Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Star Traders: Frontiers - space sandbox game by Trese Brothers

LordofSyn

Scholar
Likewise, you seem active in their community. Maybe you should point them over to this thread?
I have already shared this thread with them directly, but cannot speak for all of you in the depths that you can express yourselves with.

I have also spent so much time as a tester that I am naturally biased and cannot always see the things that new players see. Just being honest.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

LordofSyn

Scholar
ok after burning many hours, here is a guide to those wanting to start their spy(worked on perma death):
- attributes are top priority as they are meaningful and cant be rised. You want to max quickness, fortitude and resilience. It will create tanky combatant you wont have to worry about - except for snipers. Take them out
- skills: pistols, eva, stealth
- level
- ship - you want scout. You will fire all gunners and replace them with useful folks: e-tech and navigators.1st priority is enhancing living quarters to get more skill monkeys. Replace weaponry with spy and mission stuff
- contacts - spying will give you plenty. I suggest getting spy one

if its not clear by now: you will be going for cavity search a lot... or running away. Have at least 1 card from both pilot and navigator that help you run away from combat.
You want to do missions mainly until lvl 8. Trick is that most bad cards... arent that bad if you have a crew to handle skill checks. Medic oficer is god sent. Do not splash him until you get life saver.

Myself im slowly preparing to change ship so i can splash into pirate spy
May I recommend swapping level with Contacts as an alternative.
In the Scout cutter, as a small ship, you will be leveling up crew quickly as the smaller crew will allow you to do so.
Contacts are pretty indispensable and can get you farther than taking an early level buff.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I also think a spy ship (or any ship, really) needs at least one Explorer type character because you will end up on exploration planets eventually. A good strategy is probably to find an Exo-scout via contacts and promote him to explorer officer. An then take up another exoscout as backup.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These recent posts are the kind of feedback that Cory and Andrew want. You can add suggestions on their Forums without even registering and/or make Steam Discussion posts addressing them with any suggestions on how to make them better.

They are, after all, a Two man team and they have already discussed how the Ship combat will be dramatically upgraded once the Small Craft combat is added.

As for the RTGs, I am sure they are aware that it is slightly unbalanced and will be looking at ways to put enough balance in without killing the good feeling of making some nice stacks of credits from taking advantage of those RTGs.

They had one Dev roadmap for EA and are now working on a secondary Dev roadmap from here on out. They are still working on satisfying all of the Backer tiered aspects first.

Actually, I am pretty sure they are already aware of these issues, and they have a flawless track record when it comes to supporting their games for year post launch, so I am not too worried about it.
They usually lean towards complexity anyway. It may be a bit cliché, but I find that the game is more than the sum of its parts currently.

This is the requisition tree for Templar Battleforce after all:

RQTree.png

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kinda funny how I played Templar Battleforce and there you'd enter systems in such deep shit they basically required an exterminatus to cleanse them from Xeno plague. And all just because some stupid greedy Star Trader got lucky and sold some highly restricted xeno artifacts. And you'd think, how could these assholes be so irresponsible.

Now I play a greedy irresponsible Star Trader and when I find xeno artifacts I just loudly blast this over the internal comm system of my ship, figuratively speaking.

Really makes you think
thinking.png

so after tinkering around with several restarts for a few hours , i settled on this template.

i cannot into trading and spying, yet. so first serious playthru crew combat/boarding focused template.

A attributes
max resilience and fortitude
14 str and charisma
rest in quickness and wisdom; prioritising quickness.

b ship
guardian interceptor

c skills
1 blades for offhand
rest in command tactics pistol and evade

d contacts
i dunno ex bouty hunter and fixer maybe

e experience
lv1 millitary officer with stiff salute for easing cavity searches with military officer and zealots. will try to rush boarding for pirates and other criminal scum.

aim is to be a bounty hunter role of sorts focusing on crew combat and boarding; but with levels in military officer, commander and combat medic.

is this too wrong or badly gimped in a way i am overlooking? or can i roll with it.

no fkn clue about ship upgrades crew and officers...

Nirvash

Liturgist
Some tips:

How to rake easy millions, safe and fast:
Start with a jew buddy, quest him until trade 2 and rare goods unlock, sell those to all rich planets you can, sell all weapons and expand cargo for maximun credits.

How do officers work? Officers are the same as normal crew but they can multiclass, so pick explorer-spy (for card talent) since those are hard to come by until mid-late game.
Diplomats and smugglers are handy to have and easy to grab. (as jews/princes/smugglers friends are easy to get and farm)

NEVER do ship fights if you don't really must, the profits are bad if any, you are likely to lose crew and rep hit is big. (well, pirate/commader/zealot at 15 can get the steal ship talent, but you still pay 75%)
The best talent to escape any fight is Skip Off the Void from L11 navigator, mercant/diplomat/smuggler/spy got similar talents but they only work vs specific humans.
If you see the "xenos in the system" or you see a xeno ship card and you are at hard/permadeath... GET THE FUCK OUT.
Surrender is very ok to pirates (if you can lose the cargo) or the police if you don't have nothing to hide.

5 Lv5 gunner with Supremacy of Firepower (remove risk card at patrol) is all you need for easy farm rep.

GET 2 OR MORE DOCTORS, always take life saver and medical staff.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some tips:

How to rake easy millions, safe and fast:
Start with a jew buddy, quest him until trade 2 and rare goods unlock, sell those to all rich planets you can, sell all weapons and expand cargo for maximun credits.

How do officers work? Officers are the same as normal crew but they can multiclass, so pick explorer-spy (for card talent) since those are hard to come by until mid-late game.
Diplomats and smugglers are handy to have and easy to grab. (as jews/princes/smugglers friends are easy to get and farm)

NEVER do ship fights if you don't really must, the profits are bad if any, you are likely to lose crew and rep hit is big. (well, pirate/commader/zealot at 15 can get the steal ship talent, but you still pay 75%)
The best talent to escape any fight is Skip Off the Void from L11 navigator, mercant/diplomat/smuggler/spy got similar talents but they only work vs specific humans.
If you see the "xenos in the system" or you see a xeno ship card and you are at hard/permadeath... GET THE FUCK OUT.
Surrender is very ok to pirates (if you can lose the cargo) or the police if you don't have nothing to hide.

5 Lv5 gunner with Supremacy of Firepower (remove risk card at patrol) is all you need for easy farm rep.

GET 2 OR MORE DOCTORS, always take life saver and medical staff.
Which ship do you start with? Galtek feighter?

Nirvash

Liturgist
Ships are just a mass and a number of components you can put in, bigger is always better.

LordofSyn

Scholar
Spies rely on electronics more than resilience. When Spying, you will be using the skill pools of all crew who have the Spy job and even any components on ship that can be installed to buff that skill pool. It does not rely on the Captain alone.

Inherent skills are good to keep an eye out for. Say your Doctor has Blades skill in brackets. In order to utilize that Blades skill effectively, you'll want to take a secondary or tertiary job that uses blades (like swordsman/zealot/assassin).

The bigger the ship does not always mean the better the ship. Smaller ships have the advantage of faster leveling for all crew as you have less crew to spread the XP around to from your actions. Combat Crew should be in two or more teams if possible so you can rotate out to make sure that everyone can get XP faster. It also prevents some fatigue and morale loss and allows you to be fairly fluid with boarding or exploring, as examples.
There are already a lot of ship components and more on the way, so you can really modify your ship in some interesting ways to specialize different ships for different activities.

Be careful with picking your Officer multi jobs because you can retrain Talents (for a small amount of credits) but cannot change out jobs once they are picked. During the Alpha, it was not unheard of to have Officers (Your Captain is also an Officer) take one Ship-ops type job (like crew dog, gunner, navigator, pilot) in addition to maybe a Combat job. This also allowed your ship wide skill pool to be more consistent early on while allowing you to let some of your standard crew go so that you could get specialized crew in their place.

You can have multiple ships. I have had A Galtek Freighter tweaked for exploring and a secondary Galtek for hauling. Both have the same amount of Officer cabins and crew bunks so that when I switch between them, i do not have to fire or hire anyone. This way, I can use Ship A to focus on Exploring to reap the most rewards and some combat with scavs/surface pirates/ and maybe Xeno, and the use Ship B to go back and grab everything that I stashed to go sell. There is no wrong way to play.
They do not have to be the same ship. I just did it that way.

Patrolling is not the only way nor even the easiest way to gain rep. You can do it through trading with Merchant Talents. You also are never set in stone with Talents on anyone. Some traits can be fixed by Chasein and Gestalt doctor contacts, but you can always Retrain any crew if you feel that you can get better results by shifting their Talents around.

I will add more advice later.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
I think I'm giving up on larping a spy in tiny fast ship for now. Sometimes escaping from battle just doesn't work and then you are fucked.

Gonna go with a bigger ship this time round and see how that plays out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom