Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Battlefield 1942 / 2142 + 2 + 3 + 4, bad company 1 + 2 wants a word.

Dice makes quality shit.

I clocked in endless hours in the battlefield series. Solid fucking multiplayer shooter, the best games in the series of war shooters by a mile.

Y u mad tho?

Flies like shit too....

you a fly bro?

Ya, I'm a flier/flyer/liar/

I dunno.. didnt have that much problemz wit it in bf 4 etc

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The awesomeness of next-gen: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-25-dice-explains-star-wars-battlefront-on-rails-at-ats

DICE: why Star Wars Battlefront AT-ATs are on-rails

Star Wars Battlefront developer DICE has explained its decision to limit the game's AT-AT walkers to movement along a preset path.

jpg

The iconic vehicles feature heavily in Battlefront's Hoth level, which Eurogamer played at E3 last week.

Just as in Empire Strikes Back, Battlefront's Rebel characters must take down the AT-ATs by piloting snowspeeders and wrapping tow-cables around the AT-AT's legs.

Or, if you are playing on the side of the Empire, your objective is to reach the Rebel's base in one piece.

Players that control an AT-AT are limited to moving its head-mounted turret cannons to aim at Rebel infantry and positions on the ground. You can also call in a powerful orbital strike.

Battlefront senior producer Sigurlina Ingvarsdottir told Eurogamer that DICE had been forced to make the AT-ATs move on-rails to avoid "game breaking" consequences - for example if players made the AT-ATs wander off and ignored the level's core mission parameters.

Ingvarsdottir also addressed the lack of space battles in the game, gave more detail on the Battle of Jakku DLC and revealed that yes, you will meet Ewoks.

Eurogamer: AT-ATs can shoot at Rebels and call in orbital strikes - but you don't stray from their preset path, right?

jpg

Ingvarsdottir: The path? No, you don't. It's a part of the mode itself, because the AT-AT is the objective of the mode. They have a set path because they're headed to the shield generator.

If you were to control their path - that would be game breaking.

Eurogamer: But that's just unique to the AT-ATs - you can move around how you want on the AT-STs and Snowspeeders?

Ingvarsdottir: Yes - the AT-AT is obviously an extremely unique vehicle. They're so big, their movement is slow, their attributes are so different they have almost their own laws.

Eurogamer: Speaking of vehicles, I have to ask about space battles. Why was the decision made not to include combat in space itself? It was in previous Battlefront games and is something fans have come to expect.

Ingvarsdottir: We're two generations on from the last Battlefront. Our goal was to hit all the core mechanics of the series. So the fantasy for us was to be able to engage in a dogfight, be in the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter. And you can absolutely do that.

And we have another mode which we haven't shown yet called Fighter Squadron. That has big, epic dogfights. We'll be talking more about that in the not too distant future.

Eurogamer: Are full-on space battles possible for the future? Would the Frostbite engine support it, or is it too much of a leap?

Ingvarsdottir: Frostbite is incredibly powerful. There are so many things in Star Wars we would like to see in the future. We have to pick and choose.

Eurogamer: And which things are those?

Ingvarsdottir: Many things! [laughs] I can't tell you because as soon as I say them they're something we've promised to a lot of people.

Eurogamer: One thing you have talked about is the Battle of Jakku DLC, which is coming free just after launch. It's our first look at something from The Force Awakens - how much more will you draw from the new film?

jpg

Ingvarsdottir: So it's important to understand the timeline for that. You see the desert planet of Jakku in The Force Awakens' trailer - you see a crashed Star Destroyer in the background.

We're showing you the events of when that Star Destroyer crashed, 30 years prior to the events of The Force Awakens. That's the context, because we are Original Trilogy-focused and these events happen in that same sort of time, just after the Battle of Endor.

Eurogamer: Will there be a season pass for the game?

Ingvarsdottir: We're not talking about any more DLC plans for the game yet. But we will support it post-launch.

Eurogamer: One thing our readers care a lot about is getting the full value of any triple-A game they purchase. Will there be any kind of micro-transactions or in-game purchase system?

PR: Again, we're not talking about any DLC. Just what we're showing at E3.

Eurogamer: Micro-transactions aren't really DLC... They'll be in the game from day one, if they are in there.

PR: We're not talking about that today.

Eurogamer: Final question then - can you play as an Ewok?

Ingvarsdottir: You can't play as an Ewok... but you'll be able to see them.

Eurogamer: Hopefully they don't die. I'll be upset if they die.

Ingvarsdottir: [Laughs] We won't make you upset.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Didn't even know they were on rails, must be incredibly dull to play inside one of them. And I thought space-to-planet-surface battles were going to be a thing at one point in Battlefront 3? Probably from an earlier attempt that was scrapped, would have been sweet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So the AT-AT is a map mechanic not a vehicle, big deal

Eurogamer: One thing our readers care a lot about is getting the full value of any triple-A game they purchase. Will there be any kind of micro-transactions or in-game purchase system?

PR: Again, we're not talking about any DLC. Just what we're showing at E3.

Eurogamer: Micro-transactions aren't really DLC... They'll be in the game from day one, if they are in there.

PR: We're not talking about that today.

:lol:

Caim

Arcane
Didn't an EA executive once had the bright idea to make a game where instead of buying the game itself you pay for the bullets you fire with microtransactions?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time. But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."

-John Ricitello, former CEO of EA

Caim

Arcane
"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time. But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."

Yep. John Ricitello was about to make you his bitch, but he's not with EA anymore.

Also, if you run out of ammo in an online match of Battlefield you're doing it wrong.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
welp I spent an hour running around on Hoth. It's pretty decent, fun even. Seems smaller than BF2, but that was to be expected. Flying is ok, AT-STs are fun, but very very slow. AT-ATs are boring as fuck. GRPHX are nice. It's running well, i'm getting 60+ outside on 970 with ultra settings. FOV is adjustable. Will probably D1P.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Really needs the proper atmosphere.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
welp I spent an hour running around on Hoth. It's pretty decent, fun even. Seems smaller than BF2, but that was to be expected. Flying is ok, AT-STs are fun, but very very slow. AT-ATs are boring as fuck. GRPHX are nice. It's running well, i'm getting 60+ outside on 970 with ultra settings. FOV is adjustable. Will probably D1P.
Ah so AT-STs are not on rails. That's good.

Have you played Battlefront I or II? If so can you compare the soldiers and classes you can play (in terms of one is similar/better/worse than the other).
http://www.eastarwars.com/

This is pretty brilliant!:D
Fuck this graphic now that Sam said you can fly and you can play AT-STs, too. Geez, I got confused because of the negative X. Don't put no damn Red X if something hasn't been confirmed yet.

I'm not sure if 40 players is good or bad. I do know that 64 players in Battlefield is overkill and results in no change in capture territory and instead everybody becomes immortal because defibbing, infinite grenades because infinite ammo boxes, no change in territory at all.

So usually in Battlefield clan matches they play 16v16. But... I don't ever remember having problems playing 32v32 in Battlefront I/II. I guess it depends on map design (size), and gladly the AAA devs will hand map design over to someone who's never done map design, but loves modern art, so have fun staring at nonsense while the enemy team is pummeling you because they have better assault routes and better defensive positions.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
64 man matches only become stalemates if both teams are bad and usually only on infantry centric maps. The norm is that flags get pushed all the time and territorries switch. Talking about Battlefield 2/3/4 here, havent played Battlefront but cant imagine it is different there.

Medic trains and constant reviving was only a problem in BF3

Battlefield clan matches are a joke, there is no real competitive scene

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Have you played Battlefront I or II? If so can you compare the soldiers and classes you can play (in terms of one is similar/better/worse than the other).

Played them long long time ago, so i don't remember much. However, in the Alpha there are no classes. There are 4 main weapons and 2 loadouts, one with jetpack, grenade launcher and something else and another one with rocket launcher, personal shield and grenades. Also the health recharges and very fast, so with personal shield you can always run away and get back to full health. Also, after a dozen or so matches i've neve seen empire win, probably because there is no teamplay whatsoever. There are no squads, but there is a buddy system, so you can spawn on your buddy. The level up system seems to be straight from battlefield with points for kills and points from objectives(defending the relay points, destroying at-st, damaging at-at), those points then get converted to credits, but after that there is no way of spending them(tho "credits" could be a sign of microtransactions)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
64 man matches only become stalemates if both teams are bad
Pub games are always bad. By corollary, 64 man matches are shit unless you're grinding points or finding stupid people to snipe because I'm an asshole.

havent played Battlefront but cant imagine it is different there.
I don't need to imagine, I can just remember.

Medic trains and constant reviving was only a problem in BF3
I've done my own constantly reviving for grinding points so just stop right there.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've now played over 3000 hours all battlefields together and almost exclusively play Conquest Large 64 players. Those stalemates you mention happen in maybe 5% of the matches and oddly enough almost everytime majority of players are americans. :p

All other matches if you dont constantly cap flags and overwhelm the enemy you WILL get roflstomped.

What you call grinding I call doing the job the class was made for, keeping your team and pushes alive.

Pub games are only shit if you pkay with shit players. Play with a decent squad and it will be fun. If you are alone, look for players that ptfo and join their squad

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
GIVE ME THE FUKIN ALPha

let me play it pls

give me your origin account and pass

I suk ur dick 4 it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom