Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - now with lootbox drama

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It does have a level playing field, however.

That's were 99 % of people are wrong atm.
So you keep telling us. However, unfortunately for you, none of us believe a single lying word you utter, so EA can go make a loss off the game.

Lol don't take my word for it. If any of you stupid morons actually played the game, you would know, that MT have been disabled for weeks now, and isn't likely to return in any shape or form like that again.
Adding to that, star card power level has been grossly overblown, and it a non issue with the exception of a few.

But again, you mongols would know that instantly and factually, IF you actually played the game, and not just sat around here bitching like a couple of grimy sluts, and not real star wars fans.

kek

Cael

Arcane

So you keep telling us. However, unfortunately for you, none of us believe a single lying word you utter, so EA can go make a loss off the game.

Lol don't take my word for it. If any of you stupid morons actually played the game, you would know, that MT have been disabled for weeks now, and isn't likely to return in any shape or form like that again.
Adding to that, star card power level has been grossly overblown, and it a non issue with the exception of a few.

But again, you mongols would know that instantly and factually, IF you actually played the game, and not just sat around here bitching like a couple of grimy sluts, and not real star wars fans.

kek
That we are not taking your word for it is precisely why we want nothing to do with Battlefront. Pay attention, kid.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

kek
That we are not taking your word for it is precisely why we want nothing to do with Battlefront. Pay attention, kid.

Cael

Arcane

kek

Aww, someone is jealous because I am younger than him. Poor thing. Must suck to be that covered in wrinkles and having the urge to yell "Get off my EA!" all the time.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

kek

Aww, someone is jealous because I am younger than him. Poor thing. Must suck to be that covered in wrinkles and having the urge to yell "Get off my EA!" all the time.

I'm not saying you shouldn't critisize EA, I never did that. I'm saying stop critisizing the game itself and making up direct lies, when the game itself is great and the developers at DICE did alot of good work.

Cael

Arcane
I'm not saying you shouldn't critisize EA, I never did that. I'm saying stop critisizing the game itself and making up direct lies, when the game itself is great and the developers at DICE did alot of good work.

What is that I hear?

(faintly from a distance): Get off my EA!

Mark Richard

Arcane
I for one am glad you're happy with your purchase (well, 'glad' is a strong word, I just don't celebrate when customers feel like they've been cheated), but I don't think it's going to keep your attention over the next few months or make a lasting impression.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's why games like Foxhole feels so damn fun. That game has a whole logistic system, all run by the players and if that collapse - have fun fighting bullets with your fists. Just makes me wonder what could have been if big money publishers like EA would be behind something like that.

Falksi

Arcane
EA Is Taking A Financial Beating Over Star Wars: Battlefront 2

After weeks of [URL='https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1728999/one-us-state-will-investigate-star-wars-battlefront-2-loot-boxes']controversy kicked off by questionable microtransaction practices used in Star Wars Battlefront II, it looks like publisher EA is finally paying the (literal) price. Based on recent reports, the company's stock value has taken a hit worth billions of dollars.[/URL]
https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1...inancial-beating-over-star-wars-battlefront-2
https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1...inancial-beating-over-star-wars-battlefront-2

TC Jr

Scholar
Sort of out of the loop but why is this just a problem now? Other games have had loot crates blah blah, is it because it's Star Wars (kids predominately playing)?

Sort of out of the loop but why is this just a problem now? Other games have had loot crates blah blah, is it because it's Star Wars (kids predominately playing)?

It's very normie-recognizable as bad. If you tell someone about how you need to pay to respec in an MMO or w/e, they'll just ask why you are bothering them with dumb nerd shit. If you tell someone that paying $60 for a star wars game means you now need to continue rolling on a real-money slot machine to play Vader, they can tell that shit is fucked.

"think of the kids" is just aimed at politicians.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cause this one had a mobile game like microtransactions. Like those "free" games where you start playing and then they hit you with a timed wall after 10 minutes of gameplay so they urge you to buy their virtual currency.
Same thing here but you paid 60 bucks already and expect a full featured game. Then you start it and get the urge to play with Darth Vader but its locked behind a paywall or a 40 hour grind.

Other games like Assassins creed have also built in buy-to-cheat mechanism to get things faster but it wont lock away any content from you.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
DP_EWS6VQAEuAMZ.jpg:large

Cael

Arcane
Did the idea that the lead is an Indian EVER come up as a discussion point AT ALL anywhere? Or is that EA shill making things up like our dear Mengsk?

Drakron

Arcane

Because this Star Wars:Battlefront II game was a example of EA entire strategy for future games, its something they already started with Ultimate Team in their sports titles, the overwhelming negative reaction and rejection puts in doubt EA entire commercial strategy for their future games, not only due it seemingly be a commercial failure but also by rejection from Disney of said strategy and even threats of government intervention.

This is why EA is keep saying microtransations arent going away because its the foundation of their entire commercial strategy,they cannot even go back because their whole planning for future games was set using Star Wars:Battlefront II model.

Cael

Arcane
EA games appeal mainly to feminists, non-gamers and fascists.

Can't wait how they'll rape the next Dragon Age. Slay a dragon to unlock an Anita Sarkeesian?
No. Sleep with the misunderstood transgender homosexual Kossith Qunari-Darkspawn hybrid. Slaying dragons is toxic masculinity.

Santander02

Arcane

4:55: I'm sure you don't need that spine anymore, after all, dice hasn't had any need of a backbone in years.

My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If EA lost the Star Wars license, who should get it next?

By PC Gamer 3 days ago

Our hypothetical weekend question.
67nEZG3ijy2SgmZMhhynwB-320-80.jpg

Welcome back to the PC Gamer Q&A. Every week, we ask our panel of PCG writers a question about PC gaming. This week, a big hypothetical one with no basis in reality: if EA lost the Star Wars license, who should get it next? This follows a petition to 'revoke' EA's ten-year Star Wars license—like someone's been drunk at the cockpit of an X-Wing or something—but it's more an excuse to discuss the Star Wars games we'd love to see and probably never will. We'd like to read your suggestions in the comments, too.

Andy Kelly: SCS Software

missing-image.svg

Yes, that's the studio that makes Euro Truck Simulator. But hear me out. The Star Wars universe is an expansive one, and I think games need to branch out beyond lightsabers and space battles. So I'd love to see SCS make a game about being a space trucker in a galaxy far, far away. Picture it. Piloting a chunky old cargo ship, delivering a load of blue milk from Scarif to Coruscant. Or maybe it'll set on one planet, with you driving around the deserts of Tatooine, delivering cargo between moisture farms and spaceports. I've had my fill of the exciting stuff from the movies: I'd love a new, more grounded perspective on the Star Wars universe, and SCS is the studio that could pull it off.

Chris Livingston: Introversion Software

missing-image.svg

I'd give it Introversion Software. I love Prison Architect, and I want some kind of deep Star Wars sim management game. A couple years ago I played PA's escape mode with a Star Wars mod, which was fun and a nice fit. But I'd love to really plan and build a proper Death Star, manage the staff, keep the construction on schedule, force-choke lazy foremen, sic some hovering torture bots on captured rebels, keep a few more battalions on the forest moon to protect the shield generator, blow up a few peaceful planets to test my superlaser, and double-check the blueprints to definitely make sure there aren't any thermal exhaust ports just below the main port.

James Davenport: MachineGames

missing-image.svg

Give it to MachineGames. With the last two Wolfenstein games, the studio performed a miracle in turning an absurd alternate history premise starring the walking embodiment of testosterone into something that handled gravitas and gunfights better than most modern games. Imagine a Star Wars game with better writing and characters than the films. Imagine mowing down Stormtroopers (how appropriate) with some hulking prototype blasters and homebrew lightsabers. For a game to truly emulate how Star Wars movies feel when we watch them, it needs a team like Machine Games that can conjure people as memorable as any Han Solo and brief, loosely directed action to carry them along. Mostly though, I just want to take a space hatchet to some Sith.

Tyler Wilde: Larian Studios

missing-image.svg

Take Divinity: Original Sin 2, double the budget and throw Star Wars junk in and you've got a beautiful freeform co-op Star Wars RPG that would surely be handled more deftly than 'do bad things and get more Dark Side points.' I'm imagining turn-based combat with Force abilities and blasters, a starship to act as your home, and a story that wanders as far away from the films as possible. Must let us play as aliens, too. Why don't more Star Wars games let you play as non-humans?

Jarred Walton: InXile

missing-image.svg

InXile—I've really enjoyed the Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera games, and those were done on a shoestring budget compared to what the company could do with Star Wars. Give us a deeper, meaningful story with turn-based combat mechanics. The options for weaponry and Force powers would be there as well, plus some base building, spaceship combat, and more. Basically, it would be a modernized take on KOTOR, perhaps set in the period between Episodes VI and VII. The game could have you playing as the First Order, done in a fashion similar to Tie Fighter where the rebels are treated like the bad guys.

Tim Clark: Respawn, but making a new Dark Forces

missing-image.svg

I'd actually be okay with EA keeping it, on the proviso that Respawn gets explicit orders to reboot the Dark Forces series which, in this hypothetical corporate wonderland, it has also painlessly acquired the licence to. The finished game will have you playing as an elite Stormtrooper captain, like Phasma but less lame, and will feature a needlessly controversial intra-level sequence in which you have to laser loads of younglings. Vince, if you're reading this, call me.

Wes Fenlon: Supergiant Games

missing-image.svg

After Pyre, I honestly have no idea what a Supergiant-developed Star Wars game would be like. Bastion and Transistor are similar on their surface, but play dramatically differently, and Pyre is a strange hybrid of visual novel and sport. Supergiant makes a point to do something different and new and surprising with every game. Surely they'd make a Star Wars game unlike any other. And you know it would be beautiful.

Jody Macgregor: Obsidian

missing-image.svg

I'm giving the lazy answer: let Obsidian have it. Or at least give it to Bethesda and then they can rent it out to Obsidian to drive on the weekends. So long as they get to make more games like Knights of the Old Republic 2, only with better combat. And enough time to put a proper ending in.

Samuel Roberts: Marauder Interactive

missing-image.svg

No one's suggested a starship combat game yet, and that's what I'd like to see. Marauder's House of the Dying Sun marks the last time I really enjoyed a space-based combat/tactical game, and I'd love to see X-Wing brought back in that fashion. Basically, the same game with X-Wings and TIE Fighters sounds great to me. Maybe I just want a mod?

While Battlefront has been a rocky road, though, and Visceral's Star Wars game ended up being a sad tale, I still think we'll get some decent games out of EA. Bethesda aside, I can't think of many publishers who would realistically be able to afford the licence and do a better job with it. Respawn is a safe pair of hands, and BioWare is bound to make a singleplayer Star Wars game again. Both of those would make me pretty happy, assuming the loot crate content for both is non-existent.

http://www.pcgamer.com/if-ea-lost-the-star-wars-license-who-should-get-it-next/#comment-jump

Drakron

Arcane
What a stupid article.

If Disney decides to revoke EA license and give it to someone else, its going to be someone with money and that means Ubisoft or Activision. They arent going to give the license away or give it to people that cannot publish the title.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What a stupid article.

If Disney decides to revoke EA license and give it to someone else, its going to be someone with money and that means Ubisoft or Activision. They arent going to give the license away or give it to people that cannot publish the title.
Most likely they will do it themself and won't give shit about the other devs. Any way,in good star wars fashion any future games will be shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom