Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Star Traders: Frontiers - space sandbox game by Trese Brothers

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I get similar vibes but kind of from Cherrych books.
It work surprisingly well - much better than you could expect from looking at separate elements.
Also death or losing is not rage inducing - at last for me. Strange.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Hello there fellow Spacers.
I recently discover this little game and have a blast(all my chars dead and blasted).

Beginner tips:

1. Play on captain permadeath. Without permadeath a lot of systems don't work properly.
2. Master the default map and take screenshots of quadrant layouts.
3. Back up your save.
4. Learn a ship combat class first, like MO, Commander, Pirate etc. Do patrolling, faction missions, bounty hunting. That's the meat of the game.
5. Feel free to ignore the Faen storyline once you have other options. Doing Faen work will just make you more enemies.

1. Yeah I found it the best way to play game.(I played little on pirate version so I am familiar with the game, also have like 5 runs on legal one so I get the basic).
2. Sound advice.
3. Nah. Lets the bodies hit the floor.
4. Got basic secured. Still escape talents looks like very needed.
5. No spoilers. Also more enemies mean more opportunities.

Damn. Already get 20 hours(WHEN?).

Morkar Left

Sticking with the default map is good advice. Knowing the map layout will really help you handling the factions. Don't pushing the Faen storyline too far is probably good advice as well. It's not finished anyway and maybe you should keep it for release version. Backing your save really helps to play further to learn rthe mechanics. Everything else is really optional. Especially play the mission types you like. Playing your captain the way you want is one of the best parts of the game.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I will only add that Cheat Engine works great and x3 speed is amazing as game suffers from similar to BB syndrome(wasting player time).

Morkar Left

Huh? it's entirely turnbased and speed is basically as fast as you can click around. Even the animations in combat are short.

Morkar Left

Ok, that I can get. But it's a small issue overall and the ui gets constnatly improved. That's basically what ea is for. They actually are listening pretty good for such improvements. They just have priorities when comes what. And that i'm perfectly fine with.

Morkar Left

Dunno, I check the messages on the log when flying to see what is going on

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Well log is nice but seriously x3 faster speed is a blessing.
Also amount of clicking, sub-menus and limited access to information(usually inducing more clicking or small hidden text is annoying) is really annoying.
Still its good nice game to waste time but as far as I go I did not beat level 10 yet.
Wish me luck.

Ruchy

Scholar
When is the projected release date of this? I am struggling to resist jumping in prematurely.

Codex Year of the Donut
http://steamcommunity.com/games/335620/announcements/detail/1662261735495278611

Update #32: Weaving Era Storylines
58259EF91F047F9B3873E97241821C0DAC61F81B

Following on the release of the first Era, we're continuing the pressure on storyline, UIs and content to wrap up v2.1.1. Eras are unique periods in the galaxy's timeline, in which both the rules of the sandbox and contact motivations all shift as well as a time to tell special the stories of the Star Traders. You can see this in action through the Arbiter's storyline where you can drive the birth of the Era, and now with Update #32 we're expanding that content to include new inter-era storylines.

New Era Storyline
Each Era will be populated with story arcs that fit specifically within its framework. The new "Rabble Rousers" arc may be introduced through a Contact you know, and will give more perspective on the ongoing turmoil that the grav society is going through during the Second Founding.

Each era will include story arcs of different lengths. With this newest storyline, we've introduced a new method for connecting your known contacts to storylines -- matching an era, contact and contact traits together to provide matching storylines. This will allow us to drive storylines through more of the contacts you know and link the storylines, and their associated risks, into your existing network.

New Talents
We've added 3 new Talents this release to continue rounding out the Jobs that still have unfinished Talents. Both the Quartermaster and the high rank Crew Dog gained a Talent to help purge crew crippling effects like Crew Panic in ship combat. Each purge Talent also comes with a useful buff that lasts a few turns, especially valuable is the Quartermaster's ability to protect against crew damage.

Military Officers gained a new ability to increase Ransom profits in ship combat victory.

We're down to a final Crew Dog Talent, 2 Pilot Talents and 3 Engineer Talents and we'll have reached full coverage. At that point, we'll start looking at filling in a few more or adding new Jobs altogether!

9B73E647CD9DC46AE92462971BC4EEA5238D9A8D

HUD and UI Improvements
Cranking through the list of major HUD improvements, we have now added the Crew List button to the main HUD. You no longer need to go into the main Ship Status to reach Cargo or Crew -- the three are now completely separate.

The starport ship upgrade screen now highlights prices of components you can't afford in red for quick association.

We've fixed the annoying issue with your credit count not refreshing properly after a Mission is completed. Enough people reported "credits gone missing" and we were able to track this down.

v2.1.5 - 2/7/2018
- Added new Second Founding storyline, 'Rabble Rousers' narrative
- Crew List button now available on main HUD - single click to get to leveling
- Added new Military Officer Talent at Rank 8 - Honorable Ransom, increases ransom profit
- Added new Crew Dog Talent at Rank 11 - Veteran Clarity for ship combat
- Added new Quartermaster Talent at Rank 11 - Regimented Order for ship combat
- Ship upgrade listing now highlights component prices you cannot afford in red
- Improved ship combat victory messages in regards to rules for pirates and smugglers
- New Game Template description of Contacts includes specific recruit type
- Fixed credit refresh issue after running mission
- Cargo button or H key toggles in and out of cargo screens

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice, we can conscript crew now.
You could always conscript crew, it was just a risky move, since they come with morale penalties, generally have poorer stats than a player can recruit, and are typically from an enemy faction which has its own issues. Even if you have the right QM build to handle them. Conscript is really just to fill the ranks you lost until you can replace them.
Don't remember seeing it as an option earlier.
Or maybe I had no survivors.

Morkar Left

When is the projected release date of this? I am struggling to resist jumping in prematurely.

You can jump in right now and already learn the mechanics. The game has different storylines you may want to not spoil till full release but the rest of the game is completely playable on its own.

Morkar Left

what's up with all the portraits, everyone looks like they have some kind of disorder

The art style is something you have to get used to. It's too cartoonish for my taste but it grows on you over time. If they finetune the different portraits and bring in more options to customize I can even enjoy it.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Jump. Its good enough to risk meeting one or two sharks.
I thought the same about Darkest Dungeon - played 25-30 hours in EA, but when it was released I didn't manage more than 5 hours, never finished it and don't think I'll go back.

It's definitely on my wishlist, but right now it still seems pretty raw and I hope they can do something to make the character look less comic-like. The style is quite off-putting and doesn't fit the setting.

Codex Year of the Donut
what's up with all the portraits, everyone looks like they have some kind of disorder

The art style is something you have to get used to. It's too cartoonish for my taste but it grows on you over time. If they finetune the different portraits and bring in more options to customize I can even enjoy it.
the new art they've released for contacts in recent updates is far better, I hope they go back and redo the characters with the same artist

Codex Year of the Donut
http://steamcommunity.com/games/335620/announcements/detail/1662261735506433655
Update #33: Skipping off the Void
February 10 - Trese Brothers
b3554d359a633cc9d36a0cf424914b58709b18b6.png

Another big update is welcoming Star Traders: Frontiers to the weekend. We're still grinding out enhancements on the v2.1.x family of the roadmap and adding polish to areas that have needed it. We owe a huge thanks to all of our captains who are leaving reviews to power more updates, sharing the game with friends and posting feedback to the boards, our forums or joining us in Discord.

Load the Cargo, ye Crew Dogs!
Update #33 introduces a fully functional cargo hover to the newly enabled cargo button. Hover over the cargo counts to see a full list of your current cargo, counts, Faction ownership and indicators of permit and legality. We've also wired up the hotkey 'H' to open the cargo hold and close it as well. Update #31 brought the cargo within a single click and now Update #33 reduces it to a hover.

16084021AAAF14C2E3DD1DC11CA036E595A3D062

Ship Combat Upgrades
The ship combat event log now includes entries for all Crippling Effects. In the screenshot above, you can see exactly which weapon attack caused which Crippling Effect. Our ship hit with a Hellfire Torpedo which caused Electrical Fires but the enemy struck back with their Firestorm Torepdo which caused Aftershocks debuff in return.

We're pressing forward with upgrades in both crew and ship combat to increase the enemy's strategic intelligence as well as crew and ship building capabilities. The enemy Captain is now better at organizing the crew that they are sending into boarding attack or defense combats. Getting the right fighters in the right slots helps the crew combat AI execute in a more deadly fashion, so be ware.

We've enacted some re-balancing on long ranged weapons -- Torps and Missiles -- to make them more sensitive to being fired outside of their optimal ranges. In addition, Torps trade some Standard Damage for higher Crippling Chance.

Why Not - A few More?
We've reinstated the rule that a mission that will require a Passenger or a Prisoner requires your ship to have a prison cell or a passenger cabin. Too many captains were accepting these missions without realizing the requirement. You won't be blocked by conflicting "potential passengers" but you need at least one of the mission components installed to get started.

If you're getting Critical Hits in Crew Combat -- expect a damage spike! Raising your Tactics Skill for extra Crit Chance % and watch the damage fly.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! Check the full list below for all the items and be sure to leave a review!

v2.1.7 - 2/9/2018
- Added hover to Cargo button in the bottom left - hover to see the contents of your hold
- Improved Critical Damage for crew combat critical hits
- In Ship Combat, Crippling Hits are now shown in the turn events, linking each weapon attack to each crippling effect
- Rebalanced Crippling Chance / Standard Damage / Critical Chance of Torpedoes and Missiles
- Torpedoes and Missiles are less accurate when fired outside of their optimal range
- Better honored understaffed rules during ship combat - keep your crew staffed!
- Improved AI's ability to organize combat team during boarding
- Accepting a prisoner or passenger mission requires at least a prison cell or passenger cabin on ship
- Rumor icon now updates on Orbit screen if the rumor state advances on orbit/landed screen
- Improved Reputation loss / gain logging in Ship Victory
- Artifacts gathered during Exploring are properly set as Xeno Faction
- Fixed issues with scrolling through Talents and Weapons in Combat going partial rows
- Black Market opens with sell and properly shows your cargo
- Fixed story issues with looping reward for capture of Jarrek Moon
- Fixed map seed issues

Ruchy

Scholar
Ok I jumped in and this is shaping up to be amazing, spent 15 hours playing this yesterday with zero regrets.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously though, what templates are you guys with? I'm really curious if people use templates that do not maximize attributes and skills.

Codex Year of the Donut
Seems best to always put attributes at #1, AFAIK they can't be raised ingame or I haven't found a way to after hours of playing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
You can acquire traits that affect attributes, sure enough.
Seems best to always put attributes at #1, AFAIK they can't be raised ingame or I haven't found a way to after hours of playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom