Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront

DemonKing

Arcane
I fooled around a bit with the beta - my impression was it would be a fun game to play on a console with my 7 year old, but as a PC shooter fan it was pretty disappointing. I don't get why adding a server browser is such a big issue for developers these days. Adding that one feature alone will attract more PC gamers than anything else.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Jedi Outcast and its sequel Jedi Academy still are the best that lightsaber combat has ever been done, disregarding all that motion crap stuff and the trite that is The Force Unleashed.
Academy online was pretty fun. I actually haven't played single player, maybe I should.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I had hopes for this at start, now they are all gone. Good that Fallout 4 is few days earlier, nothing is lost.

Caim

Arcane
Academy online was pretty fun. I actually haven't played single player, maybe I should.
Jedi Academy single player IS a ton of fun. Sure, the story isn't all that with the disjointed side missions that fill up the main bulk of the game, but the gameplay's tight.

Do make sure to have invested in Force Absorb by the end of the second batch of missions, otherwise you're going to have a bad time with the boss of the end of that part of the game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Eh, academy sp campaign was so-so. A lot of disjointed missions and quality was all over the place. Including a couple of really annoying "puzzle" missions like the floor is lava one.

pippin

You could avoid that, since you only had to do 4 out of 5 missions to progress each chapter (iirc).
The thing that used to upset me a little bit was how they advise you to stay in one path of the Force, that is, focus on Light or Dark side powers. I took it to heart and during my first playthrough I only invested in Light powers, but I think there's a point in the game where you fight alongside Kyle Katarn and he uses a lot of Dark side powers.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
You could avoid that, since you only had to do 4 out of 5 missions to progress each chapter (iirc).
The thing that used to upset me a little bit was how they advise you to stay in one path of the Force, that is, focus on Light or Dark side powers. I took it to heart and during my first playthrough I only invested in Light powers, but I think there's a point in the game where you fight alongside Kyle Katarn and he uses a lot of Dark side powers.
That's an issue with Star Wars games in general though. In KOTOR you pretty much have to invest in force powers that're opposite to your alignment if you have any hope of being effective in a fight (especially if you're a Jedi consular, in which case 90% of the damage-dealing force powers are in the dark side camp and all the healing/buffing powers are in the light), which leads to wacky situations like Jed who're 100% on the light side using the force to choke-slam motherfuckers and zap them to death with Sith lightning.

pippin

Actually, I kind of dislike the jedis as a thing in Star Wars. I prefer almost everything else (well, excluding Jar Jar et al). I just want more games like Republic Commando.

anus_pounder

Arcane
That's an issue with Star Wars games in general though. In KOTOR you pretty much have to invest in force powers that're opposite to your alignment if you have any hope of being effective in a fight (especially if you're a Jedi consular, in which case 90% of the damage-dealing force powers are in the dark side camp and all the healing/buffing powers are in the light), which leads to wacky situations like Jed who're 100% on the light side using the force to choke-slam motherfuckers and zap them to death with Sith lightning.

You could larp that you're actually using Electric Judgement. :lol:

No comment on force choke though, do jedis have a light side variant of that?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
There are no direct damage dealing powers on the Light side, they usually rely on disables like Force Push, Stasis and have their team deal the damage with buffs.
Anyways, I kinda want to pre-order but decided against this game since the gunplay is terrible and I really don't see myself 'playing it for the vehicular combat' since most vehicles are camped 'power-up tokens' instead of actual vehicles parked in hangars. Quite retarded really.

dunno lah

Arcane

Well, at least Kyle, your master said this in the tutorial: "Remember: abilities are not inherently good or evil, it's how you use them."

Cadmus

Arcane
The light/dark side is kinda an EU bullshit in my opinion. In the OT Luke is shown doing force grip without any trouble. Kyle Katarn is a badass who don't care about nuffin and is shown using anything he can to fuck his enemy up.

Old One

Arcane
Actually, I kind of dislike the jedis as a thing in Star Wars. I prefer almost everything else (well, excluding Jar Jar et al). I just want more games like Republic Commando.
I would be pretty nice to see some Star Wars games without Jedi and Force powers in them. That's supposed to be a rare thing, after all. It should be possible to find something else exciting to do in that universe.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The light/dark side is kinda an EU bullshit in my opinion. In the OT Luke is shown doing force grip without any trouble. Kyle Katarn is a badass who don't care about nuffin and is shown using anything he can to fuck his enemy up.
Yeah, if you think about it, jedis are so opposed to grip somebody at the throat, but they have no problem with slicing somebody up to pieces with their lightsabre. Light side, dark side should not be about force powers, as you said, it's about how you use it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah, if you think about it, jedis are so opposed to grip somebody at the throat, but they have no problem with slicing somebody up to pieces with their lightsabre. Light side, dark side should not be about force powers, as you said, it's about how you use it.
I've always looked at Star Wars as a work of art that is what it is. Not high art or anything, but it's a fantasy, unlike Star Trek.
It may not be worthy of such view, but the sperging about power levels and dark and light side points and blaster functions spoils it, in my opinion.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I would be pretty nice to see some Star Wars games without Jedi and Force powers in them. That's supposed to be a rare thing, after all. It should be possible to find something else exciting to do in that universe.

Star Wars Galaxies went for YEARS without a single Jedi.

I rather liked Jedi Knight where lightsabers and force powers exist, but are generally impractical, unwieldy and (in the case of the powers) too expensive.

To be fair in the original trilogy Jedi weren't exactly slicing people up left and right. There's the thug in the Tatooine bar (who might have lived?) and the guys on Jabba's Yacht. Lightsabers are pretty clearly presented as a defensive weapon + tool to cut through objects. It's a pity there's no stealth-focused Jedi game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well I preordered it now.

Still excite for it, despite it being somewhat disappointing towards what it couldve been. But what we gonna get is still fun I expect.

Cadmus

Arcane
Well I preordered it now.

Still excite for it, despite it being somewhat disappointing towards what it couldve been. But what we gonna get is still fun I expect.
I can't decide if you're daedalos or addeeededed

Cadmus

Arcane
You should apologize for being born.
That sounds more like Deadeleaso, addeeded would have said something like "Battlefront 3 is a great game. My favourite game is Gothic 3. Just perfect." and completely ignored my post.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
That sounds more like Deadeleaso, addeeded would have said something like "Battlefront 3 is a great game. My favourite game is Gothic 3. Just perfect." and completely ignored my post.

Hey you know, speaking of ignore. Welcome to my ignore list, faggot. Nobody gives two shits about what you have to say. A special feat indeed.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Even in the EU, Luke's philosophy and Academy was much more "gray." Just like the Jolee O.G. Bindo.

The shitty way the rest of the EU handled it (and how the prequels handled it) was just nerds being autist, taking the OT super literal. Palpatine's lightning was just used to visually convey a sense of evil at that specific moment. It was just a cinematic tool for that minute or so.

Plus it's not like Vader ran around shooting lightning. Or even using Force Choke much. Most of his offensive use of the Force was just throwing heavy shit around. Which is a "Light Side Power."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom