Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Star Traders: Frontiers - space sandbox game by Trese Brothers

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Taka-Haradin puolipeikko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Click here and disable ads!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/star-traders-2-rpg/description
    Closed Alpha should be released January 2017.

Game seems to have some similarities with Mandate in scope, but at least Trese Brothers have some decent games (Heroes of Steel, Templar Battleforce) under their belt, so perhaps this one won't be vaporware.
    They have been quite diligent with their kickstarter updates. Last one came just under a week ago.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/star-traders-2-rpg/posts/1773322

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zarniwoop Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Star Traders 1 is basically a good game for 10 minutes until you realize there's no variety, no real randomness, no real economy and no real exploration. It's basically 2d Freelancer without funky grafixx so not really gonna fap too much over this one.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Not only do they have games under their belt but they have amazing customer support, frequently engage with players, listen to feedback and they support, patch and improve their games very extensively and long after release. Considering its only two guys basically, I have no clue how they manage to do it, its quite amazing. No way this is going to be vaporware.

I have only played Templar Battleforce so far but it was a big positive surprise. Looks like mobile crap on first glance but has incredibly well designed and fun turn-based combat, so I will definitely keep my eyes on this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    It was one of their first games and for mobile. Since then they have continually improved/expanded further games with complexity.

It was some months ago where I thought combining Star Traders with Templar Battleforce would be extremely cool. It seems they had the same thoughts.
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  5. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Yet scope of this game will be wholly different from say Templar Battleforce.
    Whereas TB was squad based tactical game with handmade missions; this promises to have motivation engine guided crewmen and NPCs with their own goals, 3 different battle systems (ship to ship, boarding and planetary missions) and procedurally generated galaxy with handmade content included.

It simply is vastly more ambitious project than what they have done before.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zarniwoop Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Sounds like the pitch for Scam Citizen or Nu Males Sky or Spore or X4: Stillbirth. I want to love again but I've had my heart broken by pretentious devs with faggy beards one too many times.

Will wait for the 85% off Steam sale with all dlc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    ^ Top  
  7. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    The battle systems look a lot simpler than Templar Battleforce in this update, though I don't know if that's simply a place holder or the final design.

^ Top  
  8. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Looks like there are three layers of combat, ship battle, boarding and ground combat. The ground combat looks pretty much like TB, looks like the same engine.

^ Top  
  9. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    I guess we'll find out this month. Is anyone getting the alpha?

^ Top  
  10. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/star-traders-2-rpg/posts/1773322

I'm not one of those $50 backers.

^ Top  
  12. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/star-traders-2-rpg/posts/1796591

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. cpmartins Cipher

cpmartins
    Parrots:
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Yes.
    Though Twitch playback isn't working correctly for me currently.

^ Top  
  16. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    The concept is great and I am sure the gameplay will be great too but they really need to get the memo about PC UI design. Even though this is PC exclusive (I think?) you can tell they have been developing for mobile a lot, some of these boxes are so fuckhuge.That was the one thing that annoyed me about Templar Battleforce too but there it was somewhat excusable.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    ^ Top  
  17. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    It's not.
    They are doing the mobile versions simultaneously with PC.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    That explains it then. I guess I'll have to live with it.

^ Top  
  19. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Graphics are nice. I prefer Homeworld-style ship combat compared to this, however. Star Wolves was fun.

^ Top  
  21. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tresebrothers/star-traders-2-rpg/posts/1863819

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this one as the Trese Brothers have been doing this for awhile and seem to be improving with each release. I must admit however that I did expect something a bit more exciting from crew and ship combat than what I saw in the Twitch gameplay session. Perhaps they'll expand further upon it though. Will keep an eye on this one, especially as they seem to have gotten a decent budget for the first time.

Do love their universes. These guys are unashamed nerds who build their gamestudio from a mom and dad photo store and base their gameworlds on their own pnp gaming. And it shows. They throw in everything from Dune to WH40K to Blade Runner and somehow it works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
  24. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    any alpha let's plays yet?

^ Top  
  25. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Nah. Closed alpha so no non-developler let's plays or streams.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)