Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Star Lords, new 4X game (with turn based combat)

Stardrive is garbage. It has a few nice ideas but other than that it's doesn't do anything particularly well (except perhaps ship design) and tbh it's just not that fun. Perhaps it will improve drastically until the release date but judging by the past alphas and this beta I wouldn't put my money on that. If you like 2D I'd rather go for distant worlds.

Man that's disappointing. That spacesector preview seemed very promising, as the guy seems to be a Moo fan. There's Star Lords to wait for then at least. :)

Marobug

It's not total shit, the UI looks nice and it has some good art (mixed with shit art). It's a nice little indie game, it's just no match for Star Lords or Endless Space (which I didn't like much tbh) and it seems (according to the forums) they are thinking about pricing it between 20$ and 30$ which is absurd. I paid 25$ (IIRC) for the beta access while it was on kickstarter and I honestly regret having put my money on it. This is a 10$ game through and through.

Marobug

I pre ordered when it was still Alpha 1, and it's Alpha 3 now. Personally I love it and the game improved quite a lot since the first public Alpha. As of the last version, the game is also very stable, didn't crash once for me.
There is still some balancing and bug fixing to do but the diplomacy and espionage modules are already the best in any 4x game imo, and overall the game is pretty fun to play. Also the tactical combat can be skipped if you don't like turn based combat.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Good to hear. Recent 4Xs were horrible, Endless Space only looked nice and Legends of Peragus - let's not even speak of it. StarDrive has potential, but it's real-time, and that's a big disadvantage.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Why is it so difficult to make a good MoO2 clone with updated graphics?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I thought this thread would be about the old MOO prototype.

Looks sorta neat, will probably try once it's more finished.

Marobug

Heh the dude is playing a old version from september at least, it didn't have ship customization then and I spotted some old portraits and ships that aren't in the latest builds anymore. The current art assets and ships look miles better.

Having just bought Stardrive and played for a day and a half, I've got to say Star lords is my last hope for the genre. The latest build is actually more polished and stable than stardrive at release ffs. My first minute with SD was me booting up the game, changing the resolution, and having the game CTD.
It's too early to give a better comparison between the two because I haven't played SD all that much, but so far it feels as though SL has more content, feels more polished and is overall a lot more fun.
Will give a more accurate comparison between the two in the coming days.

DakaSha

Arcane
Almost bought and then saw this:
Human-like AI that doesn’t cheat and plays by the same rules as human players, while presenting a constant challenge

Fuck them, I dont like being lied to.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Star Lords is an epic, complex, dense, turn-based 4X PC strategy game, set in deep space. Take command of one race to join the struggle for supremacy in the galaxy. As the leader of your empire you are tasked with exploring the stars, colonizing new worlds, managing your empire and conquering whoever dares to oppose you.
From these screenshots I didn't seen complex, but it reminds a bit of Pax Imperia 2.

It might be a decent game, if they did that spying properly.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Humans have a wide range of cerebral abilities so I don't think they are lying. Doesn't mean the ai will be genius level, since most humans certainly are not. Even going by the average is not very promising.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What was the last difficult game that required brain you have finished?

whatevername

Arcane
Most AIs are human-like in recent strategy games... And that's because humans with an extra chromosome are still human.

ship design is stolen from eve online.
Send an email to CCP legal dept.

Last edited:

Marobug

I pre ordered a year ago, before the game arrived on steam. Got my key yesterday and spent the whole day playing.

Short review: it's by far the best 4x game I've played in recent years.
I really like some new concepts it introduces, kinda plays like EU in space, even more so than the pre alpha builds I played back then.
The AI doesn't seem to cheat from what I've seen. You can have your spies monitor and investigate how AI controlled players are doing and so far I haven't spotted any weird behavior that could indicate cheating.
I'll need more time to go over everything but so far I can easily say I got a lot more than I expected when I pre order.
Another note, it's still alpha/early access but it's already more stable than several 4x were at release (ie sots2,stardrive,legends of pegasus). Didn't crash once for me and save for a bug or two it's looking very good in this department.

Eyeball

Arcane
Turn based combat in a 4X is, to me, unappealing.

Does it have autoresolve? I love Imperialism, but I could never stomach the tactical combat, so I just autoresolved it all.

DakaSha

Arcane
apart from he obvious lying about the AI, the generic ass boring look also put me off

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom