Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Star Lords, new 4X game (with turn based combat)

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1.0.14 August 9th, 2012

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS
Added a new information panel in Battle Mode displaying individual ships with a health bar and their statistics.
The AI can now retrofit its fleets (no more fleet spamming).
Added the 'Auto-Explore' fleet action.
Ships can now retreat through wormholes.
Added the current effects of cooperation agreements in their tooltip, in the diplomatic screen.

INVASION
Added a visual effect on the invasion circle to show how much a player invading a system will gain at the next turn.
Added an invasion status tooltip in offense & defense, as well as an invasion icon next to the system’s name with the number of turns.
Changed the condition for starting an invasion (MP>=2.5*Defense -> MP>=Defense).
Changed the invasion formula (Loss=MP / Defense -> Loss = minLoss+MP /Defense).

MODDING
Added a modding screen to load a custom mod.
Added the loaded mod’s name under the game’s version number on the title screen.
All XML files now read from directory <my documents>\Endless Space\modding\yourmod (you can directly launch one with "+mod yourmod" in the Steam command line).
Created a Modding Tutorial available in the Modding forum.
Created two example mods that can be downloaded in the Modding forum.

BALANCING & TRAITS
Changed antimissile and missile evasion values to match other weapons' values when it comes to percent bonuses (hero, ship level…).
Missiles will now gain evasion % against anti-missiles through Hero offense and Ship leveling.
Increased the defense effects of the hero abilities and faction traits.
Decreased both laser and shield efficiencies. Lasers have more chances to hit than other weapons but deal less damage, and shields are more efficient against Lasers than other Defense types against their own Weapon type.
Added an Economy faction trait which changes initial dust for 1 or 2 points, called “Dust Archeology” (negative effect is “Dust Starved”).
Changed some faction trait costs.
Changed the values of the 'Sloppy Sawbones' faction trait (+25% / +50% => +50% / +100%).
Removed the ‘Isolationists’ faction trait.
Improved the customization point number for the Pilgrims affinity (60 => 65).
Reduced the effects of the 'Civil Engineer' hero ability (+25 ind => +15 ind).
Increased the defense effects of the hero abilities and faction traits.

OTHER
Shift+Click in the Tech tree allows you to deselect a tech (and the ones that depend on it).
Right clicking in the lobby, while being the host, prompts a warning message to avoid inadvertently quitting the session and losing all parameters.
Added several hero portraits.
Added the Sheredyn loading screen and the hologram in the Diplomacy view (Emperor Edition).
The science gained per turn is now displayed in the Empire View.
Added a “diplomatic” status for dead factions.

FIXES
IMPORTANT FIXES
Fixed an issue where an empire was not eliminated after losing all its systems.
Fixed an issue where game event duration was not modified by game speed.
Fixed an issue where the user could create Amoeba, Pilgrims, Sowers, and Empire affiliated factions worth 65 points.
Fixed an issue where the defeat announcement, when continuing a game after a defeat, would pop up several times.

OTHER FIXES
Fixed an issue where an assert message was received when ending the turn, caused by the auto explore feature.
Fixed an issue where the “Camouflage” battle card’s sound could be heard several times per round.
Fixed an issue where the alliance indicator didn’t disappear after the empire’s death.
Fixed an issue where the resource tooltips continued to inform the player that he possessed a certain resource, even if he no longer had access to it.
Fixed an issue where the resource terms showed the opposing empires’ tooltip on mouse-over.
Fixed an issue where removing a negative trait to create a Sophon custom faction removed points from the total.
Fixed an issue where intercept no longer worked after applying a change to a fleet (like a merge).
Fixed an issue where the resource tooltips did not acknowledge the reception of a new resource through trade, therefore displaying that this resource had to be researched in order to use a certain tech.
Fixed an issue where a player could not request more resources than the value requested on the first trade.
Fixed an issue where the Adaptive Industrial Systems improvement could cause negative food values.
Fixed an issue where it was still possible to combine Black Thumbs and the Sowers Affinity via a specific manipulation.
Fixed an issue where custom factions with 'Eternal War' see the Alliance tech unlock.
Fixed an issue where custom factions with 'Cravers Affinity' but without 'Eternal War' are not able to make alliances.
Fixed an issue where the Revenge trait could be cumulated after consistenly losing a system to an invader.
Fixed an issue where an assert message was received while blockading a majority of an empire’s systems.
Fixed sound issues.
Fixed several localization issues.
Fixed several text issues.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thats more like balancing and bug fixing rather than much needed expansion of features.

Norfleet

Anyway, it seems like it is Starfarer vs. Star Lords vs. Endless Space vs. Legend of Pegasus.
Starfarer is a combat engine without a game. Star Lords is vaporware. Pegasus sucked. Endless Space therefore wins, but you know that saying about the Special Olympics.

Marobug

On what grounds do you base yourself to say Star Lords is going to be vaporware ? They already have a working alpha and it's pretty stable at least for me. They are already running pre-orders and the release date is not too far away, in the worst case scenario they can release the game in an unfinished state a la SOTS 2.

Norfleet

On what grounds do you base yourself to say Star Lords is going to be vaporware ?
Going to be? I can't tell you what something is GOING to be. I can tell you what it presently *IS*, and at present, that thing is "vaporware".

They already have a working alpha and it's pretty stable at least for me.
Proves nothing. Projects go tits up in this stage all the time. People said that about Magna Mundi, too. Have we learned nothing from THAT debacle? The alleged existence of a "working alpha", assuming that you've actually seen that, is clearly not proof of non-vaporware status. If you actually believe that this represents proof that something will not be vaporware, you probably also think Grimoire is going to actually be made, too. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

They are already running pre-orders and the release date is not too far away, in the worst case scenario they can release the game in an unfinished state a la SOTS 2.
No, in the worst case scenario it goes tits up like Magna Mundi.

Marobug

Magna mundi went tits up because paradox shut it down. In this case and considering they are publishing the game themselves they would need to be completely retarded to just abandon the game when they could be making some $$ by releasing it even if it was unfinished. Plus abandoning the game at this stage with preorders open would be only destroy their careers and could even lead to lawsuits.
And what the fuck are you talking about, how is Star Lords vaporware already if it was announced like a week ago and the last update was released like yesterday?

Norfleet

Magna mundi went tits up because paradox shut it down. In this case and considering they are publishing the game themselves they would need to be completely retarded to just abandon the game when they could be making some $$ by releasing it even if it was unfinished.
Not proof of anything. If anything, indy projects wind up as vaporware more often than not. The Codex is literally littered with indy projects that have failed to materialize. "Completely retarded" is not a thing you can ever rule out, anyway.

And what the fuck are you talking about, how is Star Lords vaporware already if it was announced like a week ago and the last update was released like yesterday?
"Vaporware already" implies that vaporware is not the default state. Things are, by default, vaporware. They cease being vaporware when they actually materialize. It has always been vaporware. Surely you should be familiar with this by now. HOW many overhyped things here have consistently failed to materialize? This is the rule, not the exception.

In any event, that was not the point of the discussion: I was just responding to DwarvenFood's matchup on which of the 4 was winning, and the rather lopsided nature of the matchup.

mr.doo

Educated
So you theory is, that every game is vaporware until released ?
"HOW many overhyped things here have consistently failed to materialize? This is the rule, not the exception."
" indy projects wind up as vaporware more often than not. "
"Completely retarded" is not a thing you can ever rule out, anyway."

Why do I even bother I don't know.

So bros if you have money for only 1 of those four games, and Star Lords turns out not to be vaporware, it would be your choice of a good and interesting (without being soulless like gal civ) 4x space game (Star Lords I mean)?

Norfleet

That would be incredibly hard to say, given that one cannot assess the precise nature and quality of vaporware. That is why it is vaporware. Besides, I don't think Starfarer qualifies as a 4x by any stretch of the imagination. It's a combat game, probably more analagous to GSB, except you get to push buttons, and this is using the term "game" rather loosely. Pegasus is terrible, so you have two contenders: Vaporware and Endless Space. The quality of vaporware cannot be assessed since it doesn't exist. Therefore, the winner is the game that actually exists.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well you know Norfleet, you can assess the overall quality by playing the alpha version, it's not total vaporware mind you - it does exist, albeit not in the form that it's going to be at on release but you and me both know it will not differ much. If anything it will be improved upon.

So in short - if you don't mind playing an alpha version until the end of the year, go for Star Lords, and otherwise go for Endless Space. Disregard Star Farer and Pegasus.

Well you know Norfleet, you can assess the overall quality by playing the alpha version, it's not total vaporware mind you - it does exist, albeit not in the form that it's going to be at on release but you and me both know it will not differ much. If anything it will be improved upon.

So in short - if you don't mind playing an alpha version until the end of the year, go for Star Lords, and otherwise go for Endless Space. Disregard Star Farer and Pegasus.

I watched some Endless Space gameplay, and it didn't impress me much, seemed bland and soulless. Well except for some beautiful artwork in there. Are Star Lords substantially better than Endless Space, or just marginally?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Personally I only played Endless Space, but codexian preference seems to lean towards Star Lords. I think it is more complex and has better combat (from what I've seen and heard).

KoolNoodles

Arcane
My initial impressions of Endless Space were very good. Artwork, races, graphics, tech tree, planets etc. gave me hope. At the end of every play session however, I was left thinking that there was always something missing or something that I wanted in the game, or something that wasn't implemented well enough. Because this persisted after every single time I picked the game up, I ended up stopping and losing interest. That's Endless Space for you.

Not having played Star Lords, all I am at this point is intrigued.

Marobug

I watched some Endless Space gameplay, and it didn't impress me much, seemed bland and soulless. Well except for some beautiful artwork in there. Are Star Lords substantially better than Endless Space, or just marginally?
Do you mean in terms of general quality or just artwork?

Do you mean in terms of general quality or just artwork?

General quality. But you can comment on artwork too.

Misconnected

Savant

I don't know about Star Lords, but Endless Space isn't worth your time. It's very pretty and its My First 4X-like design is rock solid. Unfortunately there's just not a lot there beyond the tech tree, and the tech tree doesn't really open up the game in the way I've come to expect from 4X games. It really is a pixie 4X.
Which, of course, wouldn't be a problem and indeed might make for an interesting change of pace, if the AI hadn't been ridiculously bad. As it is, you probably have to be at least moderately brain damaged to find something worthwhile in Endless Space.

So, all these 4x space games seem disappointing (well except Star Lords perhaps), so I found a possible nice game (even though it is real time, but it can be paused whenever you want so you can plan and use tactics all you want).

I've found a nice preview of it, seems great so far, but if any of you played it, care to share some impressions?

Here's the preview: http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/08/stardrive-hands-on-beta-preview/

It was on kickstarter, but I missed it.

And there's some really nice artwork and footage on the official site: http://stardrivegame.com/

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't know about Star Lords, but Endless Space isn't worth your time. It's very pretty and its My First 4X-like design is rock solid. Unfortunately there's just not a lot there beyond the tech tree, and the tech tree doesn't really open up the game in the way I've come to expect from 4X games. It really is a pixie 4X.
Which, of course, wouldn't be a problem and indeed might make for an interesting change of pace, if the AI hadn't been ridiculously bad. As it is, you probably have to be at least moderately brain damaged to find something worthwhile in Endless Space.

I just checked and Endless Space is still officially in Alpha. Obviously it's unfinished and the AI sucks.

I just checked and Endless Space is still officially in Alpha. Obviously it's unfinished and the AI sucks.

But they already announced a new expansion pack. It will fix the game battle system. It's just that you need to fork out more money, for that xpac, for the things that should have been in the game from beginning. :roll:

Marobug

Stardrive is garbage. It has a few nice ideas but other than that it's doesn't do anything particularly well (except perhaps ship design) and tbh it's just not that fun. Perhaps it will improve drastically until the release date but judging by the past alphas and this beta I wouldn't put my money on that. If you like 2D I'd rather go for distant worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom