga, into the realm of barely watchable/playable gutter trash, you might as well go full throttle and and fuck it up completely. Sesame St. and Jar Jar for all!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom