Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Star Traders: Frontiers - space sandbox game by Trese Brothers

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As someone already mentioned it in this thread - the game could use animation speed up option.
I've spent majority of my playing time watching my ship slowly crawling through space, or waiting for the combat turn animations.
Doesn't Cheat Engine speedhack work for the game?

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Yeah? Nothing wrong with that.
Is a space game, you fly around, you deal with bad people, you play a card game, you do quest and grind rep and stuff.
Always.
1SBLQl2.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
having self respect and trying to put up a fight is not a good idea at all early game.
I just board the fuckers repeatedly until I kill the captain.

You can get strong ship (Dragon Cruiser) at the very start and be able to beat any pirate or bounty hunter you come across. Just pick Military Commander, Bounty hunter or Zealot as starting class (pirate is good too but I am not into playing as criminal scum, have one combat skill at decent level, intimidate, command and tactics too. forget about blades they seems to suck Space Kalashnikovs are much more potent tool of carnage during boarding it seams and even pistol is better. So far I do like the graphics and its style its not WH40K but is not gay/people in space pajamas the setting is interesting again not GD but no hippies in space/ST and game is very addictive too. Will probably get bored if the story line is too short and game will become repetitive too much but hey its already better RPG (but not space combat sim) than Starsector.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
forget about blades they seems to suck
Wrong, Comrade. With the right talents, it's capable of survival and damage.

You might be right comrade checked the game again and had blade one during this fight... from what I gathered the contacts seems to be so worthless its safe to put them low and get good abilities and strong ship and more skill points. Give your captain Captain skills too; intimidate, command and tactics are very often checked during space travel. I like the game very much will buy it as son as it will be put onto GOG.

i was ready to pay my pound of flesh when i read that this is just a 2 men studios (not a problem) without any plan to support modding.

LordofSyn

Scholar
Star Traders live and die by their Contacts. If you choose priority E for Contacts, be sure to get Talents that will help you gain more. Also, make sure you drop the Arbiter off at Faen's so you can get him as a free Prince. Still worthwhile, even if you are going to ignore that story.

As for Blades, they are quite deadly with the right Talents...especially Assassins.

As for the "story", there are several smaller stories and side quests that run alongside the Faen arc and much, much, more to come.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
without any plan to support modding

afaik they might be adding modding support.

other than that they are essentially their own greatest modders, their other games still get massive content updates quite frequently, sometimes half a decade after release, so I am 100% certain they will continue to add content and features to STF too.

LordofSyn

Scholar
afaik they might be adding modding support.

other than that they are essentially their own greatest modders, their other games still get massive content updates quite frequently, sometimes half a decade after release, so I am 100% certain they will continue to add content and features to STF too.
They have mentioned that they hope to be able to add Steam Workshop support eventually. That is as close as modding will get in time.

Beowulf

Arcane
... from what I gathered the contacts seems to be so worthless its safe to put them low and get good abilities and strong ship and more skill points.
Contacts are lifeblood of a trader. Even playing other "classes" you should never underestimate them. You'll need them to get access to faction missions, so you'll be able to repair/refuel in sectors. And if you are playing combat heavy captain, you will get negative rep with many factions very quickly.

i must be doing something veeeeery wrong then because the ONLY decent source of money are missions, anything else is peanuts and/or extremely risky, like hunting for xeno stuffies while exploring. even with level 6 weapons xenos are too dangerous.

LordofSyn

Scholar
i must be doing something veeeeery wrong then because the ONLY decent source of money are missions, anything else is peanuts and/or extremely risky, like hunting for xeno stuffies while exploring. even with level 6 weapons xenos are too dangerous.
You will want multiple income sources.
Always be trading..just be sure to watch for Conflicts and Rumors. You can exploit these too.
Spying may not make you a ton of money, but the leverage is the Intel which can help you grow Faction and Personal Rep with Contacts.
Exploring, while risky, is also a worthwhile action as you can find goods that you will sell at pure profit.
Patrolling will net you some okay money, but also allows you to assist in some Conflicts and allow you to take on ships that might be sneaking around.
Blockading will help you find pirates and smugglers. You can lift Permitted goods from Pirates at no real loss of Rep. Just be sure not to destroy the pirate ship.
Black market can be used to sell in demand and rare trade goods...

Want your missions and other actions to garner you even more credits? Start buying Military ranks with friendly Factions. The higher the Mil rank and even Edicts, the better paying and tougher missions you can get.

I hope that helps you Captain, to make better informed decisions so that you can start building your own personal fleet of ships.

Nirvash

Liturgist
I made 4 millions in a 2h max difficulty game by selling the rare goods from mercant/pirate contacts to a rich/farming planets rotation.
I hope you have fixed that.

Got best ship with the best stuff... and it change nothing, just bigger numbers.

LordofSyn

Scholar
I made 4 millions in a 2h max difficulty game by selling the rare goods from mercant/pirate contacts to a rich/farming planets rotation.

Got best ship with the best stuff... and it change nothing, just bigger numbers.
That is a good haul then. Congrats.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Always be trading..
It's always better to have some cargo, even if it's some scrap metal, it'll pay the fuel costs at least. One easy thing is to check where the goods you can buy are in demand (by world type) and plan your route around that.

just be sure to watch for Conflicts and Rumors. You can exploit these too.
Spying may not make you a ton of money, but the leverage is the Intel which can help you grow Faction and Personal Rep with Contacts.
Exploring, while risky, is also a worthwhile action as you can find goods that you will sell at pure profit.
Patrolling will net you some okay money, but also allows you to assist in some Conflicts and allow you to take on ships that might be sneaking around.
Blockading will help you find pirates and smugglers. You can lift Permitted goods from Pirates at no real loss of Rep. Just be sure not to destroy the pirate ship.
Black market can be used to sell in demand and rare trade goods...

Want your missions and other actions to garner you even more credits? Start buying Military ranks with friendly Factions. The higher the Mil rank and even Edicts, the better paying and tougher missions you can get.

I hope that helps you Captain, to make better informed decisions so that you can start building your own personal fleet of ships.

Also ransomning ships after defeating can rapidly bring some money.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Actually, they wanted to add tiers to rare trade goods.

LordofSyn

Scholar
Actually, they wanted to add tiers to rare trade goods.
They are nowhere near finished with supporting this game. You can expect more content weekly for at least the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
Rare trade goods are 100% broken, easy profit of over 1k/piece and you can get how many you want.

Also someone explain how the "engine destroyed, you lost the battle" works, i lost/won battles at turn 3 with almost full hp.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Rare trade goods are 100% broken, easy profit of over 1k/piece and you can get how many you want.

Also someone explain how the "engine destroyed, you lost the battle" works, i lost/won battles at turn 3 with almost full hp.
Some weapons do component damage, regardless of the Armor/HP damage. Maybe it is one of the damage types. Torpedoes for instance can damage components even with full armor.

Jinn

Arcane
Combat is a bit repetitive indeed, and is among the weaker aspects of the game.

Do you think that this is something they can improve upon working off the base combat system that they have? Or is this probably going to stay the same?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Combat is a bit repetitive indeed, and is among the weaker aspects of the game.

Do you think that this is something they can improve upon working off the base combat system that they have? Or is this probably going to stay the same?

Revamping a few of the existing abilities, and introducing more sidegrades and equipment options would improve it a lot. As MadMaxHellfire said, the fondations are solid, but some more content would really flesh it out: The system itself is OK, but currently, there is little reason not to always do the same thing, as ships are straight upgrades of each other, and weapons are too.

Last edited:

LordofSyn

Scholar
These recent posts are the kind of feedback that Cory and Andrew want. You can add suggestions on their Forums without even registering and/or make Steam Discussion posts addressing them with any suggestions on how to make them better.

They are, after all, a Two man team and they have already discussed how the Ship combat will be dramatically upgraded once the Small Craft combat is added.

As for the RTGs, I am sure they are aware that it is slightly unbalanced and will be looking at ways to put enough balance in without killing the good feeling of making some nice stacks of credits from taking advantage of those RTGs.

They had one Dev roadmap for EA and are now working on a secondary Dev roadmap from here on out. They are still working on satisfying all of the Backer tiered aspects first.

Jinn

Arcane
These recent posts are the kind of feedback that Cory and Andrew want. You can add suggestions on their Forums without even registering and/or make Steam Discussion posts addressing them with any suggestions on how to make them better.

They are, after all, a Two man team and they have already discussed how the Ship combat will be dramatically upgraded once the Small Craft combat is added.

As for the RTGs, I am sure they are aware that it is slightly unbalanced and will be looking at ways to put enough balance in without killing the good feeling of making some nice stacks of credits from taking advantage of those RTGs.

They had one Dev roadmap for EA and are now working on a secondary Dev roadmap from here on out. They are still working on satisfying all of the Backer tiered aspects first.

Likewise, you seem active in their community. Maybe you should point them over to this thread?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom