Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Star Lords, new 4X game (with turn based combat)

Destroid

Arcane
Icerberg Interactive have a real stranglehold on publishing in the space 4x genre.

How's the tactical combat?

Space 4x is the one genre I always want to love, but for some reason it just always seems to fall flat. I like Distant Worlds, and I guess that was the closest one I can think of to a good one, but even that one was very flawed.

Took me a while, but here it is.

No Content: The Alpha, The Game.

This is certainly no MoO when it comes to planet/system management or development. You have a few buildings (some unlocked through research) to develop each planet according to it's size (aka population and construction capacity). There are also fertility and richness modifiers which decide on whether you turn it into a bank/research hub or a shipyard.

As for political/social management, not much here, at least not yet. You are unable to change government type in this version, no social policies/sliders except for tax rate. Research is kind of the same, with many uninteresting and bland projects.

As for combat, I wasn't much impressed. There are only 4 ship types with no ship design at all, just choosing what sort of weapon/armor you want and setting it loose. Tactical turn based combat could be good with some variations but so far it's just an empty space of hexes and ships moving on it.

I'll wait for a complete release then try it again. So far the only thing it made me do was replay and re-evaluate my opinion on MoO 3

They made MoO 3 look good, what can I say?

After this, the only possible choice for a solid 4x is Distant Worlds. For the price of a 100 buxx.

Honestly, how many new space 4x games came out in just last few years? AFAIK only title worth playing is Distant Worlds with caveat that you can stomach RT. Am I missing out on some notable titles?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, how many new space 4x games came out in just last few years? AFAIK only title worth playing is Distant Worlds with caveat that you can stomach RT. Am I missing out on some notable titles?

A lot titles came out actually but they were all generic and flawed.

Eyeball

Arcane
Played this for a while in its current state. It is VERY rough, but you can definitely see the framework of something worthwhile there. It's basically a brutally ripped off Galciv2, but with a lot of Paradoxian game mechanics added as well. I can't comment on how balanced or well implemented this is yet, but I think it shows promise.

Will be watching updates with interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom