Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Star Lords, new 4X game (with turn based combat)

oscar

Arcane
I like the idea of a space game with a more EUIII style. Hopefully will be a bit less frantic race to colonise faster than everyone else/annihilate the enemy (lots of nations and an infamy system go a long way to forcing players to slow things down).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well the diplomacy area is unlike anything I've seen in a 4x game. You have casus belli, reputation matters a lot, you can set embargos, warn a faction someone is asking for support against them etc.
The espionage area is pretty awesome as well, you can order your spies to assassinate ministers from another faction, you can get useful information like how many funds they have, and they are doing economically, how many ships and armies they have etc.

The ai is pretty good already, and the devs say it doesn't cheat (personally it does look like they are telling the truth, I never noticed anything and if it did you could discover easily thanks to the espionage module).

Planet management is incredibly well designed as well. If you build too many factories the planet will go into over exploitation and the resources will slowly deplete, you have to be careful with the security and health of the population, etc. The really cool thing is, unlike moo2 where the game forces you to micromanage each colony, in star lords you don't feel the need to. Even if you have 30 planets you don't feel overwhelmed because you don't have to babysit each one, and you can access all the relevant info for each in the planets menu.

The equivalent of leaders is called ministers. They have a certain age and they can die of old age or by assassination (possibly other causes, these two are the only ones I got so far). They are pretty expensive to maintain but they usually bring significant bonuses like better trade, diplomacy, etc.

The game has loads of potential and it's already pretty fun to play. I recommend it, it's really good.

Looks very interesting tbh. A 4x with deep diplomacy, really distinct races and all sorts of whistles and bells like planetery invasions, bombardments, space elevators and stations, civil wars or other forms of faction infighting, space monsters, asteroids which can be mined, towed into orbit or dumped on planets, minor races and not to mention atmosphere through descritions, items, ruins and all that other stuff that comes from a good attention to detail would be my dream game. After MoOII I expected to see one in a few years. It's been a long time since. Let's hope the current torrent of 4x games will provide it or at least make it possible.

Anyway, rambling. Hungover. Srry.

Mortmal

Arcane
However people in the tacticular cancer thread are saying its horrible... i dont know how to believe.

Bulba

Learned
ship design is stolen from eve online.

You realy love to piss on someone's bonfire, don't you?

This game sounds realy fun, I would preorder it, but I hate playing unfinished games... though I might anyway just this once.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It makes for some raw news.

Anyway, it seems like it is Starfarer vs. Star Lords vs. Endless Space vs. Legend of Pegasus.

Don't think anyone played all four of them yet, all seem interesting in certain ways.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I really like the UI of Endless Space and the planetary conditions you can find. Colonising a planet with a debris field of space rubbish covering orbit (with bonuses and penalties attached) due to another species once calling it home gives the game universe a very cool lived in feel. Endless Space really nailed that aspect.

Shame it lacks so much else atm.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
As soon as I get an extended play video that shows what I'm being told, I'll spring for a pre-order. Until then though, I hate trailers.

As soon as I get an extended play video that shows what I'm being told, I'll spring for a pre-order. Until then though, I hate trailers.

Yeah, I agree. I long for a good space 4x. With space monsters, natives on planets, various random events and interesting planets to explore. Does this game have that?

Marobug

It has all that except space monsters (or at least I didn't find any). Each planet has special traits like vulcanos, big canyons, ancient ruins (probably something to do with the game lore, sadly they haven't disclosed it much yet) etc that give specific bonuses or penalties.

It has all that except space monsters (or at least I didn't find any). Each planet has special traits like vulcanos, big canyons, ancient ruins (probably something to do with the game lore, sadly they haven't disclosed it much yet) etc that give specific bonuses or penalties.

Very nice. Seems to me of all this influx of new space 4x this one seems the most promising, all all others aren't something great as far as I can see from the comments (pegasus, endless space...)

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For me it's this versus Endless Space: same price range, star farer has no multiplayer, and Pegasus does not seem to be any good, especially for the crazy price they want for it. Still on the fence which one to get, I do like how Endless Space handles combat in three phases.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Endless Space's last patch does improve the game heaps. Plus it points towards the devs caring enough to keep improving the game.

Shame that it needs at least an expansion or two to become good. It's simply too limited in most aspects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom